Updating JBuilder 2006 embedded JDK

2006-10-01 11:22:52 PM
jbuilder19
Dear developers,
Borland JBuilder 2006 is a good software, but has quite a problem
running on my machine. When JBuilder 2006 loads "something" (I mean
when it's not idle or waiting for user input...) the mouse hangs, and
gets working only when JBuilder becomes idle.
This seems not to be a problem of JBuilder, but of JDK 1.5.0 Update 5
(which is the one bundled with JBuilder). If I replace the contents of
the "jdk1.5" subfolder with a new JDK, this problem simply disappears.
BUT... I cannot build my projects!
You can understand I'm quite... frustrated. How can I solve this
problem?

Re:Updating JBuilder 2006 embedded JDK

It's hard to tell from that description, but you should ensure that your JDK
change is being fully recognized since you changed it in an unsupported way
(see below for the right way to do this).
Go to Tools | Configure | JDKs and make sure it is defined. Note that
JBuilder uses the string that java.exe reports with the -version command
line option (so it includes update version information) to identify it.
With your project active, go to Project | Project Properties | Paths and
ensure the JDK selection matches the one that you want.
Something to be aware of is the JBuilder ships with patches and ehancements
to the JDK on which it is hosted. Perhaps those patches will no longer work
(or cause problems) if you switch to another version. These patches are
applied in \Borland\JBuilder 2006\bin\jbuilder.config. The jar files which
contain fixes are DesignerSwingFixes.jar, TabbedPaneFix.jar,
SequencedEventFix.jar, PopupFixes.jar, and AntiAliasSupport.jar.
Another thing to be aware of is the file \Borland\JBuilder
2006\bin\jdk.config tells JBuilder during startup where the JDK is located
that it should use.
"kheimon" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

I changed the JDK with the "good" method you suggested me. Now the new
JDK is fully recognized, and the mouse{*word*154} problem i solved.
But a problem still remains. After I've ran a project, then, if I
"make" it, all freezes. In other words, the program freezes while
making a project only if the project has just been run.
Quite strange, isn't it?

{smallsort}

kheimon ha scritto:
>Go to Tools | Configure | JDKs and make sure it is defined. Note that
>JBuilder uses the string that java.exe reports with the -version command
>line option (so it includes update version information) to identify it.
>
>With your project active, go to Project | Project Properties | Paths and
>ensure the JDK selection matches the one that you want.

I changed the JDK with the "good" method you suggested me. Now the new
JDK is fully recognized, and the mouse{*word*154} problem i solved.

But a problem still remains. After I've ran a project, then, if I
"make" it, all freezes. In other words, the program freezes while
making a project only if the project has just been run.

Quite strange, isn't it?
Well, not I see that there are quite a few problems changing JDK.
Design is broken, there are crashes.
Now I pointed JBuilder the original JDK, and I get the mouse problem. I
am really pissed off.

Re:Updating JBuilder 2006 embedded JDK

Did you try removing the patches I told you about? They are probably not
incompatible with the JDK you are now using to host JBuilder.
One of those patches is related to getting aroung a JDK bug which interacts
with the "progress monitor" dialog. You might trying to avoid having that
come up during a build by going to Tools | Preferences | Browser | Build and
enabling "build in background".
I think you would be better advised to go back to your original situation
and find a solution which does not involving re-hosting JBuilder on a
different JDK.

Bill Joy ha scritto:
Did you try removing the patches I told you about? They are probably not
incompatible with the JDK you are now using to host JBuilder.

One of those patches is related to getting aroung a JDK bug which interacts
with the "progress monitor" dialog. You might trying to avoid having that
come up during a build by going to Tools | Preferences | Browser | Build and
enabling "build in background".

I think you would be better advised to go back to your original situation
and find a solution which does not involving re-hosting JBuilder on a
different JDK.
I deleted the patches, but I still get a lot of problems.
Borland JBuilder works only with the bundled JDK, and on my machine (2
GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM) is too slow using that old, {*word*99}py bundled JDK.
OK, got it. I will uninstall the trial and go for Netbeans. It isn't so
powerful, but at least it works.

Bill Joy ha scritto:
Did you try removing the patches I told you about? They are probably not
incompatible with the JDK you are now using to host JBuilder.
I have no patches installed.
Borland JBuilder works only with the bundled JDK, and on my machine (2
GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM) is too slow using that old, {*word*99}py bundled JDK.
OK, got it. I will uninstall the trial and go for Netbeans. It isn't so
powerful, but at least it works.

Re:Updating JBuilder 2006 embedded JDK

Maybe the problem is really your old, {*word*99}py computer.
"kheimon" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Borland JBuilder works only with the bundled JDK, and on my machine (2
GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM) is too slow using that old, {*word*99}py bundled JDK.

OK, got it. I will uninstall the trial and go for Netbeans. It isn't so
powerful, but at least it works.

Re:Updating JBuilder 2006 embedded JDK

Maybe the problem is really your old, {*word*99}py computer.
I can run any other Java program (including, but not limited to
NetBeans) like native win32 ones.
The fact that Borland forces us to host their software on a
non-official (and quite old) JDK is simply the complete opposite of the
Java philosophy :)