how to obfuscate a jar

2004-04-20 01:59:09 PM
jbuilder16
Hi,
How can a .jar project can be obfuscated?
Regards,

Re:how to obfuscate a jar

With an appropriate obfuscator...for example Zelix KlassMaster, RetroGuard,
and so on...
"k.mann" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
How can a .jar project can be obfuscated?
Regards,

Re:how to obfuscate a jar

I've always used Zelix KlassMaster (ZKM). Just
make the jar; put it somewhere that ZKM can see it;
tell ZKM how and what to obfuscate and optimize and
ZKM will generally produce an even smaller, well
obfuscated jar.
ZKM has a lot of parameters to tweek to get your jar
obfuscated just the way you want it.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Hi,
>How can a .jar project can be obfuscated?
>Regards,

{smallsort}

Re:how to obfuscate a jar

Hi,
In JBuilder I see that RetroGuard is included. I've put a check to obfuscate
compile option
and then compiled my .jar project. But It seems that the .jar file is not
obfuscated.
What am i doing wrong?

Re:how to obfuscate a jar

Are you thinking that the jar file is obfuscated?
It's the class files in the jar that are
obfuscated...
k.mann wrote:
In JBuilder I see that RetroGuard is included. I've put a check to obfuscate
compile option
and then compiled my .jar project. But It seems that the .jar file is not
obfuscated.
What am i doing wrong?

Re:how to obfuscate a jar

Hi,
I'm checking the class files inside the .jar file with a decompiler and
expecting that class names and functions names etc are obfuscated but
it seems not obfuscated. There is an obfuscate option in jbuilder compile
options so i am expecting the .Jar file (class file(s) in your view) is
obfuscated when it's build. Have you tried to obfuscate with the Jbuilder ?

k.mann wrote:
>Hi,
>In JBuilder I see that RetroGuard is included. I've put a check to
obfuscate
>compile option
>and then compiled my .jar project. But It seems that the .jar file is
not
>obfuscated.
>What am i doing wrong?

Re:how to obfuscate a jar

"k.mann" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I'm checking the class files inside the .jar file with a decompiler and
expecting that class names and functions names etc are obfuscated but
it seems not obfuscated. There is an obfuscate option in jbuilder compile
options so i am expecting the .Jar file (class file(s) in your view) is
obfuscated when it's build. Have you tried to obfuscate with the Jbuilder
?

I believe you are mixing up some things here...
1. JB's obfuscate compiler option is very restrited and just obfuscates
private symbols inside of classes and nothing more.
2. Don't mix up the JBX "Configure Obfuscator" settings with general Java
app obfuscating tasks. These settings here for Retroguard/Proguard are *only
meant for MIDlet (i-mode apps) programmings*.
3. If you want to try out Retroguard for your usual non-MIDlet based Java
projects you can try out the JB supplied Build OpenTool example. You can
find this under: "JBuilderX\samples\OpenTools\Build\obfuscator". -
Additionally there is some other maybe better suited here (?) OpenTool on
Borlands CodeCentral Server which makes available and uses
Retroguard/ProGuard for JB projects.
4. For any serious commercial programmings I highly recommend the
ZelixKlassMaster 2nd generation obfuscator, which you can use together with
our JB ZKMWizard OpenTool. See: www.kyrsoft.com or Borland's
CodeCentral JBuilder OpenTools section.

Re:how to obfuscate a jar

I found this process really confusing as well. I worked out a simple method
of using retroguard which might be helpful. It's simple but it works.
1. Make your .jar file in the usual way inside jbuilder.
2. Write a batch file, or script to run Retroguard to convert the .jar to an
obfuscated .jar. The script is a two-liner along the lines of:
set CLASSPATH=C:\JBuilder9\thirdparty\retroguard-v1.1\retroguard.jar
java RetroGuard <unobfuscated-jar-file-name>.jar <jar-file-name>.jar
script.rgs
the file script.rgs can contain one line:
.class * protected
... but you can insert other lines to override the default behavour. See
this page for details:
www.retrologic.com/retroguard-docs.html