Activity Monitor?

2004-06-04 11:22:43 PM
jbuilder12
I've been using JBuilder X Enterprise for a while now. Recently, when I
compile a little "Activity Monitor" flashes up on the screen. The arrival
of this seems to correspond with unusually sluggish performance.
What is the Activity Monitor? Is its activity slowing down my compile times?
How can I get rid of it if it turns out it's not doing anything I need at
the time?
Dave
p.s. I search JBuilder help and the news groups on Google, but couldn't find
anything about this.

Re:Activity Monitor?

Dave Bender wrote:
I've been using JBuilder X Enterprise for a while now. Recently, when I
compile a little "Activity Monitor" flashes up on the screen. The arrival
of this seems to correspond with unusually sluggish performance.
Or more likely, the arrival of the sluggishness is evidenced
by the need for the Activity Monitor to pop up and inform
you of this new sluggishness. What is causing the slowdown
lies elsewhere; the monitor is just an indicator.
What is the Activity Monitor? Is its activity slowing down my compile times?
How can I get rid of it if it turns out it's not doing anything I need at
the time?
Based on what Bill Joy's explanations of it in the opentools
newsgroup, stemming from my questions of how to use it,
it's basically a mechanism on a separate thread which
gives you feedback on how a lengthy process is going.
My perception is that it doesn't degrade performance,
and that the reason you see it is that whatever process
you are performing is sluggish enough to pop up the monitor
display. If a process is completely quickly enough, the
monitor doesn't show.
For some reason, your process (compiling?) is taking longer, hence
the monitor is popping up to tell you that. Did you add an
archive node, such as a Web Module, to your project recently?
Depending on how you configure an archive node, it can slow
things down considerably.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:Activity Monitor?

The activity monitor was introduced in response to the constant question:
why isn't JBuilder responding? Some operations, such as parsing large EJB
deployment descriptors, can take some time, and earlier versions of JBuilder
would appear to freeze for no readily apparent reason. The activity monitor
was created to let users know what was going on and thereby preventing them
from trying to click on something else (which sometimes created quite a
mess) or terminating JBuilder prematurely. As Paul says, it is an indicator
of performance issues, not a creator of them.
--
Check out our latest white papers at
BladeNET Scores With Borland Enterprise Tools
"Dave Bender" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I've been using JBuilder X Enterprise for a while now. Recently, when I
compile a little "Activity Monitor" flashes up on the screen. The arrival
of this seems to correspond with unusually sluggish performance.

What is the Activity Monitor? Is its activity slowing down my compile
times?
How can I get rid of it if it turns out it's not doing anything I need at
the time?

Dave
p.s. I search JBuilder help and the news groups on Google, but couldn't
find
anything about this.

{smallsort}

Re:Activity Monitor?

For some reason, your process (compiling?) is taking longer, hence
the monitor is popping up to tell you that. Did you add an
archive node, such as a Web Module, to your project recently?
The Activity Monitor started showing up after I was playing around with
OptimizeIt. I understand that can take a lot of resources, but I'm not
currently running any of the OptimizeIt tools, at least not that I know of.
Initially, I thought the activity monitor was somehow related to that, since
OptimizeIt does monitor activity.