Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

2007-01-25 05:33:30 AM
jbuilder9
For a new project we are evaluating Eclipse and Netbeans.
Jbuilder has not made the short list.
I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?
I am not and will never be. I am and have been using JBuilder until 2006 and
will turn to NetBeans for further development.

none wrote:
For a new project we are evaluating Eclipse and Netbeans.
Jbuilder has not made the short list.
I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?
I plan to use it as soon as it's J2EE is up to my current code base.
There is things I use that are not currently supported by integrated
importer and also EJB designer has problems with these things.
Doychin

{smallsort}

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

I am using JBuilder 2007 at work. Besides other featues, the UML
features in it (from Together) are very nice.

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

I am.
-jim
none wrote:
For a new project we are evaluating Eclipse and Netbeans.
Jbuilder has not made the short list.
I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

Interesting answer...
Care to share with us your reasoning?
I can understand the draw to go towards Eclipse, given their domination of the market in terms of userbase, but I'm not sure what good reasons there are for going from JBuilder to Netbeans.
Cheers,
Andy
"Jennifer-Ashley" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?

I am not and will never be. I am and have been using JBuilder until 2006 and
will turn to NetBeans for further development.

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

I am using it.
none <""none\"@(none)">wrote:
For a new project we are evaluating Eclipse and Netbeans.
Jbuilder has not made the short list.
I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

I think this link will highlight some reasons to move to Netbeans:
blogs.sun.com/roumen/entry/why_should_jbuilder_users_consider
HTH,

--
Ludovic
"Les formes qui differencient les etres importent peu

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

I couldn't have put it more accurately. NetBeans comes with a complete Java
developing environment "out of the box", whereas with Eclipse you need to
start adding plug-ins right from the start. NetBeans was created by a Czech,
who wanted to build a Java IDE that looked and felt like Delphi. I thing the
Borland/CodeGear community should seriously consider NetBeans over
Eclipse/JBuilder 2007.
"Ludovic HOCHET" <personne@nullepart>schreef in bericht

dingfelder wrote:
>Interesting answer...
>
>Care to share with us your reasoning?
>
>I can understand the draw to go towards Eclipse, given their domination
>of the market in terms of userbase, but I'm not sure what good reasons
>there are for going from JBuilder to Netbeans.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Andy
>
>"Jennifer-Ashley" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>>I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?
>>I am not and will never be. I am and have been using JBuilder until 2006
>>and will turn to NetBeans for further development.

--
Ludovic

"Les formes qui differencient les etres importent peu
si leur pensees s'unissent pour batir un univers..."
Yoko Tsuno (in 'Les titans' by Roger Leloup)
[The shapes that differenciate beings are not important
if their thoughts unite to build a universe]

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

I won't address much of the post, but I do have a couple of quick comments:
"If you are a JBuilder user you should consider NetBeans. Why? Because it is much closer to the original JBuilder (2005 or earlier)" -- this is based upon the HUGE assumption that 2005 is "better". IMHO, it is just "different" and once you get used to it, you very well may like 2007 better.
"Swing vs. SWT - if you prefer Swing user interfaces, you'll have to get used to SWT." -- Rubbish. Eclipse provides the ability to use SWT, but there is no reason you have to. If you like swing, you can keep using it.
"No support for <whetever>" -- there are free plugins for all the things that they mentioned.
"growth" -- while each IDE claims that their's is "fastest growing" or some such nonsense, I am highly suspct about the statistics. I suggest reading this post for some interesting data: www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t65767.html
"community" -- At last estimation by a non-biased survey (in september), eclipse had over 2.27 Million users. I think netbeans was somewhere around 900,000 according to their own data. I personally would perfer to get support from the largest community possible when I have issues.
Anyway, food for thought.

none wrote:
For a new project we are evaluating Eclipse and Netbeans.
Jbuilder has not made the short list.
I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?
I switched to Eclipse from JBuilder 2005. Although there were some
features that I miss (It has no built-in JAR signing capability? Maybe
JBuilder 2007 adds it), the raft of new features in Eclipse well makes
up for it. Eclipse is surprisingly faster than JBuilder 2005 - The
incremental compiler means that your files are compiled silently in the
background every time you save, not slowing you down in the slightest.
When you click "run", it *runs*! I used to be able to read a newsgroup
post in the time it took JBuilder 2005 to decide that 2 classes had
changed and recompile them. Eclipse is instantaneous. Another great
speed boost comes from the hot code replacement facility - If you're
debugging your application, you can make changes to your code and see
the results instantly, without relaunching. Although it has limitations,
it's perfect for making spacing and colour adjustments to your GUI
drawing code!
If JBuilder 2007 adds most of the little niceties that JBuilder 2005 has
into Eclipse, it's gotta be a winner. Myself, I could never afford it,
so I'm staying with Eclipse :).
Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
--
www.sherlocksoftware.org

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

dingfelder wrote:
I am using it.

none <""none\"@(none)">wrote:

>For a new project we are evaluating Eclipse and Netbeans.
>Jbuilder has not made the short list.
>I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?

JBuilder just got too expensive for me. I've started using Eclipse which is free.
Lot's active developers using it who produce many useable plugins -- many free some commercial.
It's interface is different from JB but once I got used to it I see the power of Eclipse. It's really good for debuging and developing. Not so good at editing but there are a bunch of editor plugins.

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

I tend to agree. NetBeans 5.5 has a GUI builder now and
code generation for web access of databases, does JSPs nicely
and J2EE stuff and is more intuitive than than Eclipse.
JBuilder still had the advantage of DataExpress components so it was still easier to develop some simpler database applications with JBuilder, however now 2007 JBuilder dumped DataExpress and JDataStore, so I see no reason for continuing with JBuilder. Also I don't see how JBuilder 2007 can claim to be backwards compatible since most of the examples and all the database examples won't work in 2007 since DataExpress was dumped.
Am I missing something?

news:45bbc6a2$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:40:36 +0100, Ludovic HOCHET wrote:
I think this link will highlight some reasons to move to Netbeans:
blogs.sun.com/roumen/entry/why_should_jbuilder_users_consider

HTH,
Sun's "blogs" are little more than their own hype engine. Netbeans is a
decent enough IDE, but JBuilder 2007 is built on a solid platform.
Netbeans really only became little more than a bad joke after 5.0 shipped.
Between the two I'd rather use JBuilder 2007.
--
David Orriss Jr. [TeamB]
www.codethought.com

Re:Anyone using Jbuilder 2007

"Jennifer-Ashley" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
>I wonder if anyone is using Jbuilder 2007 ?

I am not and will never be. I am and have been using JBuilder until
2006 and will turn to NetBeans for further development.

I have to concur with this. JB2006 was (and is for the time being) a good
product. I have had nothing but trouble getting Eclipse into a usable
state in the past. We just got our JB2007 upgrade and I think I can say we
won't be renewing our contract.
--
Patrick Maloney
New York State Workers' Compensation Board