OR Mapper

2005-04-15 04:51:05 AM
jbuilder14
Hello All,
I am in the middle of evaluating different Open Source JDO
implementations. Does anyone have an idea about which is a better one ?
By better I mean learning curve is not very high and its easy to use
with JBuilder. So far Apache db-ojb is what I have seen and its a pain
to configure it.
Many thanks.

Re:OR Mapper

Knopfler wrote:
I am in the middle of evaluating different Open Source JDO
implementations. Does anyone have an idea about which is a better one ?
By better I mean learning curve is not very high and its easy to use
with JBuilder. So far Apache db-ojb is what I have seen and its a pain
to configure it.
Look at Cayenne: www.obectstyle.org. It's historically based on
NeXT/Apple's Enterprise Object Foundation (EOF), one of the first OR
Mappers, and still one of the best. TopLink and the other are
pretty much followers. Hibernate is good but suffers from
XML-itis as does OJB and others. Cayenne has a great GUI for
creating your mappings, generating class files (abstract and
concrete) and generating the schema. You can map from
an existing database, create a new design and then generate
the schema -- very much like the two-tools of JBuilder.
I especially like how you can choose to generate both
abstract and concrete classes: put your business logic
in the concrete class and let Cayenne manage the abstract
class. I also like the fact that it defines and manages
relationships in a more obvious manner in the modeler than
does Hibernate. (My perception is that Hibernate requires
you to think and then implement in XML the nature and
direction of the relationship, thus leaving you much more
exposed to making mistakes. With Cayenne, it's pretty apparent
in the modeler GUI.)
It may not be as popular as Hibernate, but it is being
used in production and it has very smart people working
on it.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives: