comp-sci universities without computers

2004-04-20 04:17:48 PM
jbuilder9
I would think such situation would be typical for my country, several years
ago, but I heard from colleague that lives in Germany, that he had not
computers on his university in Germany either.
His professors said that "computers are only tools to speed up some
operations".
Was that lame excuse?
(In high schools, we learned fortran and pacal on whiteboard - and teacher
was parser - it was funny how he insisted on ; on correct places.)
Do you think it is possible to learn something aplicable to real world
without actually havin an editor or IDE?