What does "native executable" means?

2005-04-13 01:56:12 AM
jbuilder18
It is said that JBuilder Developer edition and Enterprise edtion have the
feature called "native executable". What does it mean?
Does it mean that we could create standalone executable application
(independent of Java virtual machine) using JBuilder Developer edition or
Enterprise edtion, the executable application is an .EXE file with machine
codes inside like what we do with C++ compiler?
If this is true, what don't we compile Java program to native executable?
That will be faster in running than using byte code.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Guang

Re:What does "native executable" means?

Guangzong Zhuo wrote:
It is said that JBuilder Developer edition and Enterprise edtion have
the feature called "native executable". What does it mean?
It means that JBuilder can build a .EXE file that you can run directly
rather than call the program through the Java command-line.
Does it mean that we could create standalone executable application
(independent of Java virtual machine) using JBuilder Developer
edition or Enterprise edtion, the executable application is an .EXE
file with machine codes inside like what we do with C++ compiler?
No. The native executable is only an executable stub followed by the
byte-code JAR file. The stub locates the Java installation and
requires the JVM to run.
If this is true, what don't we compile Java program to native
executable? That will be faster in running than using byte code.
Java's byte code is pretty fast, thanks to the HotSpot optimizer.
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Re:What does "native executable" means?

Thanks, Kevin Dean.
Guang
"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Guangzong Zhuo wrote:

>It is said that JBuilder Developer edition and Enterprise edtion have
>the feature called "native executable". What does it mean?

It means that JBuilder can build a .EXE file that you can run directly
rather than call the program through the Java command-line.

>Does it mean that we could create standalone executable application
>(independent of Java virtual machine) using JBuilder Developer
>edition or Enterprise edtion, the executable application is an .EXE
>file with machine codes inside like what we do with C++ compiler?

No. The native executable is only an executable stub followed by the
byte-code JAR file. The stub locates the Java installation and
requires the JVM to run.

>If this is true, what don't we compile Java program to native
>executable? That will be faster in running than using byte code.

Java's byte code is pretty fast, thanks to the HotSpot optimizer.
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.
www.datadevelopment.com/

NEW WHITEPAPERS
Securing Borland Enterprise Server

info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

{smallsort}

Re:What does "native executable" means?

It's a misleading term because it implies it is compiled to native machine
instructions and you don't need the JVM to run it. "Binary Batch File" would
be a better description of what it is.