favicon.ico

2005-05-19 08:32:58 AM
jbuilder23
StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI
/favicon.ico
I get that whenever firefox hits my test run in jbuilder. how can i get
rid of it?

Re:favicon.ico

Chris M wrote:
StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI
/favicon.ico

I get that whenever firefox hits my test run in jbuilder. how can i
get rid of it?
You can't. It's standard behaviour for most browsers these days; they
look for the favicon.ico file in the root of the web host so that when
you bookmark the site it has a custom icon beside it rather than the
default. Here are the details:
www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Design/Images/Favicon/
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Re:favicon.ico

Where can i put a favicon.ico in a default jbuilder installation so that
it can get one when it asks for one?
Kevin Dean [TeamB] wrote:
Chris M wrote:

>StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI
>/favicon.ico
>

>I get that whenever firefox hits my test run in jbuilder. how can i
>get rid of it?

You can't. It's standard behaviour for most browsers these days; they
look for the favicon.ico file in the root of the web host so that when
you bookmark the site it has a custom icon beside it rather than the
default. Here are the details:

www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Design/Images/Favicon/

{smallsort}

Re:favicon.ico

Chris M wrote:
Where can i put a favicon.ico in a default jbuilder installation so that
it can get one when it asks for one?
There's no place to put it in the "default JBuilder installation"
because JBuilder doesn't use the favicon. JBuilder doesn't
ask for it; Tomcat does. JBuilder really has nothing to do with it.
From the article which Kevin mentioned:
"There are several ways of getting your icon to show up.
By far the easiest is to upload the ico file to the
root directory of your server. (eg. www.wdvl.com/favicon.ico)."
The root directory of your Web app during development
in JBuilder is the same directory that holds such files and folders
as index.html, JSPs, WEB-INF/.
How do you put the favicon there? Use the filesystem browser,
drag-n-drop.
Kevin Dean [TeamB] wrote:

>[...] Here are the details:
>
>www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Design/Images/Favicon/
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:favicon.ico

yes I was meaning the tomcat that is installed by default when you are
using jbuilder. i thought it was under the jbuilder directory
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
Chris M wrote:

>Where can i put a favicon.ico in a default jbuilder installation so
>that it can get one when it asks for one?

There's no place to put it in the "default JBuilder installation"
because JBuilder doesn't use the favicon. JBuilder doesn't
ask for it; Tomcat does. JBuilder really has nothing to do with it.

From the article which Kevin mentioned:

Chris M wrote:
yes I was meaning the tomcat that is installed by default when you are
using jbuilder. i thought it was under the jbuilder directory
Tomcat is located in one of the third-party folders. However,
even in a stand-alone instance of Tomcat, the favicon is not
read from the server's folders. Since the favicon is an
application-specific resource (i.e., you may run multiple
Web apps under the same instance of Tomcat; think customer-
facing Web app running at the same time a management-facing
Web app is running), the favicon must reside in the context
of the Web app it applies to.
Hence, if you have
d:/java/projects/myproject
/bak
/doc
/classes
/src
/mywebapp <-- the root or "context" folder
- index.html
/images
- favicon.png
my.jsp
/WEB-INF
/classes
/lib
the favicon goes somewhere under "/mywebapp". Notice
that Tomcat is nowhere in sight of the given folder
hierarchy.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:favicon.ico

Ok that is what i have been doing. it does not appear to work. Do i
need to restart the web server or anything to make the change take
affect? I have it in the same directory as my top level .jsp files and
i still get the same message.
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
Chris M wrote:

>yes I was meaning the tomcat that is installed by default when you are
>using jbuilder. i thought it was under the jbuilder directory

Tomcat is located in one of the third-party folders. However,
even in a stand-alone instance of Tomcat, the favicon is not
read from the server's folders. Since the favicon is an
application-specific resource (i.e., you may run multiple
Web apps under the same instance of Tomcat; think customer-
facing Web app running at the same time a management-facing
Web app is running), the favicon must reside in the context
of the Web app it applies to.

Hence, if you have

d:/java/projects/myproject
/bak
/doc
/classes
/src
/mywebapp <-- the root or "context" folder
- index.html
/images
- favicon.png
my.jsp
/WEB-INF
/classes
/lib

the favicon goes somewhere under "/mywebapp". Notice
that Tomcat is nowhere in sight of the given folder
hierarchy.

Re:favicon.ico

I found the need to add
<link rel="icon" href="/mywebapp/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
in the HTML, before I was able to see the icon displayed in my browser.
Hope this helps.

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:

>Chris M wrote:
>
>>yes I was meaning the tomcat that is installed by default when you
>>are using jbuilder. i thought it was under the jbuilder directory
>

>Tomcat is located in one of the third-party folders. However,
>even in a stand-alone instance of Tomcat, the favicon is not
>read from the server's folders. Since the favicon is an
>application-specific resource (i.e., you may run multiple
>Web apps under the same instance of Tomcat; think customer-
>facing Web app running at the same time a management-facing
>Web app is running), the favicon must reside in the context
>of the Web app it applies to.
>
>Hence, if you have
>
>d:/java/projects/myproject
>/bak
>/doc
>/classes
>/src
>/mywebapp <-- the root or "context" folder
>- index.html
>/images
>- favicon.png
>my.jsp
>/WEB-INF
>/classes
>/lib
>
>the favicon goes somewhere under "/mywebapp". Notice
>that Tomcat is nowhere in sight of the given folder
>hierarchy.

Re:favicon.ico

Hi,
with Intraweb 8.0.1, I'm trying to display a custom ico on the browser
address bar. I've tried all that's suggested on
www.atozed.com/intraweb/docs/ (Deployment of external files), but
with no luck...
Any idea ?

Re:favicon.ico

Put it in the files directory and make sure that
servercontroller->allowsubfolders is set to true.
"Freddy Junior" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

with Intraweb 8.0.1, I'm trying to display a custom ico on the browser
address bar. I've tried all that's suggested on
www.atozed.com/intraweb/docs/ (Deployment of external files), but
with no luck...

Any idea ?

Re:favicon.ico

Put it in the files directory and make sure that
servercontroller->allowsubfolders is set to true.
That's what I've already done...
I've also tried with many formats of favicon.ico (bmp, png, etc.) and
size (16x16, etc.), but with no luck :-(

Re:favicon.ico

OK, it's working now, after a reboot.
Maybe a cache issue...

Re:favicon.ico

Are you testing it with ISAPI, because I could not have it worked ?
Alper YAZGAN
"Freddy Junior" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
OK, it's working now, after a reboot.
Maybe a cache issue...