JBuilder X's two way deployment descriptor editing.

2003-10-31 04:25:36 AM
jbuilder2
Hi there,
I read there is something new in JBuilder X about two way deployment descriptor editing. Would it help me achive the following question I sent a while ago? Please keep in mind that some people working on my project will not have JBuilder and will directly modify weblogic deployment descriptor shared through CVS.
Also, how can I generate a weblogic deployment descriptor from a borland deployment descriptor file through ant if ant is executed "outside" JBuilder ?
Thanks,
Jaen-Pierre
"Lori M Olson (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Jean-Pierre Belanger wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Our application needs to deploy on WebLogic.
>
>Some people in our project don't use JBuilder for modifying EJB
>Group's deployment descriptor. While they perform EJB modifications,
>they modify the Weblogic configuration files directly. Some other
>people want to use JBuilder to edit the deployment descriptors using
>the user-friendly IDE. Both kinds of developpers use Ant to build the
>enterprise application. Deployment descriptors must be stored inside
>CVS (at least the Weblogic ones).
>
>What's the best way to have the JBuilder users and the others to
>coexists and perform work on the same EJB Groups ?
>
>Thanks, Jean-Pierre

If you are working with Ant and with JBuilder, then you should not be
editing *any* WebLogic descriptors by hand.

JBuilder _always_ generates the application server specific descriptors
from it's own ejb-borland.xml descriptor file.

It's been a couple of years since I did this, and some of the tools have
changed, but you should still be able to deal with the problem. We used
EJBDoclet, and then customized it to generate the ejb-borland.xml.

EJBDoclet has been superceded by XDoclet, which is even more powerful.
It may even have some of the Borland stuff built into it by now. Then
you can use Ant and XDoclet to do most of this work for you.

--

Regards,

Lori Olson (TeamB)

------------

question.

Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:

Re:JBuilder X's two way deployment descriptor editing.

The short answer to the first question is that it doesn't matter how the XML
descriptor is edited, whether through JBuilder or any other editor, because
the XML descriptors are stored externally and not bundled into the current
EJBGRPX file format.
As for the second question re: generating WL descriptors from Borland
descriptors, I don't have an answer. You might want to try JBuilder's
project-to-Ant-file feature and see what it does for that step.
--
Check out our latest white papers at
BladeNET Scores With Borland Enterprise Tools

?

Thanks,
Jaen-Pierre

"Lori M Olson (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Jean-Pierre Belanger wrote:
>>Hi!
>>
>>Our application needs to deploy on WebLogic.
>>
>>Some people in our project don't use JBuilder for modifying EJB
>>Group's deployment descriptor. While they perform EJB modifications,
>>they modify the Weblogic configuration files directly. Some other
>>people want to use JBuilder to edit the deployment descriptors using
>>the user-friendly IDE. Both kinds of developpers use Ant to build the
>>enterprise application. Deployment descriptors must be stored inside
>>CVS (at least the Weblogic ones).
>>
>>What's the best way to have the JBuilder users and the others to
>>coexists and perform work on the same EJB Groups ?
>>
>>Thanks, Jean-Pierre
>
>If you are working with Ant and with JBuilder, then you should not be
>editing *any* WebLogic descriptors by hand.
>
>JBuilder _always_ generates the application server specific descriptors
>from it's own ejb-borland.xml descriptor file.
>
>It's been a couple of years since I did this, and some of the tools have
>changed, but you should still be able to deal with the problem. We used
>EJBDoclet, and then customized it to generate the ejb-borland.xml.
>
>EJBDoclet has been superceded by XDoclet, which is even more powerful.
>It may even have some of the Borland stuff built into it by now. Then
>you can use Ant and XDoclet to do most of this work for you.
>
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Lori Olson (TeamB)
>
>------------
>
>Save yourself, and everyone else, some time and search the
>newsgroups and the FAQ-O-Matic before posting your next
>question.
>
>Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
>www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
>Other Newsgroup Searches:
>www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
>Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:
>www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Re:JBuilder X's two way deployment descriptor editing.

JB9 has an option in the EJB project file to also save the xml in a
seperate file.

{smallsort}