font problems

2004-10-08 10:28:12 PM
jbuilder14
Howdy All!
I have developed a jbuilder application on a Windows 2000 platform and it
works and displays fine.
I created a jar file and copied it to my Linux system, and when I run the
application, it works fine, but it doesn't display properly.
The fonts are too large and many of the labels are truncated.
I have tried a variety of things, but no matter what I do, the displayed
fonts don't change.
What do I need to do?
Please advise.
Thanks.
Regards,
Steve.
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:font problems

"Steve Shapiro" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Howdy All!

I have developed a jbuilder application on a Windows 2000 platform and it
works and displays fine.

I created a jar file and copied it to my Linux system, and when I run the
application, it works fine, but it doesn't display properly.

The fonts are too large and many of the labels are truncated.

I have tried a variety of things, but no matter what I do, the displayed
fonts don't change.

Are you using non standard fonts? If so, you would have to make sure that
the same fonts are installed in the font directory of the Unix/Linux box.
See the /usr/java/<jre>/lib/fonts folder on the Unix boxes.
Also, make sure that you are using the PluggableLookAnd Feel for xPlatform
work.
Example:
try {
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
}
catch(Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}

Re:font problems

Howdy!
Here are the fonts that are in the subdir you indicated:
fonts.dir
LucidaBrightDemiBold.ttf
LucidaBrightDemiItalic.ttf
LucidaBrightItalic.ttf
LucidaBrightRegular.ttf
LucidaSansDemiBold.ttf
LucidaSansDemiOblique.ttf
LucidaSansOblique.ttf
LucidaSansRegular.ttf
LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique.ttf
LucidaTypewriterBold.ttf
LucidaTypewriterOblique.ttf
LucidaTypewriterRegular.ttf
Here is a code fragment that I used to play around with the font:
Font fMyFont = contentPane.getFont();
if ( bDebugMode ) System.out.println("BEFORE: Font>" +
fMyFont.toString() + "<");
if ( bDebugMode ) System.out.println("BEFORE: Font Family>" +
fMyFont.getFamily() + "<");
contentPane.setFont(new java.awt.Font("Courier", Font.PLAIN, 8));
fMyFont = contentPane.getFont();
if ( bDebugMode ) System.out.println("AFTER: Font>" +
fMyFont.toString() + "<");
if ( bDebugMode ) System.out.println("AFTER: Font Family>" +
fMyFont.getFamily() + "<");
Here is the output from the fragment:
BEFORE: Font>javax.swing.plaf.FontUIResource[family=sansserif,name=MS Sans
Serif,style=plain,size=11]<
BEFORE: Font Family>sansserif<
AFTER: Font
java.awt.Font[family=monospaced,name=Courier,style=plain,size=8]<
AFTER: Font Family>monospaced<
I then substituted the following for the above setFont:
contentPane.setFont(new java.awt.Font("LucidaSansRegular", Font.PLAIN, 8));
But it didn't seem to make any difference when I tried running this on
Linux.
Thanks.
Regards,
Steve.

news:4166a3fb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Howdy All!
>
>I have developed a jbuilder application on a Windows 2000 platform and
it
>works and displays fine.
>
>I created a jar file and copied it to my Linux system, and when I run
the
>application, it works fine, but it doesn't display properly.
>
>The fonts are too large and many of the labels are truncated.
>
>I have tried a variety of things, but no matter what I do, the displayed
>fonts don't change.

Are you using non standard fonts? If so, you would have to make sure that
the same fonts are installed in the font directory of the Unix/Linux box.

See the /usr/java/<jre>/lib/fonts folder on the Unix boxes.

Also, make sure that you are using the PluggableLookAnd Feel for xPlatform
work.

Example:

try {
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
}
catch(Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}