Newbie - Data access - Jbuilder X

2004-01-27 12:55:22 AM
jbuilder16
Hi,
Quick question. What should I use (class/object) to access my DB based on
the following information about my web application.
1- New web application - mostly forms.
2- Will be using Struts.
3- Database connection pool (Sybase JDBC JConnect).
4- JBuilder X
5- No third party DB layer.
I've been reading about DataModule, DataSet, DataStore, etc, but I'm not
sure where to start when building a Web application. I already build a
pilot. The pilot DB access is using a simple class and Java connection
object/methods and a connection pool I've set up. I'd like to be able to use
the DataSet capabilities like the Sort method.
I also need to cache some data for LISTS that will be displayed in some web
pages (i.e., Country list)
Thx.

Re:Newbie - Data access - Jbuilder X

In <4015467c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Pete wrote:

Quick question. What should I use (class/object) to access my DB based
on the following information about my web application.
What do you feel you are missing..?? (component wise)
What features do you require that are not supplied by what you
already have?
Do you want to abstract the database functions? And in what way?
...etc...

I've been reading about DataModule, DataSet, DataStore, etc, but I'm
not sure where to start when building a Web application.
DataModule is just a class for grouping your daabase functions.
DataSet is the "DataExpress" abstract data object.
DataStore is a Java Database.
Could you be more specific as to what you are asking..??
I'd like
to be able to use the DataSet capabilities like the Sort method.
Now there might be a motivation for using the DX components..<G>

I also need to cache some data for LISTS that will be displayed in
some web pages (i.e., Country list)
You can cache datasets (as querydataset, proceduredatasets,
tabledatasets..)
With the exception of the features of DX.. most of what you have
indicated has little to do specifically with JBuilder.. just java and
JDBC.
John..
TeamB are volunteer helpers. Please DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL!
Post all questions and replies to this newsgroup ONLY
For papers on DataExpress, Applets, JSP, and Web Development go to:
www.microps.com/mps/papers.html