Unable to install JBuilder X on macintosh OS-X Panther

2004-02-11 11:58:28 PM
jbuilder0
Hi,
I downloaded the recently posted JBuilder-X developer edition for Macintosh
and I'm unable to install it.
When I click on the fnd_installer object, it starts running, prompts for the
system userid and password, runs for about 30 seconds and then exits with no
error messages (and no installation).
I have the latest-and-greatest Java JDK (JDK 1.4.2 I believe) from Apple and
other Java apps run fine here.
What can I do about this?
-Thom

Re:Unable to install JBuilder X on macintosh OS-X Panther

Hi Thom,
I'm not the biggest Mac expert but you may get more information about the
failure if you run the fnd_installer program from a terminal window instead
of clicking on it in the user interface. Typically, UI programs won't
visibly
throw stack traces but programs run from the terminal usually send any text
output to that terminal.
Also, you might want to post in the borland.public.jbuilder.macintosh group
since there are more Mac heads in there.
--
Kind Regards,
Steve Peters
Thom Park wrote:

I downloaded the recently posted JBuilder-X developer edition for Macintosh
and I'm unable to install it.

When I click on the fnd_installer object, it starts running, prompts for the
system userid and password, runs for about 30 seconds and then exits with no
error messages (and no installation).

I have the latest-and-greatest Java JDK (JDK 1.4.2 I believe) from Apple and
other Java apps run fine here.

What can I do about this?

-Thom

Re:Unable to install JBuilder X on macintosh OS-X Panther

I downloaded jbuilderx for the PC and the Mac today. For the PD download
I received an e-mail message with an attached .txt file with
instructions to install it in a particular location. I did not receive
any e-mail with my Mac download. My experience trying to install is
exactly the same as Thom's. I'm typing my BDN password into the
authentication prompt. Any thoughts?
Craig
Steve Peters (Borland) wrote:
Hi Thom,

I'm not the biggest Mac expert but you may get more information about the
failure if you run the fnd_installer program from a terminal window instead
of clicking on it in the user interface. Typically, UI programs won't
visibly
throw stack traces but programs run from the terminal usually send any text
output to that terminal.

Also, you might want to post in the borland.public.jbuilder.macintosh group
since there are more Mac heads in there.

{smallsort}

Re:Unable to install JBuilder X on macintosh OS-X Panther

Hi Craig,
I think the authentication prompt when you first launch the installer is
your Mac login. The BDN login is used later, after the install is complete,
during the registration process when you run it for the first time.
--

Steve Peters (Borland) wrote:

>Hi Thom,
>
>I'm not the biggest Mac expert but you may get more information about
>the
>failure if you run the fnd_installer program from a terminal window
>instead
>of clicking on it in the user interface. Typically, UI programs won't
>visibly
>throw stack traces but programs run from the terminal usually send
>any text
>output to that terminal.
>
>Also, you might want to post in the borland.public.jbuilder.macintosh
>group
>since there are more Mac heads in there.

Re:Unable to install JBuilder X on macintosh OS-X Panther

Ahh, if only it were so. The Authentication challenge message reads
"Borland JBuilder X Foundation requires tht you type your password." The
Name field contains my name, and the Password field is blank. Typing my
Mac login in the password field does naught!
Craig

Craig Wier wrote:
Ahh, if only it were so. The Authentication challenge message reads
"Borland JBuilder X Foundation requires tht you type your password." The
Name field contains my name, and the Password field is blank. Typing my
Mac login in the password field does naught!
Steve is correct. The first authentication dialog
you get is for your user account on your Mac. This
is true for *any* software you install on your Mac.
So, the *name* is the name of an administrator user
(quite often your name), and the password is the
one which for that particular account. If you go
to the System Preferences>System Accounts control
panel, you should see a listing of accounts. For
example, on mine, there's one account for me
where the name is "Paul Furbacher" and the type
is "Admin". That's your login account, and you
need to enter the password for that in the initial
authentication dialog when installing JBuilder.
Later on, you are asked to register the product.
That login is the one you use at BDN.

Craig

Steve Peters (Borland) wrote:

>Hi Craig,
>
>I think the authentication prompt when you first launch the installer is
>your Mac login. The BDN login is used later, after the install is
>complete,
>during the registration process when you run it for the first time.

--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:Unable to install JBuilder X on macintosh OS-X Panther

Fair enough. My assumption was false. However, entering my user account
password into this authentication window, and clicking on OK:
- closes the authentication window
- the fnd_install icon remains dimmed for maybe 5 secs
- then the fnd_install icon highlights itself
As near as I can tell, nothing further happens???
Thanks,
Craig

Craig Wier wrote:
Fair enough. My assumption was false. However, entering my user account
password into this authentication window, and clicking on OK:

- closes the authentication window
- the fnd_install icon remains dimmed for maybe 5 secs
- then the fnd_install icon highlights itself

As near as I can tell, nothing further happens???
Okay. Just after you click the OK button, pop
the Dock up (that is, if you hide as I do) and
see if the installer bounces, disappears, and
the bounces again. At this point, you should
see an initial menu bar for the installer, limited
to just the application menu.
If this doesn't occur, open Console.app (found in
/Applications/Utilities) and check whether there
were some exceptions thrown by the installer
which caused it to quit.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:Unable to install JBuilder X on macintosh OS-X Panther

I checked out the Consule.app and here's what I found for each instance
in which I attempted to launch the installer:
2004-02-19 10:22:25.918 fnd_install[751] osError = -60031
2004-02-19 12:00:55.486 doc_install[780] Could not find image named `lock'.
2004-02-19 12:01:06.479 doc_install[780] osError = 0
Thanks,
Craig