Help Files

2003-09-05 08:48:22 PM
jbuilder13
Hi
I am fairly new to java and I have just installed JBuilder 9 Personal
Edition as this is what we are using in the labs at uni. However when i try
to use the help it tells me that the .jar files cannot be found. Do I have
to separately download and install these files?
Thanx in advance Meg

Re:Help Files

Hi,
yes, you should download and install help files seperately,
Amir Pashazadeh
"Meg" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hi
I am fairly new to java and I have just installed JBuilder 9 Personal
Edition as this is what we are using in the labs at uni. However when i
try
to use the help it tells me that the .jar files cannot be found. Do I have
to separately download and install these files?

Thanx in advance Meg

Re:Help Files

Hi,
i was wondering how to create "help" .hlp files that i can call from my
win32 application? can anyone give me an example of how to do this? i'm
using borland 5.02 for development.
Aloha,
mike

{smallsort}

Re:Help Files

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:06:49 -1000, "mike" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:

i was wondering how to create "help" .hlp files that i can call from my
win32 application? can anyone give me an example of how to do this? i'm
using borland 5.02 for development.

Aloha,
mike

Well usually you use some product like robo-help.
These days it seems that html or chm files are more popular.
You might want to consider just making html help files.
HTH
Jeff Kish

Re:Help Files

Mike:
To use a help file try this:
WinHelp("myHelpFile.hlp", HELP_KEY, (DWORD)(LPSTR)"My Topic");
or
WinHelp("myHelpFile.hlp", HELP_CONTENTS, 0);
To use a HTML help, you need to load the "HHCTRL.OCX", (it's just a
specialized .DLL),
get the address process of ATOM_HTMLHELP_API_ANSI
( pHTMLHelp = (HtmlHelpFunc)::GetProcAddress(hHelpOCX,
ATOM_HTMLHELP_API_ANSI);)
and call the function like this
void myHTMLHelp(HWND hWnd, char *helpFilename, int topic, int id) {
if (pHTMLHelp) {
pHTMLHelp(hWnd, helpFilename, topic, id);
}
}
To create an HTML help: you can do it by hand (like the old times), write
.RTF files with embebed links,
or use any of the tools available today like RoboHelp, ForeHelp,
Help&Manual, etc.
Saludos
Sebastian
"Jeff Kish" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i was wondering how to create "help" .hlp files that i can call from my
>win32 application? can anyone give me an example of how to do this? i'm
>using borland 5.02 for development.
>
>Aloha,
>mike

Well usually you use some product like robo-help.
These days it seems that html or chm files are more popular.
You might want to consider just making html help files.
HTH
Jeff Kish
If you want to make HTML help files (which is the current MS standard), I
suggest that you download the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop. It's very good
and it's free.

Re:Help Files

mike wrote:

i was wondering how to create "help" .hlp files that i can call from my
win32 application? can anyone give me an example of how to do this? i'm
using borland 5.02 for development.

Aloha,
mike
Have a look on the examples delivered with BC 5.0x (eg. ../examples/windows
helpex). You have to use somthing like hc.exe or hc32.exe and sources as
*.rtf. (From my view *.hlp help is better to use than html help. html help
was introduced through political reasons to make IE a necessary element of
the OS.)
gw

Re:Help Files

Hi,
What program was used to create indy.chm ?

Re:Help Files

What program was used to create indy.chm ?
Doc-O-Matic (www.toolsfactory.com/) is used for all of the Indy help formats.

Re:Help Files

Thanks, Thanks,
Thanks
Charles Albrecht
Free Software at www.cwalbrec.com
dsiders < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
What program was used to create indy.chm ?
Doc-O-Matic (www.toolsfactory.com/) is used for all of the Indy help
formats.

Re:Help Files

I've just installed IB7.5 and have no help files. Anyone know how to get
them?
Thanks.

Re:Help Files

Christopher Weaver wrote:
I've just installed IB7.5 and have no help files. Anyone know how to
get them?
Did you get 7.5 with Delphi, or by itself?
You can try to run the installer again, choose custom, and then choose
docs only. But if you got 7.5 with Delphi get the update from the D2005
Java Developers page and reinstall the whole thing, as some bugs have
been fixed.
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:Help Files

Thanks Craig.
One little bug that ought to be fixed (in addition to the .hlp files being
omitted in the first place), when additional items are installed or
reinstalled through the custom option, the installer should refer to the
server by its installed name, not the default gds name. It's just a small
point, but it helps to make the administrator more comfortable. Generally
speaking, it seems like he installer should be looking for an installation
log file to determine what's been done and what the parameters were.

Re:Help Files

Thanks for that. I noticed the PDFs but hadn't looked them over carefully
and still expected something to be connected to the help menu in the
console. LangRef.pdf looks particularly well organized.

Re:Help Files

To avoid any confusion, note that the InterBase documentations is not
in Help files. It consists of several manuals in PDF files.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email