Re: Still can't launch JBuilder7

2003-11-05 11:18:56 AM
jbuilder22
I just tried this with Panther and it worked fine. I had changed the
jdk.config file but do I need to when I run this script?
Thanks,
Jon
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
In <3ea06325$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Ivar wrote:

>I have just recently upgraded the OS on my iBook to 10.2.5. Ever
>since then I have not been able to launch JBuilder7. I have tried the
>workarounds listed at the sight below still without success.
>
>developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/java141/
>resolvedIssues/chapter_5_section_5.html
>
>I am very new to using the terminal. Am I missing something? When
>trying to launch it from the terminal using the code provided, should
>I be doing something else that may seem obvious to everyone else? The
>default install location for JBuilder is in Developer/Applications,
>should it be installed elsewhere?

Try the following shell script. Paste it into BBEdit,
zap gremlins (i.e., delete gremlins), and save to
your Home directory, filename = jb7.sh, Options>Line breaks =
Unix. (If you don't set Unix line breaks, it just won't run,
and will give you cryptic error messages in the Terminal.)
Also, Save Options file creator set to "Generic text". (These
are BBEdit features; if you are using something like "pico"
in the Terminal shell, you don't have to worry about these
settings.)

From the command-line,

% chmod +x jb7.sh

If you want, you could use the extension .command,
as in jb7.command. Any .command generic text file
is double-clickable. So, you could put it in the
Dock, on the right-hand side of the divider.

Here's the script:

#!/bin/sh

JBUILDER_HOME=/Developer/Applications/JBuilder7
jdk=1.4.1

echo
echo "************************"
echo "**** Using JDK $jdk ****"
echo "************************"
echo

cd $JBUILDER_HOME/JBuilder.framework/bin

jars=`find ../patch ../lib ../lib/ext -name \*.jar | tr '\012' : `

exec /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/$jdk/Commands/java \
-Xdock:name="JBuilder 7":icon=$JBUILDER_HOME/JBuilder.app/Contents/Resources/JBuilder.icns \
-Xmaxf0.2 \
-Xminf0.2 \
-Dcom.apple.macos.useScreenMenuBar=true \
-Xverify:none \
-Xbootclasspath/p:../lib/lawt.jar \
-Xms32m \
-Xmx128m \
-cp ${jars}:/System/Library/Java:/System/Library/Java/Extensions/MRJToolkit.jar \
com.borland.jbuilder.JBuilder "$@"

Note that you may have to modify the $JBUILDER_HOME setting
to match your installation. I have several versions of JBuilder
installed on this Powerbook, thus I name the folders JBuilder7,
JBuilder7Personal, JBuilder8_Ent, and so on. In your case,
you may just have named it "JBuilder". That's fine, but make
sure the shell script reflects that.

Good luck. It doesn't indeed run. But it can be frustrating
if there's just a typo or something in your little patches
here and there.

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?

Thank you.

Re:Re: Still can't launch JBuilder7

In <3fa86c1f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Jon Wynacht wrote:
I just tried this with Panther and it worked fine. I had changed the
jdk.config file but do I need to when I run this script?
Are you asking:
Do you have to add the .dylib file to the java path for a
shell script?
If so, no. I find that running JBuilder 6 from a shell
script seems to work better -- from the app bundle, the
menus seem to flicker a lot. There's no such flickering
when run from a script. I have no idea what the difference
is.
Paul Furbacher [TeamB]
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:Re: Still can't launch JBuilder7

Yup, that's it. Thanks Paul!
BTW, I'm running JBuilder7 on 10.3 with JDK 1.4.1...anybody else doing
the same and if so, any glitches or issues?
Jon
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
In <3fa86c1f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Jon Wynacht wrote:

>I just tried this with Panther and it worked fine. I had changed the
>jdk.config file but do I need to when I run this script?

Are you asking:

Do you have to add the .dylib file to the java path for a
shell script?

If so, no. I find that running JBuilder 6 from a shell
script seems to work better -- from the app bundle, the
menus seem to flicker a lot. There's no such flickering
when run from a script. I have no idea what the difference
is.

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?