Mask JdbTable values

2004-07-08 11:30:59 AM
jbuilder10
Hello all,
Is there a way to set up a "mask" for values in certain column(s) in
JdbTable. For instance, I have column called "Priority". If the value is 1,
users should see "High", if value is 2, users should see "Normal" and if
the value is 2, users should see "Low". I realise, of course, that i can use
multitable query and join 2 or more tables. In fact i do exactly that. But I
have very big tables, over 10000 records and for performance issue would
like to have one table query and avoid joints whenever possible.
Thanks at advance,
Vlad

Re:Mask JdbTable values

vlad wrote:
Is there a way to set up a "mask" for values in certain column(s) in
JdbTable. For instance, I have column called "Priority". If the value is 1,
users should see "High", if value is 2, users should see "Normal" and if
the value is 2, users should see "Low". I realise, of course, that i can use
multitable query and join 2 or more tables. In fact i do exactly that. But I
have very big tables, over 10000 records and for performance issue would
like to have one table query and avoid joints whenever possible.
Wouldn't a custom painter/renderer fit the bill
here. Render the text you want based on the
underlying value. There may even be some kind
of display/value resolving painter in the
dbswing or other package. (I seem to remember that
in the JBCL, there was a painter which did
something like that, ... or did I create one?
The painters in dbSwing are somewhat related to
the painters used in the old, now out-dated,
JBCL.)
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:Mask JdbTable values

Thank you Paul,
I'll give it a try,
Vlad
"Paul Furbacher [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
vlad wrote:

>Is there a way to set up a "mask" for values in certain column(s) in
>JdbTable. For instance, I have column called "Priority". If the value is
1,
>users should see "High", if value is 2, users should see "Normal" and if
>the value is 2, users should see "Low". I realise, of course, that i can
use
>multitable query and join 2 or more tables. In fact i do exactly that.
But I
>have very big tables, over 10000 records and for performance issue would
>like to have one table query and avoid joints whenever possible.

Wouldn't a custom painter/renderer fit the bill
here. Render the text you want based on the
underlying value. There may even be some kind
of display/value resolving painter in the
dbswing or other package. (I seem to remember that
in the JBCL, there was a painter which did
something like that, ... or did I create one?
The painters in dbSwing are somewhat related to
the painters used in the old, now out-dated,
JBCL.)

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives: