Help installing JBuilder on MAC

2004-04-19 02:08:42 AM
jbuilder13
Hi! I recently downloaded all the necessary files to install JBuilder on
my MAC. I also received the registration file to be copied into my Home
Directory:
"- Home directory: The location of the home directory varies by platform.
Windows 95/98 (single-user): C:\Windows
Windows 95/98 (multi-user): C:\Windows\Profiles\<username>
Windows NT: C:\WINNT\Profiles\<username>
Windows 2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>
UNIX and Linux: The home directory can vary. For example, it could
be /user/<username>or /home/<username>(When you log in,
you should be in your home directory.)"
This is what appears in the e-mail, but I am confused because they never
refer to a MAC Home directory. I'm having trouble finishing my
installation because of this. I need help! I would be very grateful if
you can guide me through the installation process.
THank you,
Ana E Gil

Re:Help installing JBuilder on MAC

Ana Elisa Gil wrote:
First off, MAC is an acronym for something other
than a Macintosh, like the MAC address for your cable modem
or ethernet card.
When you are speaking of things "Macintosh",
it's "Mac", for short.
Hi! I recently downloaded all the necessary files to install JBuilder on
my MAC.
There's only one file, unless you also downloaded
the docs and samples.
I also received the registration file to be copied into my Home
Directory:
"- Home directory: The location of the home directory varies by platform.
[...]
UNIX and Linux: The home directory can vary. For example, it could
be /user/<username>or /home/<username>(When you log in,
you should be in your home directory.)"
This is what appears in the e-mail, but I am confused because they never
refer to a MAC Home directory. I'm having trouble finishing my
installation because of this. [...]
Mac OS X *is* Unix, pure and simple. You should
connect the concept of "Home" in the above description
to the "Home" icon in the Finder. Just open the Finder,
hit that "Home" icon, and there you are, in your Home
folder. Since you may have your Safari download folder
set to something other than your Home folder, navigate
to that, grab the reg<xxx>.txt file and drop it on
the "Home" icon. Restart JBuilder.
It might be a good idea to go out and get yourself
O'Reilly's "Unix for Mac OS X Geeks" and give it
a good read before going to bed tonight. (If you're
slightly insomniac, it'll put you to sleep quickly;
if you get through it all -- and remember it -- you'll
wake up fresh tomorrow morning and ... go out and
cut the lawn, since it's Saturday.)
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives: