Erratic Swing behavior with Metal Look and Feel and JVM 1.5.x

2005-10-25 11:50:14 PM
jbuilder23
I am in the process of migrating to JBuilder 2006. I have several swing applications that
migrated from 1.4.x to 1.5.x with no problems. That is the good news. The bad news is that
I have one that performs erratically when running with the Metal Look and Feel and JVM 1.5.x.
The application supports the Metal, Motif and Windows look and feel. All of these work well with the 1.4.2
JVM. The Windows and Motif look and feel work fine with 1.5.x. However, the application gets flaky when using
Metal with JVM 1.5.x. The mouse tracking is erratic, Swing component response becomes very
slow, scroll bars respond slowly and erratically and the XP system virtually hangs.
The only thing that changes is the look and feel.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sincerely,
Jerold Sampson

Re:Erratic Swing behavior with Metal Look and Feel and JVM 1.5.x

Paul Nichols [TeamB] wrote:
Jerold Sampson wrote:

>I am in the process of migrating to JBuilder 2006. I have several swing
>applications that
>migrated from 1.4.x to 1.5.x with no problems. That is the good news. The
>bad news is that I have one that performs erratically when running with
>the Metal Look and Feel and JVM 1.5.x.

Are you using Metal on the same OS (aka Windows) as the others? If on a GNU
system, there were some problems early on and a patch is available.

If the latter, look here,

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath-patches/2005-09/msg00067.html

I am running all the tests on Windows XP Home Edition.

Jerold Sampson wrote:
I am in the process of migrating to JBuilder 2006. I have several swing
applications that
migrated from 1.4.x to 1.5.x with no problems. That is the good news. The
bad news is that I have one that performs erratically when running with
the Metal Look and Feel and JVM 1.5.x.

Are you using Metal on the same OS (aka Windows) as the others? If on a GNU
system, there were some problems early on and a patch is available.
If the latter, look here,
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath-patches/2005-09/msg00067.html

{smallsort}