Long Compile Times for JBuilder 2005

2004-12-28 12:08:14 AM
jbuilder3
I've recently upgraded from JBuilder Version 7 to JBuilder 2005 and
find that my project which used to take 2 minutes to 'Rebuild' now takes
over 4 minutes. I am running on Windows 2000 Prof and have 512K of
RAM installed.
Does anyone have any info on how to improve the performance of
JBuilder 2005? Would increaseing RAM to 1M make a significant
difference?
Thanks
Vince Bono

Re:Long Compile Times for JBuilder 2005

Open Task Manager and look how much memory is used or whether the CPU at
100%. Try also disable antiviruses.
- Alexey.

Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:
Open Task Manager and look how much memory is used or whether the CPU at
100%. Try also disable antiviruses.

- Alexey.
I'd rather more explicit advice about antivirus programs. Selectively
disable antivirus on your source and output directories.
You can also tune the usage of memory by tweaking settings in the
<jbuilder>\bin\jdk.config and jbuilder.config files.
Remember that 512 MB is the MINIMUM recommended memory. Increasing
memory will always improve performance.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:Long Compile Times for JBuilder 2005

OK - During compile time my CPU is running at 100% and my Free ROM memory
drops
from 350MB to 140MB. So it does look like I would benifit from increasing my
memory to1GB.
Thanks
Vince Bono
"Lori M Olson [TeamB]" wrote:
Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:

>Open Task Manager and look how much memory is used or whether the CPU at
>100%. Try also disable antiviruses.
>
>- Alexey.

I'd rather more explicit advice about antivirus programs. Selectively
disable antivirus on your source and output directories.

You can also tune the usage of memory by tweaking settings in the
<jbuilder>\bin\jdk.config and jbuilder.config files.

Remember that 512 MB is the MINIMUM recommended memory. Increasing
memory will always improve performance.

--

Regards,

Lori Olson [TeamB]

------------

question.

Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:

Re:Long Compile Times for JBuilder 2005

are you using 512MB RAM? THis is to small for JBuilder especially when
using EJB.
Also I suggest you to switch to ant for build process it is much faster
(4-5 times) then JBuilder make.
Ofcourse this means you have to spend some time learning ant build files
structure becouse ant export never produces good enought files ;-)
They need some cleanup and adjustments.
Doychin

"Lori M Olson [TeamB]" wrote:

>Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:
>

>>Open Task Manager and look how much memory is used or whether the CPU at
>>100%. Try also disable antiviruses.
>>
>>- Alexey.
>
>I'd rather more explicit advice about antivirus programs. Selectively
>disable antivirus on your source and output directories.
>
>You can also tune the usage of memory by tweaking settings in the
><jbuilder>\bin\jdk.config and jbuilder.config files.
>
>Remember that 512 MB is the MINIMUM recommended memory. Increasing
>memory will always improve performance.
>
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Lori Olson [TeamB]
>
>------------
>
>Save yourself, and everyone else, some time and search the
>newsgroups and the FAQ-O-Matic before posting your next
>question.
>
>Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
>www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
>Other Newsgroup Searches:
>www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
>Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:
>www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Re:Long Compile Times for JBuilder 2005

I would blame 100% on an antivirus or on RMIC (it is really really slow
in big projects). If you have 100% CPU load, memory is not an issue.
Maybe you are using NTFS encryption or compression - it also eats CPU
up. If the problem is RMIC - nothing much to do there (the same RMIC
will be slow in ANT), except maybe switching to JDK 1.5, where {I heard}
it is not required to generate RMI stubs.
- Alexey.
Vince Bono wrote:
OK - During compile time my CPU is running at 100% and my Free ROM memory
drops
from 350MB to 140MB. So it does look like I would benifit from increasing my
memory to1GB.
Thanks
Vince Bono

Re:Long Compile Times for JBuilder 2005

Forgot to add that experimenting with "-server" parameter also can cause it.
- Alexey.
Vince Bono wrote:
OK - During compile time my CPU is running at 100% and my Free ROM memory
drops
from 350MB to 140MB. So it does look like I would benifit from increasing my
memory to1GB.
Thanks
Vince Bono

Re:Long Compile Times for JBuilder 2005

I also experienced a slow down in latest JBuilder versions (X and 2005)
when working with web modules. Building web module (whatever that means,
and it is not compiling classes nor copying compiled classes to
WEB-INF/classes directory nor compiling JSPs) is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE
slower then in earlier JBuilder versions.
Mileta

"Lori M Olson [TeamB]" wrote:

>Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:
>

>>Open Task Manager and look how much memory is used or whether the CPU at
>>100%. Try also disable antiviruses.
>>
>>- Alexey.
>
>I'd rather more explicit advice about antivirus programs. Selectively
>disable antivirus on your source and output directories.
>
>You can also tune the usage of memory by tweaking settings in the
><jbuilder>\bin\jdk.config and jbuilder.config files.
>
>Remember that 512 MB is the MINIMUM recommended memory. Increasing
>memory will always improve performance.
>
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Lori Olson [TeamB]
>
>------------
>
>Save yourself, and everyone else, some time and search the
>newsgroups and the FAQ-O-Matic before posting your next
>question.
>
>Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
>www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
>Other Newsgroup Searches:
>www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
>Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:
>www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Re:Long Compile Times for JBuilder 2005

I've got 1G of RAM (moved up from 512MB) and haven't noticed anything
spectacular during compile and/or design time.
--
Todd Frahm
Manager - Software Engineering
"Vince Bono" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I've recently upgraded from JBuilder Version 7 to JBuilder 2005 and
find that my project which used to take 2 minutes to 'Rebuild' now takes

over 4 minutes. I am running on Windows 2000 Prof and have 512K of
RAM installed.

Does anyone have any info on how to improve the performance of
JBuilder 2005? Would increaseing RAM to 1M make a significant
difference?

Thanks
Vince Bono

Re:Long Compile Times for JBuilder 2005

>I've recently upgraded from JBuilder Version 7 to JBuilder 2005 and
>find that my project which used to take 2 minutes to 'Rebuild' now takes
>
>over 4 minutes. I am running on Windows 2000 Prof and have 512K of
>RAM installed.
>
>Does anyone have any info on how to improve the performance of
>JBuilder 2005? Would increaseing RAM to 1M make a significant
>difference?
I noticed this too, except my change was from about 1 to 4 mins. Increasing
the spec of the machine made no difference. Lots of cups of tea are made in
the 'intermissions'.
Iain

CaptnTony wrote:
I've got 1G of RAM (moved up from 512MB) and haven't noticed anything
spectacular during compile and/or design time.
You should see an overall improvement in JBuilders performance, but the
performance of the compiler is entirely up to the speed of your CPU.
--
David Orriss Jr. *TeamB*
www.davenet.net/

"David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
CaptnTony wrote:

>I've got 1G of RAM (moved up from 512MB) and haven't noticed anything
>spectacular during compile and/or design time.

You should see an overall improvement in JBuilders performance, but the
performance of the compiler is entirely up to the speed of your CPU.
Yeh, I agree, but the irony is that I also upgraded from 1.0 GHz Pentium III
to a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4.
There are a lot of other variables, like I also (obviously) upgraded the JDK
compiler from that normal in JBuilder 7 to the normal one for JB 2005. We
also upgraded our App Server to Oracle 10g from 9i, and that has really
caused a few problems......in other areas though. However, the actual files
that I compile from and compile location have never moved from their mounted
drive.
Cheers
Iain