Calling JBuilder UML diagram generator from ant - can it be done ?

2005-06-22 05:56:48 PM
jbuilder18
I am not sure if this is the best group to post this in, but couldnt see a better alternative.
I currently have a set of 'release' ant scripts which rebuild, archive & deploy a set of projects in JBuilder. This also generates a clean set of javadoc documentation.
I would like to include some UML diagrams in the javadoc documentation (as available in JBuilder enterprise ide).
The simple solution (generate diagrams, save them as images then copy them over and link them in to javadoc) doesnt really cut it - as rather laborious and prone to things getting out of sync.
The ideal (?) solution would be to be able to invoke the JBuilder UML diagram generator from witin ant - and run it 'pointing' at the deployed code - then store the resulting images as resources.
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to call the UML diagram generator in this way - I am happy to write a custom ant task if required, given some kind of api into the UML generator.
Thanks,
Dr Andrew Gray

Re:Calling JBuilder UML diagram generator from ant - can it be done ?

Andrew Gray wrote:
[...]

You will probably get more/better answers if you ask this in the
"opentools" group. I've only used a little of the opentools API, but
that's what you'd want to use.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:Calling JBuilder UML diagram generator from ant - can it be done ?

Does anyone have any idea to help me with this ? :
I currently have a set of 'release' ant scripts which rebuild,
archive & deploy a set of projects in JBuilder. This also generates a 'clean' set of javadoc documentation.
I would like to include some UML diagrams in the javadoc
documentation (as available in JBuilder enterprise ide).
The simple solution (generate diagrams, save them as images then copy them over and link them in to javadoc) doesnt really cut it - as rather laborious and prone to things getting out of sync.
The ideal (?) solution would be to be able to invoke the JBuilder UML diagram generator from within ant - and run it 'pointing' at the deployed code - then store the resulting images as resources.
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to call the UML diagram
generator in this way - I am happy to write a custom ant task if
required, given some kind of api into the UML generator.
Thanks,
Dr Andrew Gray

{smallsort}

Re:Calling JBuilder UML diagram generator from ant - can it be done ?

The image file is generated by forcing a repaint of the screen image into a
buffer. So you need the UI to be present before the image can be made.
What you are thinking about cannot be easily done though it is not
impossible.
You first have to write a command line parameter handler to take the project
path, source file path, and image output path. Have it open the project and
the source file when the Browser comes up and change the active node viewer
to UML. Write your own equivalent to the Save Diagram processing where you
use the given output path. Probably you would want to scale the image down
a bit. Then close down JBuilder.