understanding logic of JB7 SE setup wizards

2004-01-03 12:16:56 PM
jbuilder13
I have been trying to understand the logic of how the New Project and
new Application wizards work. It's obvious that they're doing me the
favor of snatching paths from certain entries, appending this and that,
and creating what they think is the proper directory structure: I wish I
could just name the directories where I want things explicitly, and be
saved all this time-saving. I'm getting directories with the same names
at different levels.
There isn't a way to do that, is there--name the places you want things,
and have the values stick?
Absent that, I'd appreciate a pointer to some kind of map of how/why
JB7's wizards are creating its directory structure. I take it that just
climbing into the jpx with Notepad isn't recommended.
TIA.

Re:understanding logic of JB7 SE setup wizards

Kevin Dwan wrote:
I have been trying to understand the logic of how the New Project and
new Application wizards work. It's obvious that they're doing me the
favor of snatching paths from certain entries, appending this and that,
and creating what they think is the proper directory structure: I wish I
could just name the directories where I want things explicitly, and be
saved all this time-saving. I'm getting directories with the same names
at different levels.

There isn't a way to do that, is there--name the places you want things,
and have the values stick?

Absent that, I'd appreciate a pointer to some kind of map of how/why
JB7's wizards are creating its directory structure. I take it that just
climbing into the jpx with Notepad isn't recommended.

TIA.

Well, first I'd go to the "Default" Project, and set it up to follow the
structure I wanted. All new projects are based on the default project,
and I think the wizards pull info out of there, too.
Next, I'd use emacs (not Notepad, yech!) to hack away at the jpx file.
;-)
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Re:understanding logic of JB7 SE setup wizards

The first step of the New Project wizard lets you define a
"project directory" and the name of the project file to be
created there. The other directories (e.g. source, class,
backup) are given default locations/names relative to the
project directory which you can see (and change if you don't
like them) in the second step of the wizard.
These default locations and the actual names of the
directories can be customized by providing a "template"
project in the first step. The "default project" is a
choice for being that template, and it can be customized
from the menu item for that purpose on the Project menu.
Since you are talking of directories rather than of
packages, it sounds like the problem might be that you are
not familiar with that concept. For the New Application
wizard like many others, you need to specify a package name
which acts like a platform-independent relative directory
specification. The package name (and the project source
directory marked as being the default in the active project)
determines the location where the files will be created.
Any necessary subdirectories are automatically created.
The default value suggested for the package in the various
wizards is determined by context. The suggested default is
the same package as the currently active open Java file, or
the package of the currently selected Java file in the
Project Pane, or if no other context, it is the recorded
value in the project where the last package specified in a
wizard was recorded.
"Kevin Dwan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

{smallsort}

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
[...]

Thanks, but I'm still having trouble setting this up. If we could work
with a concrete example it would help. Let's say I want to start a new
project, called Fee. This is the way I'd like to see the project
structure:
c:\JBuilder 7\jbprojects
\fee
fee.jbx
\back
\classes
\docs
\working
(and whatever else JB needs
for the fee project)
If I back up the fee directory and everything below it, I have the .jbx
and all the files associated with the project, and nothing associated
with any other project.
Can I define the Default Project to do this for me, or doesn't JB allow
this kind of structure?

Re:understanding logic of JB7 SE setup wizards

"Kevin Dwan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Can I define the Default Project to do this for me, or doesn't JB
allow
this kind of structure?
It allows that structure. Open the default project properties dialog
and make the following changes on the "Paths" tab:
1. Output path: c:\JBuilder 7\jbprojects\classes
2. Backup path: c:\JBuilder 7\jbprojects\back
3. Working directory: c:\JBuilder 7\jbprojects\working
4. Source: ?
5. Documentation: c:\JBuilder 7\jbprojects\docs
I'm not sure I understand the problem though. The only differences
between the installed defaults and what you've shown are that some of
the directories have slightly different names and it's not clear where
your source path is. So I'm not sure exactly what this is solving
unless it's just that you don't like the directory names. It sounded
like something more in your initial post.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

"Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)" wrote:
"Kevin Dwan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Can I define the Default Project to do this for me, or doesn't JB
allow
>this kind of structure?

It allows that structure. Open the default project properties dialog
and make the following changes on the "Paths" tab:

1. Output path: c:\JBuilder 7\jbprojects\classes
2. Backup path: c:\JBuilder 7\jbprojects\back
3. Working directory: c:\JBuilder 7\jbprojects\working
4. Source: ?
5. Documentation: c:\JBuilder 7\jbprojects\docs

I'm not sure I understand the problem though. The only differences
between the installed defaults and what you've shown are that some of
the directories have slightly different names and it's not clear where
your source path is. So I'm not sure exactly what this is solving
unless it's just that you don't like the directory names. It sounded
like something more in your initial post.

--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)
Okay, this will let us pinpoint what I'm not understanding: I set up the
defaults as you suggested, then I used the New Project Wizard and named a
new Project, Trigger, and added a new Frame to it. This is the directory
tree I came up with:
c:\jbuilder7\jbproject
\Trigger
Trigger.html
Trigger.jpx
Trigger.jpx.local
\back
\Trigger
NewFrame.java~1~
\classes
\package cache
\Trigger
NewFrame.class
\java
\Trigger
NewFrame.java
Am I confusing Package/Project/Application? Why in the above does
"Trigger" exist on two levels?
(I seem to remember that previously I've used the New Project Wizard and
it has led me directly to the New Application Wizard.)

Re:understanding logic of JB7 SE setup wizards

"Kevin Dwan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Am I confusing Package/Project/Application?
I think so. The first Trigger (C:\JBuilder8\jbproject\Trigger) is the
project name. The second (...\back\Trigger, ...\classes\Trigger,
...\java\Trigger) is the name of the NewFrame class's package. With a
more conventional package name you'd have something like:
C:\JBuilder7\jbproject\Trigger\java\com\bluetoolssoftware\trigger\NewFra
me.java
I don't think you can do what you're asking for. What would it look
like with the above example where the package name doesn't match the
project name?
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)