Regarding the topic "Future of JBuilder? (at Borland?)"

2005-02-17 01:21:57 AM
jbuilder15
Hello,
It should be fine if, I don't know, the JBuilder program manager ...
, could give an clear answer to all the questions that have been asked in this thread.
May be it's time to give to the community the path that JBuilder will follow !
Regards.

Re:Regarding the topic "Future of JBuilder? (at Borland?)"

Franos wrote:
It should be fine if, I don't know, the JBuilder program manager ...
, could give an clear answer to all the questions that have been
asked in this thread.
You must seek JBuilder's path in Borland's press releases.
--
JP

Re:Regarding the topic "Future of JBuilder? (at Borland?)"

May be it's time to give to the community the path that JBuilder will
follow !
And what would that do?
Would you hold Borland accountable and take them to court if in 10 years
they decide to discontinue the product because sales are plumetting after
everyone moves on to Z#++ ?
Because someone IS going to do that, costing Borland potentially hundreds of
millions of dollars because of someone making a statement years and years
earlier.

{smallsort}

Jeroen Wenting wrote:
And what would that do?
Would you hold Borland accountable and take them to court if in 10
years they decide to discontinue the product because sales are
plumetting after everyone moves on to Z#++ ?
Because someone IS going to do that, costing Borland potentially
hundreds of millions of dollars because of someone making a statement
years and years earlier.
You don't want more information from Borland because it might cause
Borland problems ten years from now? You certainly are a loyal
customer.
--
JP

John Prestor wrote:
You don't want more information from Borland because it might cause
Borland problems ten years from now? You certainly are a loyal
customer.
And you want us to have a crystal ball and tell you what the future
brings. Borland doesn't even know that. We only know that Borland has
a history of keeping products current that sell well. JBuilder sells
well - so it's *probably* accurate to say that JBuilder will continue
to be developed and expanded upon.
Anyway, this discussion is becoming cyclic.
--
David Orriss Jr. *TeamB*
www.davenet.net/

Re:Regarding the topic "Future of JBuilder? (at Borland?)"

David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB] wrote:
JBuilder sells well
I don't have access to Borland's sales figures, so I had no way of
knowing that. How many copies of JBuilder were sold in 2004?
Anyway, this discussion is becoming cyclic.
Cyclic in what way? Or is that an indirect way of saying you wish to
bow out of the discussion?
--
JP

<John Prestor>wrote in message news:421bdbe4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB] wrote:

>JBuilder sells well

I don't have access to Borland's sales figures, so I had no way of
knowing that. How many copies of JBuilder were sold in 2004?

>Anyway, this discussion is becoming cyclic.

Cyclic in what way? Or is that an indirect way of saying you wish to
bow out of the discussion?

I think what David is trying to tell you is that he is not an oracle or a
seer. Perhaps you possess the spirit of Notradamus, but most of us do not :)
P.S. There is absolutely no indication from Borland that they are even
remotely contemplating dropping JBuilder from the product line. Again, there
is absolutely no indication from Borland that they are contemplating
dropping JBuilder from the product line.
But lets say that JBuilder were dropped tomarrow. Yes, that would mean a
great loss to the Java IDE world, but Java is Java, so the language and
platform would still be alive.

John Prestor wrote:
>JBuilder sells well

I don't have access to Borland's sales figures, so I had no way of
knowing that. How many copies of JBuilder were sold in 2004?
Exact numbers of units sold are not disclosed, however revenue figures
by business unit are published in the quarterly reports, so they might
be useful as an indicator.
The last quarterly report can be found here:
tinyurl.com/5o3pa
aka
www.borland.com/news/press_releases/2005/pdf/q4_2004_earnings.pdf
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Paul Nichols (TeamB) wrote:
I think what David is trying to tell you is that he is not an oracle
or a seer.
Of course not.
Perhaps you possess the spirit of Notradamus, but most of
us do not :)
More like Cassandra.
P.S. There is absolutely no indication from Borland that they are even
remotely contemplating dropping JBuilder from the product line.
Again, there is absolutely no indication from Borland that they are
contemplating dropping JBuilder from the product line.
There is absolutely no indication from Borland that they are
contemplating dropping JBuilder from the product line. Excellent. If
Borland was contemplating such a move, would they give any indication?
But lets say that JBuilder were dropped tomarrow. Yes, that would
mean a great loss to the Java IDE world, but Java is Java, so the
language and platform would still be alive.
Yes, JBuilder is not Java.
--
JP

Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
Exact numbers of units sold are not disclosed, however revenue figures
by business unit are published in the quarterly reports, so they might
be useful as an indicator.
tinyurl.com/5o3pa
Where is the breakdown by business unit? I looked through the document
and didn't see it. I see two categories of revenue, Licenses and
Services.
--
JP

<John Prestor>wrote in message news:4215dfea$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Jeroen Wenting wrote:

>And what would that do?
>Would you hold Borland accountable and take them to court if in 10
>years they decide to discontinue the product because sales are
>plumetting after everyone moves on to Z#++ ?
>Because someone IS going to do that, costing Borland potentially
>hundreds of millions of dollars because of someone making a statement
>years and years earlier.

You don't want more information from Borland because it might cause
Borland problems ten years from now? You certainly are a loyal
customer.

No, I'd love to have a longterm commitment but I fully understand why
Borland cannot and will not make one.
And yes, I am a loyal customer. I've been using Borland products since the
mid 1980s and purchased my own (previous versions were at schools and
universities) since the mid 1990s, so that makes me a bit of an oldtimer I
guess.
I don't purchase them all, don't have the money, but I do purchase one on
average every other year at least.

Jeroen Wenting wrote:
No, I'd love to have a longterm commitment but I fully understand why
Borland cannot and will not make one.
It's no mystery, companies do what is best for the company.
And yes, I am a loyal customer. I've been using Borland products
since the mid 1980s and purchased my own (previous versions were at
schools and universities) since the mid 1990s, so that makes me a bit
of an oldtimer I guess.
Right on.
--
JP