JBuilder 4 -> X upgrade

2004-07-31 04:26:37 AM
jbuilder20
I recently upgraded from JBuilder 4 to X enterprise and I'm
having trouble getting the development environment to work
with reasonable performance. More specifically, in order
to run a servlet I associated it with a web module, but when
I right click on "Web Run using xyz" it takes more than 4 min
to copy all the module files, compile and finally start. This
used to take less than 1 min with JB4.
Is there another way of doing this? What am I missing?
Thanks,
George

Re:JBuilder 4 -> X upgrade

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:26:37 -0500, George Kontoravdis
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I right click on "Web Run using xyz" it takes more than 4 min
to copy all the module files, compile and finally start. This
used to take less than 1 min with JB4.
Resource requirements have generally increased. What kind of hardware
(processor, RAM) do you have, and what release of JBuilder X are you
using? Enterprise has higher requirements than the "lesser" ones, for
instance.
--
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
TeamB

Re:JBuilder 4 -> X upgrade

< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>I right click on "Web Run using xyz" it takes more than 4 min
>to copy all the module files, compile and finally start. This
>used to take less than 1 min with JB4.

Resource requirements have generally increased. What kind of hardware
(processor, RAM) do you have, and what release of JBuilder X are you
using? Enterprise has higher requirements than the "lesser" ones, for
instance.
Dell Latitude @ 1.7GHz with 1G RAM, running JBuilder X Enterprise.
It doesn't seem to be a memory issue because the task manager shows
about 50% memory utilization during building.
Here is a little more data:
1. 45 secs to "Check" class files. I guess this is the step that
it checks if a java class needs to be compiled. There are about
2,000 class files.
2. 2 mins to "Copy class to Web module ..." although there is
virtually no disk activity to indicate copying. During this
step the CPU utilization stays at 100%
Talked to Borland tech support, but they couldn't provide any insight ...

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder 4 -> X upgrade

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:49:37 -0500, < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Dell Latitude @ 1.7GHz with 1G RAM, running JBuilder X Enterprise.
It doesn't seem to be a memory issue because the task manager shows
about 50% memory utilization during building.
JBuilder, being a Java application, does not utilize available RAM
directly, but the heap. You can configure JBuilder's heap size (which
should help) by editing the file JBuilderX\bin\jbuilder.config - look for
the line
vmparam -Xmx768m
which tells it how much max heap to use. Try experimenting by setting it
higher - or even lower.
--
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
TeamB

Re:JBuilder 4 -> X upgrade

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen (TeamB) wrote:
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:49:37 -0500, < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Dell Latitude @ 1.7GHz with 1G RAM, running JBuilder X Enterprise.
>It doesn't seem to be a memory issue because the task manager shows
>about 50% memory utilization during building.

JBuilder, being a Java application, does not utilize available RAM
directly, but the heap. You can configure JBuilder's heap size (which
should help) by editing the file JBuilderX\bin\jbuilder.config - look
for the line

vmparam -Xmx768m

which tells it how much max heap to use. Try experimenting by setting
it higher - or even lower.
I tried a number of combinations, but none seemed to help. I settled for
vmparam -Xms128m
vmparam -Xmx768m