Help regarding application design

2004-07-24 01:57:32 AM
jbuilder6
Hello all,
I am very new to Java and for that matter programming. I am having a hard time developing a Java Swing based application that can be used to connect to a database residing on a server.
There is nothing web-based about it. It is going to run in a LAN envorment using java swing as an application.
Every user has its own executable jar file. Since the JDBC is embedded in that JAR my problem is rather strange.
First of all in simple words how do u make such an application? RIght now everything is out of control. People tend to access the database get their results there is no consistency. It seems that i am stuck in a single user envoirment.
I really am confused about all this. I mean if my design flawed. Do i have to have a server program running that returns all the results to the client program through sockets. Its really weird right now.
I shall be very greatful if someone can explain to me what am i supposed to do and furthermore give me some sample code so i can use that as my base to complete this application.
Thanks in advance

Re:Help regarding application design

Newbie wrote:

[...]
Look for the examples that come with JB (if you downloaded Foundation, then
you will need to download samples separately.
/JBuilder_Install_Dir/Samples/JDataStore (many example in this folder).
Second, look inside the j2sdk for the following:
For Linux/Unix: /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_0-4/demos/jfc/TableExample/src