JBuilder and Struts

2005-02-23 09:59:17 AM
jbuilder17
Hi,
I'm currently using JBuilder 2005 Developer to develop a Struts web
application, however JBuilder refuses to copy my Java classes to the
/WEB-INF/classes folder.
I've gone through 'Properties'>'Resource'>'XML'>'Copy' and it now
copies all of my XML configuration files to the WEB-INF/classes folder, just
not the java classes which it does compile but leaves them in the main
JBuilder/classes folder.
I'm currently getting around this issue by manually copying the files across
each time, though that is becoming tiresome. I'm guessing I could write an
ANT build file but would much rather JBuilder just copied the files over
itself.... Does anyone know how I can make it do this?
Thanks in advance,
Tim Christopher

Re:JBuilder and Struts

Tim Christopher wrote:
I'm currently using JBuilder 2005 Developer to develop a Struts web
application, however JBuilder refuses to copy my Java classes to the
/WEB-INF/classes folder.

I've gone through 'Properties'>'Resource'>'XML'>'Copy' and it
now copies all of my XML configuration files to the WEB-INF/classes
folder, just not the java classes which it does compile but leaves
them in the main JBuilder/classes folder.

I'm currently getting around this issue by manually copying the files
across each time, though that is becoming tiresome. I'm guessing I
could write an ANT build file but would much rather JBuilder just
copied the files over itself.... Does anyone know how I can make it
do this?

Look at the web application properties and make sure that "Build" is
set to "Whenever building project or module" and that "Java class file"
is included in the list of file types for the module.
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Re:JBuilder and Struts

Oops.. Hit the wrong reply button before, so I'll try again:
Which menu item gives me access to those options?
Cheers,
Tim
"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Tim Christopher wrote:

>I'm currently using JBuilder 2005 Developer to develop a Struts web
>application, however JBuilder refuses to copy my Java classes to the
>/WEB-INF/classes folder.
>
>I've gone through 'Properties'>'Resource'>'XML'>'Copy' and it
>now copies all of my XML configuration files to the WEB-INF/classes
>folder, just not the java classes which it does compile but leaves
>them in the main JBuilder/classes folder.
>
>I'm currently getting around this issue by manually copying the files
>across each time, though that is becoming tiresome. I'm guessing I
>could write an ANT build file but would much rather JBuilder just
>copied the files over itself.... Does anyone know how I can make it
>do this?

Look at the web application properties and make sure that "Build" is
set to "Whenever building project or module" and that "Java class file"
is included in the list of file types for the module.

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.
www.datadevelopment.com/

NEW WHITEPAPERS
Securing Borland Enterprise Server

info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder and Struts

Tim Christopher wrote:
Oops.. Hit the wrong reply button before, so I'll try again:

Which menu item gives me access to those options?

Cheers,

Tim

Context menu (right-click) on your web module in the Project Pane.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:JBuilder and Struts

Cheers!
I managed to make it compile all of the classes by unselecting "Only include
module specific java classes", which can be found under: (<Right click on
WebModule>), Properties>Content.
... There's only one problem with this though; it decided it wanted to
reformat and remove all of my comments from my Struts-config file (though
the comments are still available under the document's history) as well as
copying a new struts-config file and all *.tld files to the /WEB-INF/
folder - it also created new entries in my web.xml file for all of the new
*.tld files it create (as mine are currently stored in a subdirectory).
I've now deleted these additional files and returned the content to what it
should be, and it now compiles without changing it back... Can I expect it
to stay this way, or will it randomly decide to create and modify these
files during some build in the future (maybe after I've restarted my PC)?
Tim

Tim Christopher wrote:
I managed to make it compile all of the classes by unselecting "Only
include module specific java classes", which can be found under:
(<Right click on WebModule>), Properties>Content.

That feature doesn't quite work as advertised. Because of reflection
in JSPs, JBuilder can't find all the module-specific Java classes, so
this option should always be off.
... There's only one problem with this though; it decided it wanted
to reformat and remove all of my comments from my Struts-config file
(though the comments are still available under the document's
history) as well as copying a new struts-config file and all *.tld
files to the /WEB-INF/ folder - it also created new entries in my
web.xml file for all of the new *.tld files it create (as mine are
currently stored in a subdirectory).

I've now deleted these additional files and returned the content to
what it should be, and it now compiles without changing it back...
Can I expect it to stay this way, or will it randomly decide to
create and modify these files during some build in the future (maybe
after I've restarted my PC)?
JBuilder doesn't manage comments in configuration files very well if at
all. You will lose them from time to time.
--

Tim Christopher wrote:
... There's only one problem with this though; it decided it wanted to
reformat and remove all of my comments from my Struts-config file
Yes, this is a side-effect of the two-way tools and
underlying XMT OpenTools framework: comments get removed
and the XML is reformatted. Having worked with the XMT
OT API, I don't see an easy way for comments to be
maintained, but it may be worth a try to submit an RFE
at Quality Central on at least the comment removal issue.
copying a new struts-config file and all *.tld files to the /WEB-INF/
folder - it also created new entries in my web.xml file for all of the new
*.tld files it create (as mine are currently stored in a subdirectory).
As Kevin pointed out in a sibling response, the Web Module
OT API doesn't handle this well. I just inherited a Struts-
based project in which there are 38 module definition files,
no struts-config.xml file, and TLDs are placed in a sub-folder
of WEB-INF. JBuilder's Web Module DD Editor and underpinnings
stumble pretty badly on this kind of structure.
Again, this needs to be filed as an issue at Quality Central.
Do you want to do this? (I'll vote for it; and if you or Kevin
don't get around to filing the report, I probably will.)
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:JBuilder and Struts

Again, this needs to be filed as an issue at Quality Central.
Do you want to do this? (I'll vote for it; and if you or Kevin
don't get around to filing the report, I probably will.)
I just had a quick look at Quality Central but couldn't see the appropriate
link, so guess I'll leave to someone else to deal with if that's not a
problem... :o)
Tim Christopher