JBuilder hangs on launch

2004-06-24 05:53:32 AM
jbuilder4
I installed JBuilder 7 Enterprise on my iBook running OS 10.2.x, and it
worked fine for awhile--maybe a couple of weeks. Then, for no obvious
reason, it started{*word*154} when I tried to launch it. More precisely,
the "J"-in-a-circle icon in the dock bounces for a fairly long time,
then stops bouncing; the icon stays in the dock, but I never see a
JBuilder menu bar or windows. I uninstalled and reinstalled JBuilder,
but that didn't help. I also tried opening a JBuilder project (.jpx);
that gives the "There is no default application specified..." alert and
lets you choose an application--but when I choose JBuilder, I get "The
operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error
code -10814)." Anyone have any ideas? TIA.
--Don

Re:JBuilder hangs on launch

Don Byrd wrote:
I installed JBuilder 7 Enterprise on my iBook running OS 10.2.x, and it
worked fine for awhile--maybe a couple of weeks. Then, for no obvious
reason, it started{*word*154} when I tried to launch it. More precisely,
the "J"-in-a-circle icon in the dock bounces for a fairly long time,
then stops bouncing; the icon stays in the dock, but I never see a
JBuilder menu bar or windows. I uninstalled and reinstalled JBuilder,
but that didn't help. I also tried opening a JBuilder project (.jpx);
that gives the "There is no default application specified..." alert and
lets you choose an application--but when I choose JBuilder, I get "The
operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error
code -10814)." Anyone have any ideas? TIA.
Start JBuilder in the verbose mode. Read the
output to the Console.app. Come back here with the
error messages.
For notes on how to do this, search archives at
Tamaracka (www.tamaracka.com) using
^jbuilder ^macintosh console verbose
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:JBuilder hangs on launch

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
Don Byrd wrote:

>I installed JBuilder 7 Enterprise on my iBook running OS 10.2.x, and
>it worked fine for awhile--maybe a couple of weeks. Then, for no
>obvious reason, it started{*word*154} when I tried to launch it...
>. I also tried opening a
>JBuilder project (.jpx); that gives the "There is no default
>application specified..." alert and lets you choose an
>application--but when I choose JBuilder, I get "The operation could
>not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -10814)."
>Anyone have any ideas? TIA.

Start JBuilder in the verbose mode. Read the
output to the Console.app. Come back here with the
error messages.
I started JBuilder from a Terminal window via
./jbuilder -verbose -info
Then I looked at console.log--is this the sane as "output to the
Console.app"? I assume so; I couldn't find anything else. Anyway, the
above command hangs (no surprise), but without putting anything into the
dock. Console.log says
Mac OS X Version 10.2.8 (Build 6R73)
Jun 24 10:17:36 d-184-195 WindowServer[184]: CGXDisableUpdate:
Updates disabled by
connection 0x6903 for over 1.000000 seconds
But that one message seems quite irrelevant to JBuilder. For one thing,
I didn't even start JBuilder till c. 10:30! ??
I also tried, both on the Apple web site and via regular Google, to find
an explanation of error code -10814, but I didn't find one.
--Don

For notes on how to do this, search archives at
Tamaracka (www.tamaracka.com) using

^jbuilder ^macintosh console verbose

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder hangs on launch

Don Byrd wrote:
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:

>Don Byrd wrote:
>
>>I installed JBuilder 7 Enterprise on my iBook running OS 10.2.x, and
>>it worked fine for awhile--maybe a couple of weeks. Then, for no
>>obvious reason, it started{*word*154} when I tried to launch it...
>>. I also tried opening a JBuilder project (.jpx); that gives the
>>"There is no default application specified..." alert and lets you
>>choose an application--but when I choose JBuilder, I get "The
>>operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error
>>code -10814)." Anyone have any ideas? TIA.
>

>Start JBuilder in the verbose mode. Read the
>output to the Console.app. Come back here with the
>error messages.

I started JBuilder from a Terminal window via

./jbuilder -verbose -info

Then I looked at console.log--is this the sane as "output to the
Console.app"? I assume so; I couldn't find anything else. Anyway, the
above command hangs (no surprise), but without putting anything into the
dock. Console.log says

Mac OS X Version 10.2.8 (Build 6R73)
Jun 24 10:17:36 d-184-195 WindowServer[184]: CGXDisableUpdate:
Updates disabled by
connection 0x6903 for over 1.000000 seconds

But that one message seems quite irrelevant to JBuilder. For one thing,
I didn't even start JBuilder till c. 10:30! ??
The WindowServer message may be related to something else.
Also, starting JBuilder from the command line in the above
manner may result in the use of an environment different
from the one which the JBuilder app bundle will run in.
Try this:
Navigate to the JBuilderX/JBuilder.framework/bin
folder. Edit (you may have to change permissions)
the jbuilder.config file, adding
addparam -verbose
Start JBuilder by double clicking on the app icon or its
representative in the Dock. Observe the output in the
same Console.app window you mention above.
Also, go to a Terminal session and type at the prompt
% java -version
What does it say. There were versions of Apple's implementation
which messed up earlier versions of JBuilder's app bundle. This
may be what you are confronting. Go to Tamaracka and read
the thread in this newsgroup titled "Installing Foundation on OS X"
from early February, 2004. It talks about some of the issues.
--

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
Don Byrd wrote:

>Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
>
>>Don Byrd wrote:
>>
>>>I installed JBuilder 7 Enterprise on my iBook running OS 10.2.x, and
>>>it worked fine for awhile--maybe a couple of weeks. Then, for no
>>>obvious reason, it started{*word*154} when I tried to launch it...
>>>. I also tried opening a JBuilder project (.jpx); that gives the
>>>"There is no default application specified..." alert and lets you
>>>choose an application--but when I choose JBuilder, I get "The
>>>operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred
>>>(error code -10814)." Anyone have any ideas? TIA.
>>

>>Start JBuilder in the verbose mode. Read the
>>output to the Console.app. Come back here with the
>>error messages.
>

>I started JBuilder from a Terminal window via
>
>./jbuilder -verbose -info
>
>Then I looked at console.log--is this the sane as "output to the
>Console.app"? I assume so; I couldn't find anything else. Anyway, the
>above command hangs (no surprise), but without putting anything into
>the dock. Console.log says
>
>Mac OS X Version 10.2.8 (Build 6R73)
>Jun 24 10:17:36 d-184-195 WindowServer[184]: CGXDisableUpdate:
>Updates disabled by
>connection 0x6903 for over 1.000000 seconds
>
>But that one message seems quite irrelevant to JBuilder. For one
>thing, I didn't even start JBuilder till c. 10:30! ??

The WindowServer message may be related to something else.

Also, starting JBuilder from the command line in the above
manner may result in the use of an environment different
from the one which the JBuilder app bundle will run in.

Try this:

Navigate to the JBuilderX/JBuilder.framework/bin
folder. Edit (you may have to change permissions)
the jbuilder.config file, adding

addparam -verbose

Start JBuilder by double clicking on the app icon or its
representative in the Dock. Observe the output in the
same Console.app window you mention above.
Okay, I added the addparam and started JBuilder by double-clicking the
icon. Here's the Console output:
Mac OS X Version 10.2.8 (Build 6R73)
Jun 24 16:16:45 d-184-195 WindowServer[179]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates
disabled by connection 0x6903 for over 1.000000 seconds
CFMessagePortCreateRemote tries: 1153
NB: all of that was from before I tried to launch JBuilder; it still
didn't display anything in the console. I just double-checked
jbuilder.config; the "addparam -verbose" is there.
Also, go to a Terminal session and type at the prompt

% java -version

What does it say. There were versions of Apple's implementation
which messed up earlier versions of JBuilder's app bundle. This
may be what you are confronting. Go to Tamaracka and read
the thread in this newsgroup titled "Installing Foundation on OS X"
from early February, 2004. It talks about some of the issues.
Got it! I'm running Java "1.4.1_01". One of the "Installing Foundation
on OS X" messages gives a line that must be added to jdk.config to run
1.4.1. I added that line to my jdk.config, and everything is OK now.
Thanks very much for the great support.
--Don