JBX and XMLSpy licensing

2004-01-27 01:06:05 AM
jbuilder24
Can anyone clarify for me what license (if any) for XMLSpy is part of JBX?
Is the enterprise edition of XML Spy that installs with JBX just a demo
(advertising), or is there an actual license? We are already license XMLSpy
professional separately from JBuilder, and have it installed on developer
seats. When installing JBX as an upgrade to JB9, and also choosing to
install XMLSpy as part of JBX, the enterprise version of XMLSpy installs on
top of the professional, and then is not runnable since the enterprise
installs with no license of its own and conflicts with the pre-existing
professional license. I looked around the JBX install doc and materials,
and also on this newsgroup, and see nothing in the way of licensing other
than the ability to ask for a 30-day trial. For obvious reasons we don't
want the 30-day trial key.
If there's no license, then obviously we need to stick with what we have and
not install the stuff from JBuilder. If there is a license, how do I obtain
a valid (non-trial) license key?
Thanks in advance for any info...

Re:JBX and XMLSpy licensing

Steve Olson wrote:
[...]

If you install that XMLSpy version that comes with JBuilder, and then
actually READ the screen in the licensing manager, you will get the
answer to your question.
Yes, you get a license for XMLSpy (FREE PERMANENT license for XMLSpy for
Borland). No, it isn't the Enterprise edition. But you get to "trial"
the Enterprise edition for 30 days.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Re:JBX and XMLSpy licensing

Thanks, but I guess I'm still being dense after READing :-)
1) The License Manager screen shows only a button for requesting a 30-day
evaluation license,
a button for purchasing a key (which I don't want), a button for entering a
key (that I don't have), and a button for
deleting a key (which I have to use to delete our pre-existing professional
key to get the enterprise edition to work).
2) I can find no key for a non-evaluation use of any version, nor a way to
ask for one.
3) Our pre-existing professional license key does not work since the
enterprise edition is installed by JBX, so
a new key is required
Is there a chance that because this is installing on top of an existing
install, that I'm seeing a different Altova Licensing
Manager? Otherwise, I don't see a way to request the permanent key that you
are indicating should be obvious to me. The Properties of the license
manager shortcut I'm running say this is the "XMLSPY 2004 Borland Edition",
so it looks correct to me, at least on the surface.
Anyway, is the XMLSpy license that does come with JBX equivalent to the
Professional edition of XMLSpy,
or Home edition, or is it functionally different from both? If it is
equivalent to Professional, how do I get a permanent license key? And do I
have to individually request a key for each of the 30 JBX seats we license?
Thanks again for your help and any additional info. We'll go ahead and
contact our Borland rep too for answers to these questions...

"Steve Olson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Is there a chance that because this is installing on top of an
existing
install, that I'm seeing a different Altova Licensing
Manager?
Maybe. Mine says:
-----
ALTOVA Licensing Manager
Welcome to the ALTOVA Licensing Manager!
ALTOVA provides a complete product line of software applications for
developing XML-based solutions.
As a benefit to you, we are providing you with a FREE permanent license
to the XMLSPY Borland Edition. In addition, your FREE license key will
also allow you to evaluate the full feature-set of XMLSPY Enterprise
Edition for 30 days.
-----
It then continues on to say:
1. To request your FREE key-code to unlock the XMLSPY Borland Edition =>
<Request a FREE license key...>
Having said that, I do have some kind of problem with my XMLSPY license.
I requested my "FREE permanent" license on 11/3/2003. It has since
expired, and I don't seem to have any kind of "FREE permanent" license
at all. I just requested a new one and got back a reply telling me my
trial period has expired. I guess I'll need to contact ALTOVA.
Anyway, is the XMLSpy license that does come with JBX equivalent to
the
Professional edition of XMLSpy,
That's a good question. I haven't found a place where it explains in
any detail what is and isn't included in the "Borland Edition."
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:JBX and XMLSpy licensing

Yup, mine's the one that comes with the standard Altova XMLSpy Professional
install, even though the new shortcut from the JBuilder install says the
XMLSpy Licensing Manager is the "Borland Edition". There must be an issue
here with the JBX install of XMLSpy when there's an pre-existing XMLSpy
install. That's good to know, Thanks!
We're gonna see what our sales-rep says about all this stuff. If this
XMLSpy edition is a worthwhile thing, we'd like to find a better way to get
it working. We use the Borland License server to manage our JBX licenses
and thought that it would get us out of the business of hand-holding each
developer through a registration process to get legal. It works great with
JBX but not for this :-). If the Borland sales-rep has more information
about how to get a permanent license, I can post it here for anyone that is
interested.
news:40156165$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Is there a chance that because this is installing on top of an
existing
>install, that I'm seeing a different Altova Licensing
>Manager?

Maybe. Mine says:

-----
ALTOVA Licensing Manager

Welcome to the ALTOVA Licensing Manager!

ALTOVA provides a complete product line of software applications for
developing XML-based solutions.

As a benefit to you, we are providing you with a FREE permanent license
to the XMLSPY Borland Edition. In addition, your FREE license key will
also allow you to evaluate the full feature-set of XMLSPY Enterprise
Edition for 30 days.
-----

It then continues on to say:

1. To request your FREE key-code to unlock the XMLSPY Borland Edition =>
<Request a FREE license key...>

Having said that, I do have some kind of problem with my XMLSPY license.
I requested my "FREE permanent" license on 11/3/2003. It has since
expired, and I don't seem to have any kind of "FREE permanent" license
at all. I just requested a new one and got back a reply telling me my
trial period has expired. I guess I'll need to contact ALTOVA.

>Anyway, is the XMLSpy license that does come with JBX equivalent to
the
>Professional edition of XMLSpy,

That's a good question. I haven't found a place where it explains in
any detail what is and isn't included in the "Borland Edition."

--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:JBX and XMLSpy licensing

Just as confirmation, we installed JBX and XMLSpy on a clean machine (no
pre-existing XMLSpy install), and we get the License Manager dialog you
refer to. However if we push the button to get a key for unlocking the
license, we get a response from XXXX@XXXXX.COM same as if we ask for a
30-day eval license key. And License Manager shows this key from
XXXX@XXXXX.COM to be a 30-day key. So just as you mentioned, we also
see no way to get anything other than a 30-day trial license.
I also still don't know what the difference in feature-sets are between
"Professional Edition" and "Borland Edition" of XMLSpy. We've got a question
into our rep on that one. It's beginning to look to me like like this was
just marketing and there is no permanent license. If there is, the process
sure seems broken...
Thanks Gillmer for your info and your time...
"Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"Steve Olson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:40156165$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Is there a chance that because this is installing on top of an
existing
>install, that I'm seeing a different Altova Licensing
>Manager?

Maybe. Mine says:

-----
ALTOVA Licensing Manager

Welcome to the ALTOVA Licensing Manager!

ALTOVA provides a complete product line of software applications for
developing XML-based solutions.

As a benefit to you, we are providing you with a FREE permanent license
to the XMLSPY Borland Edition. In addition, your FREE license key will
also allow you to evaluate the full feature-set of XMLSPY Enterprise
Edition for 30 days.
-----

It then continues on to say:

1. To request your FREE key-code to unlock the XMLSPY Borland Edition =>
<Request a FREE license key...>

Having said that, I do have some kind of problem with my XMLSPY license.
I requested my "FREE permanent" license on 11/3/2003. It has since
expired, and I don't seem to have any kind of "FREE permanent" license
at all. I just requested a new one and got back a reply telling me my
trial period has expired. I guess I'll need to contact ALTOVA.

>Anyway, is the XMLSpy license that does come with JBX equivalent to
the
>Professional edition of XMLSpy,

That's a good question. I haven't found a place where it explains in
any detail what is and isn't included in the "Borland Edition."

--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:JBX and XMLSpy licensing

Here is the description that Altova sent me:
The Borland edition of XMLSPY operates as the XMLSPY Enterprise Edition for
the first 30 days,
then becomes the XMLSPY Borland Edition, which is a non-expiring software
application whose
feature set is identical to the XMLSPY Home Edition.
the feature matrix is here: www.altova.com/matrix.html
Tim

news:40156985$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>"Steve Olson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:40156165$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>Is there a chance that because this is installing on top of an
>existing
>>install, that I'm seeing a different Altova Licensing
>>Manager?
>
>Maybe. Mine says:
>
>-----
>ALTOVA Licensing Manager
>
>Welcome to the ALTOVA Licensing Manager!
>
>ALTOVA provides a complete product line of software applications for
>developing XML-based solutions.
>
>As a benefit to you, we are providing you with a FREE permanent license
>to the XMLSPY Borland Edition. In addition, your FREE license key will
>also allow you to evaluate the full feature-set of XMLSPY Enterprise
>Edition for 30 days.
>-----
>
>It then continues on to say:
>
>1. To request your FREE key-code to unlock the XMLSPY Borland Edition =>
><Request a FREE license key...>
>
>Having said that, I do have some kind of problem with my XMLSPY license.
>I requested my "FREE permanent" license on 11/3/2003. It has since
>expired, and I don't seem to have any kind of "FREE permanent" license
>at all. I just requested a new one and got back a reply telling me my
>trial period has expired. I guess I'll need to contact ALTOVA.
>
>>Anyway, is the XMLSpy license that does come with JBX equivalent to
>the
>>Professional edition of XMLSpy,
>
>That's a good question. I haven't found a place where it explains in
>any detail what is and isn't included in the "Borland Edition."
>
>--
>Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:JBX and XMLSpy licensing

"Tim Del Chiaro" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
The Borland edition of XMLSPY operates as the XMLSPY Enterprise
Edition for
the first 30 days,
then becomes the XMLSPY Borland Edition, which is a non-expiring
software
application
Thanks. Unfortunately that's not what's happening in my case. It
worked as XMLSPY Enterprise for 30 days, but now it's nothing. It won't
run, and if I click the button to request a key I get back an email
telling me that I already got one and it expired. Any idea how I can
fix this?
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:JBX and XMLSpy licensing

Tim,
This is not what happens to me. The Enterprise Evaluation 30 day license
shows as expired. There is no Borland Edition license and asking for a new
one produces this message:
"Thank you for your interest in our award-winning XML product line and for
installing the Borland JBuilder version of our software!
We regret that we cannot generate an automatic key-code for you at this
time, because you have already started using this software on 2003-10-26 and
your 30-day evaluation period of the full Enterprise feature-set has,
therefore, already expired on 2003-11-25.
To continue using the full Enterprise-level feature-set, please proceed to
our secure online shop at www.altova.com/order to place your upgrade
order now.
To request technical support, or for sending feedback regarding our
products, please use our Online Support Center at
www.altova.com/support"
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a functioning PERMANENT license?
David
David W. Taylor, Detayls

news:4015811c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Just as confirmation, we installed JBX and XMLSpy on a clean machine (no
>pre-existing XMLSpy install), and we get the License Manager dialog you
>refer to. However if we push the button to get a key for unlocking the
>license, we get a response from XXXX@XXXXX.COM same as if we ask
for
>30-day eval license key. And License Manager shows this key from
> XXXX@XXXXX.COM to be a 30-day key. So just as you mentioned, we
also
>see no way to get anything other than a 30-day trial license.
>
>I also still don't know what the difference in feature-sets are between
>"Professional Edition" and "Borland Edition" of XMLSpy. We've got a
question
>into our rep on that one. It's beginning to look to me like like this
was
>just marketing and there is no permanent license. If there is, the
process
>sure seems broken...
>
>Thanks Gillmer for your info and your time...
>
>"Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:40156985$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>"Steve Olson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news:40156165$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>>Is there a chance that because this is installing on top of an
>>existing
>>>install, that I'm seeing a different Altova Licensing
>>>Manager?
>>
>>Maybe. Mine says:
>>
>>-----
>>ALTOVA Licensing Manager
>>
>>Welcome to the ALTOVA Licensing Manager!
>>
>>ALTOVA provides a complete product line of software applications for
>>developing XML-based solutions.
>>
>>As a benefit to you, we are providing you with a FREE permanent
license
>>to the XMLSPY Borland Edition. In addition, your FREE license key
will
>>also allow you to evaluate the full feature-set of XMLSPY Enterprise
>>Edition for 30 days.
>>-----
>>
>>It then continues on to say:
>>
>>1. To request your FREE key-code to unlock the XMLSPY Borland Edition
=>
>><Request a FREE license key...>
>>
>>Having said that, I do have some kind of problem with my XMLSPY
license.
>>I requested my "FREE permanent" license on 11/3/2003. It has since
>>expired, and I don't seem to have any kind of "FREE permanent" license
>>at all. I just requested a new one and got back a reply telling me my
>>trial period has expired. I guess I'll need to contact ALTOVA.
>>
>>>Anyway, is the XMLSpy license that does come with JBX equivalent to
>>the
>>>Professional edition of XMLSpy,
>>
>>That's a good question. I haven't found a place where it explains in
>>any detail what is and isn't included in the "Borland Edition."
>>
>>--
>>Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:JBX and XMLSpy licensing

XMLSpy continues to work for me after the 30 day enterprise evaluation
without my having done anything about the license. The stylesheet designer
tool however won't work and pops up a message about the license.
Mike
David W. Taylor wrote:
>This is not what happens to me. The Enterprise Evaluation 30 day
license
>shows as expired. There is no Borland Edition license and asking for a
new
>one produces this message:

The same thing happens to me. I've finally managed to convince a few
people that I'm actually experiencing a problem here. Can you give some
more information?

When you run XMLSPY, do you get thrown immediately to the license
manager dialog, or does the program come up? Have you ever installed a
different version of XMLSPY on this computer? If so, was it a purchased
version or just a trial? Which version?

--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)