JDK 1.4.2 on Panther: further informations...

2003-11-14 12:48:36 AM
jbuilder19
Paul Furbacher < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Duane Schwartzwald wrote:

>Great! Someone else with exactly the same problem.
>
>Actually, I found the same error message in a post (I searched) from
>someone in May or June. No answers or resolution. Just the problem.

Who was that, and what problem exactly? Your messages
have not included the stack trace, which if I'm not
mistaken, always include an error message number.
If you could include that information, it would be
more helpful. Just copy the content of the Message Pane
and post it here as a follow up to this message.
Hi,
Sorry for the missing informations, I'm not so used to this kind of technical forums...
The message error when running any project is (here, for example, the welcome project):
"WelcomeApp.java" : Erreur fatale : impossible de localiser package java.lang dans le chemin de classes ou le bootclasspath
"WelcomeFrame.java" : Erreur fatale : impossible de localiser package java.lang dans le chemin de classes ou le bootclasspath
"Applet1.java" : Erreur fatale : impossible de localiser package java.lang dans le chemin de classes ou le bootclasspath
You also haven't responded to my question as to how
you installed JBuilder 9 on Panther. Did you copy
an existing installation from a Windows or Linux
machine, or did you install from the CD using
Tony Piselli's instructions?
First, I tried to use the downloaded Linux version, but I didn't know how to install and run it. So, as I study java programming at the University and as the Jbuilder9 is installed on Mac OS X on the machines in the university, I just copied the JBuilder9 folder and the script file "jbuilder.command" which allows to run JBuilder9 on mac os... The script file, I found it also on the machines at the university. If you need it, I can copy the code and add it to my message. The code is:
#!/bin/sh
# JB9alt.command
# Credits:
# Original author -- Dave Yost
# Modifications -- Paul Furbacher
# Use at your own risk; make modifications according to
# your installation.
# Optional arguments in the last line of this script:
#
# -info prints out info equivalent to that found in the About
# box>Info tab.
#
# -verbose prints out a verbose record of the OpenTool initializatin
# and more
#
# -license starts the License Manager
#
echo "Environment"
/usr/bin/env
echo ""
if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then args="-info"
else args=$@
fi
echo $args
JBUILDER_HOME=/Developer/Applications/JBuilder9
jdk=1.4.2
useGrowBox=true
cd $JBUILDER_HOME/JBuilder.framework/bin
#jars=`find ../patch ../lib ../lib/ext -name \*.jar | tr '\012' : `
jars=`find ../lib/ -name \*.jar | tr '\012' : `
exec /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/$jdk/Commands/java -Xdock:name="JBuilder 8_Ent":icon=$JBUILDER_HOME/JBuilder.app/Contents/Resources/JBuilder.icns -Xmaxf0.2 -Xminf0.2 -Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -Dapple.awt.showGrowBox=$useGrowBox -Xverify:none -Xbootclasspath/p:../lib/lawt.jar:../lib/javac.jar:../lib/TabbedPaneFix.jar:../lib/SequencedEventFix.jar:../lib/JarManifestFix.jar:/System/Library/Java -Xms32m -Xmx256m -cp ${jars}:/System/Library/Java com.borland.jbuilder.JBuilder $args
Did you install to
the default location?
Yes. Macintosh HD =>Developer =>Applications
Have you tried starting
JBuilder 9 from the icon in the installation folder?
No. I can't find any installation folder in my JBuilder9 folder.

These are all important parts of doing the full
diagnostic work up.

>I tried switching my CurrentJDK to 1.3.1, but then JBuilder fails to
>start. Yes, other programs still worked (ImageJ for example).

JBuilder versions 8, 9, and now 10, require JDK 1.4.x.
So, it's not surprising that if you switched the JDK
setting in the shell script to 1.3.1, it failed to run.
Lots of other Java programs were written for 1.2 or 1.3,
e.g., your ImageJ (don't know it), JBuilder 6 and 7.
They should run just fine without any monkeying around
with the app bundle, if Apple has handled things correctly
in the 1.4.2 release. (As I said earlier, I don't have
Panther, so I cannot test these things out in 1.4.2.)

>It seems so odd that it can't find java.lang, but the program is
>running.

Yes, it is confusing. But there's a difference between
running the program itself, and getting all the pieces
together to actually compile. What those differences
are I cannot exactly say. Some have suggested that
it may have to do with environmental settings, yet
I haven't been able to discern any differences.

So, before we go round and round again, please
answer some of my questions.
I can add that when I installed JDK 1.4.2, I had to modifiy the file JBuilder9.command, because it didn't want to launch anymore... I just changed the reference in the code, replaced 1.4.1 with 1.4.2 an it could launch very well.
I verified in the "Project" menu, "Project properties", that JBuilder points at JDK 1.4.2 and not at 1.4.1.
Thank you very much for your help!
Gabriel Parriaux

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?

Thank you.

Re:JDK 1.4.2 on Panther: further informations...

Gabriel,
I'm taking parts of your message out of order
for reasons that should become apparent.
>Have you tried starting JBuilder 9 from the icon in the
>installation folder?

No. I can't find any installation folder in my JBuilder9 folder.
My communication error here: "installation folder" meant
"the folder into which you installed JBuilder." In your
case, you said that you installed JBuilder in
/Developer/Applications/JBuilder9
Thus, I was asking in a very shorthand manner: have
you tried launching the "JBuilder" application in the
folder
/Developer/Applications/JBuilder9
The application is the one which has an icon which
has a blue-shield and a white "J" on it. This is
technically called an "app bundle", a special kind
of folder on OS X which "bundles" all the components
of an application. If you look at the "Get Info"
on this kind of file, you will see that the file
name has a hidden extension, ".app".
Try double-clicking on that application icon to launch
JBuilder 9. As noted above, if you have done the
installation from your Linux Personal download, there
won't be an app bundle. What happens?
(Depending on how the University installed JBuilder,
there may not be a functional app bundle.)

First, I tried to use the downloaded Linux version, but I didn't know
how to install and run it. So, as I study java programming at the
University and as the Jbuilder9 is installed on Mac OS X on the
machines in the university, I just copied the JBuilder9 folder and
the script file "jbuilder.command" which allows to run JBuilder9 on
mac os...
Hmmm, now we may have stumbled onto something.
How did you register your copy of JBuilder?
There has been some discussion in other
JBuilder newsgroups that if you used cracked
versions of JBuilder, you can encounter this
problem of not being able to compile.
I would suggest the if you still have the Linux
Personal download, that you follow Mike Heininger's
instructions (posted here, 4/23/03) for installing
from a CD. The download, when run through
Stuffit Expander (version 7+) will create a folder
like this
jb9_linux.1:
ca.list
copyrights.html
country.list
deploy.html
jdatastore_license.html
license.html
per.slip
per_install.bin
phone.list
privacy.html
register_jb.html
release_notes.html
setup_linux.html
us.list
whatsnew.html
Go to the terminal, cd to that folder (mine is
called "jb9_linux.1", but yours may be different
so make adjustments), and type at the prompt:
% sh per_install.bin LAX_VM /usr/bin/java
Accept the default directory for installing JBuilder.
That is, _do not_ press the "Choose" button!
Before doing this, you may wish to rename the .borland
folder in your home folder to something else in order
to avoid possible licensing conflicts. When you downloaded
the Linux Personal version, you should have gotten an
activation file by email. You will need that.
I just went through this to test it out, and it appears
that the JBuilder.app folder has nothing in it. So, you
will have to use the shell script to launch JBuilder 9.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:JDK 1.4.2 on Panther: further informations...

Paul Furbacher < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Gabriel,

I'm taking parts of your message out of order
for reasons that should become apparent.
Paul,
Thank you for your quick help

>>Have you tried starting JBuilder 9 from the icon in the
>>installation folder?
>

>No. I can't find any installation folder in my JBuilder9 folder.

My communication error here: "installation folder" meant
"the folder into which you installed JBuilder." In your
case, you said that you installed JBuilder in

/Developer/Applications/JBuilder9

Thus, I was asking in a very shorthand manner: have
you tried launching the "JBuilder" application in the
folder

/Developer/Applications/JBuilder9

The application is the one which has an icon which
has a blue-shield and a white "J" on it. This is
technically called an "app bundle", a special kind
of folder on OS X which "bundles" all the components
of an application. If you look at the "Get Info"
on this kind of file, you will see that the file
name has a hidden extension, ".app".

Try double-clicking on that application icon to launch
JBuilder 9. As noted above, if you have done the
installation from your Linux Personal download, there
won't be an app bundle. What happens?
I found the good file, but nothing happens when I double-click on it. Actually, the file has nothing in it (zero ko) as you mention.

(Depending on how the University installed JBuilder,
there may not be a functional app bundle.)

>First, I tried to use the downloaded Linux version, but I didn't know
>how to install and run it. So, as I study java programming at the
>University and as the Jbuilder9 is installed on Mac OS X on the
>machines in the university, I just copied the JBuilder9 folder and
>the script file "jbuilder.command" which allows to run JBuilder9 on
>mac os...

Hmmm, now we may have stumbled onto something.
How did you register your copy of JBuilder?
There has been some discussion in other
JBuilder newsgroups that if you used cracked
versions of JBuilder, you can encounter this
problem of not being able to compile.

I would suggest the if you still have the Linux
Personal download, that you follow Mike Heininger's
instructions (posted here, 4/23/03) for installing
from a CD. The download, when run through
Stuffit Expander (version 7+) will create a folder
like this

jb9_linux.1:
ca.list
copyrights.html
country.list
deploy.html
jdatastore_license.html
license.html
per.slip
per_install.bin
phone.list
privacy.html
register_jb.html
release_notes.html
setup_linux.html
us.list
whatsnew.html

I tried this solution. I got the right folder with the same elements than you mention. My unstuffed folder is called "jb9_linux" and is on my desktop.
Go to the terminal, cd to that folder (mine is
called "jb9_linux.1", but yours may be different
so make adjustments), and type at the prompt:

% sh per_install.bin LAX_VM /usr/bin/java
Problem when I go to terminal and type the command
% sh per_install.bin LAX_VM /usr/bin/java
I receive a message: "-bash: fg: %: no such job"
I give you a copy of the terminal commands:
Ordinateur-de-Gabriel-Parriaux:~ gabrielparriaux$ cd desktop
Ordinateur-de-Gabriel-Parriaux:~/desktop/jb9_linux gabrielparriaux$ % sh per_install.bin LAX_VM /usr/bin/java
-bash: fg: %: no such job
As I don't feel very easy with UNIX commands and Terminal, did I do something wrong?
I can't go further...
Thank you for your informations
Gabriel

Accept the default directory for installing JBuilder.
That is, _do not_ press the "Choose" button!

Before doing this, you may wish to rename the .borland
folder in your home folder to something else in order
to avoid possible licensing conflicts. When you downloaded
the Linux Personal version, you should have gotten an
activation file by email. You will need that.

I just went through this to test it out, and it appears
that the JBuilder.app folder has nothing in it. So, you
will have to use the shell script to launch JBuilder 9.

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?

Thank you.

{smallsort}

Gabriel Parriaux wrote:
Problem when I go to terminal and type the command

% sh per_install.bin LAX_VM /usr/bin/java

I receive a message: "-bash: fg: %: no such job"

I give you a copy of the terminal commands:

Ordinateur-de-Gabriel-Parriaux:~ gabrielparriaux$ cd desktop
Ordinateur-de-Gabriel-Parriaux:~/desktop/jb9_linux gabrielparriaux$ % sh per_install.bin LAX_VM /usr/bin/java
-bash: fg: %: no such job
Oh, the "%" is the prompt; you are not
supposed to type it. (Panther is using
bash and it appears that the default