Tomcat library in JBuilder X

2004-01-14 12:50:51 AM
jbuilder7
Folks,
I installed JBX Enterprise and found that my JB9 Enterprise project would
not build.
The project server was set correctly to Tomcat 4.0. Under JB9 this seemed to
be enough to ensure that the Tomcat servlet.jar was added to the class path
at compile time. I cannot remember explictly having to define a library that
included the Tomcat servlet.jar library.
However in JBX, servlet.jar does not seemed to automatically added when one
sets the project server to Tomcat 4.0. Hence the build fails. Furthermore
there is no pre-defined library that contains this jar file as far as I can
see. The only way I could get the project to build was to explicitly define
a "user" or "project" library that pointed to the tomcat servlet.jar file.
Seems odd to me.... Is this correct behaviour for JBX or am I doing
something wrong?
TIA - Adam Lipscombe

Re:Tomcat library in JBuilder X

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
I installed JBX Enterprise and found that my JB9 Enterprise project would
not build.
The project server was set correctly to Tomcat 4.0. Under JB9 this seemed to
be enough to ensure that the Tomcat servlet.jar was added to the class path
at compile time. I cannot remember explictly having to define a library that
included the Tomcat servlet.jar library.

However in JBX, servlet.jar does not seemed to automatically added when one
sets the project server to Tomcat 4.0. Hence the build fails. Furthermore
there is no pre-defined library that contains this jar file as far as I can
see. The only way I could get the project to build was to explicitly define
a "user" or "project" library that pointed to the tomcat servlet.jar file.

Seems odd to me.... Is this correct behaviour for JBX or am I doing
something wrong?
I suspect that there is an issue of opening
your JBuilder 9-originated project in JBuilder X
because I just created a new Web Module, and the
servlet.jar was added to the project's required
libraries. I did it several times just to be
certain.
Try flipping the server setting to Tomcat 4.1,
press OK to dismiss the Project Properties
dialog. Then open it again, check the required
libraries, and you should see "Servlet" in the
list. Since you really want Tomcat 4.0, flip
the server again, and OK your way out of the
dialog. That should do it.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:Tomcat library in JBuilder X

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the input, but sadly that didnt work.
I flipped between Tomcat 4.1 and 4.0 several times and then tried it with
quitiing JBuilder in between each flip. It didnt make any difference.
Any ideas?
TIA - Adam
"Paul Furbacher" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Adam Lipscombe wrote:

>I installed JBX Enterprise and found that my JB9 Enterprise project
would
>not build.
>The project server was set correctly to Tomcat 4.0. Under JB9 this
seemed to
>be enough to ensure that the Tomcat servlet.jar was added to the class
path
>at compile time. I cannot remember explictly having to define a library
that
>included the Tomcat servlet.jar library.
>
>However in JBX, servlet.jar does not seemed to automatically added when
one
>sets the project server to Tomcat 4.0. Hence the build fails.
Furthermore
>there is no pre-defined library that contains this jar file as far as I
can
>see. The only way I could get the project to build was to explicitly
define
>a "user" or "project" library that pointed to the tomcat servlet.jar
file.

>Seems odd to me.... Is this correct behaviour for JBX or am I doing
>something wrong?

I suspect that there is an issue of opening
your JBuilder 9-originated project in JBuilder X
because I just created a new Web Module, and the
servlet.jar was added to the project's required
libraries. I did it several times just to be
certain.

Try flipping the server setting to Tomcat 4.1,
press OK to dismiss the Project Properties
dialog. Then open it again, check the required
libraries, and you should see "Servlet" in the
list. Since you really want Tomcat 4.0, flip
the server again, and OK your way out of the
dialog. That should do it.

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?

Thank you.

{smallsort}

Re:Tomcat library in JBuilder X

OK I have sussed it now:
I created a new project, then created a new web module and chose Tomcat 4.0
as the server.
This created the Tomcat 4.0 and 4.1 library definitions in my "User" area.
When I re-opened my old project these libs were still available and I added
Tom,cat 4.0 to the project. Bingo :-)
It seems to be the case the Tomcat lib definitions are not created in your
User area until you create the first web module.
Thnaks - Adam

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
OK I have sussed it now:

I created a new project, then created a new web module and chose Tomcat 4.0
as the server.
This created the Tomcat 4.0 and 4.1 library definitions in my "User" area.

When I re-opened my old project these libs were still available and I added
Tom,cat 4.0 to the project. Bingo :-)

It seems to be the case the Tomcat lib definitions are not created in your
User area until you create the first web module.
Okay, that's why it worked for me ... I
had made more than one Web Module prior
to testing out your problem.
Can you submit a report at Quality Central on
this, and include your work-around, emphasizing
the fact that you had not yet made a Web Module
in JBuilder X? There may be a good number of users
who start working with JBuilder X, working on
existing projects, not making new ones first.
So this problem should at least be on the radar.
Thanks.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:Tomcat library in JBuilder X

>It seems to be the case the Tomcat lib definitions are not created in your
>User area until you create the first web module.

Okay, that's why it worked for me ... I
had made more than one Web Module prior
to testing out your problem.
Would this also be true of the Xalan library? I tried to use the
Xalan library that came with the JBX Trial, but it points to a
non-existent directory
../extras/xalan/bin/xalan.jar
I have downloaded extras.zip, but it did not have this directory,
either.
To get around this, I just define my own Xalan library (which I
already had from previous versions of JBuilder) and used it.

Re:Tomcat library in JBuilder X

I have done this.