Running JDK 1.5 after 2005 install

2005-07-21 09:14:14 AM
jbuilder21
I installed jdk 1.5 from Sun and then JBuilder 2005 a couple of
days later. Now, when I try to run the stuff I created with the
1.5, get:
Registry key '1.4', but '1.5' is required.
Error: could not find java.dll
Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment.
Now, from the postings I gather that I won't be able to run 1.5
with JBuilder (at least not without more experience than what I
have), however I would like to run 1.5 at times.
Any suggestions? Should I spend more time with NetBeans 4.1
instead?
Thanks

Re:Running JDK 1.5 after 2005 install

Paul wrote:
I installed jdk 1.5 from Sun and then JBuilder 2005 a couple of
days later. Now, when I try to run the stuff I created with the
1.5, get:

Registry key '1.4', but '1.5' is required.
Error: could not find java.dll
Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment.

Now, from the postings I gather that I won't be able to run 1.5
with JBuilder (at least not without more experience than what I
have), however I would like to run 1.5 at times.

Any suggestions? Should I spend more time with NetBeans 4.1
instead?
Two fixes, the first long, the other quick but risky if you mess it up:
1. Reinstall JDK 1.5 to restore the correct setting.
2. Run regedit.exe and navigate to the registry key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment".
Change the "CurrentVersion" setting to "1.5".
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Re:Running JDK 1.5 after 2005 install

Hi,
I've also witnessed this peculiarity.
This is a very {*word*193} shortcoming of Windows: the pain in the
ass causing registry. One glitch and everything gets messed up!
This isn't the case with Linux, since there's no registry, but
everything must be done using .profile files. Luckily this is
also possible using Windows by assigning environment variables:
Assuming you want to install Java 2 SDK 1.5 update 4 into
C:\JDK1.5_04, you need two environment variabeles:
SET JAVA_HOME=C:\JDK1.5_04
SET PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\bin:%PATH%
If you need to install a newer version of Java, you only need
to update the JAVA_HOME variable and you should be relieved
from registry blues!
In my opinion this is a Windows issue and this is a good
reason to take a look at Linux (or Mac) at the cost of
Windows.
Tom

{smallsort}