buttonGroup

2004-11-23 12:56:09 AM
jbuilder24
Hello,
Im new to Jbuilder and i was wondering why when I select the buttonGroup
component it does not show in my design, or in the final product.
Thanks
Paul

Re:buttonGroup

Paul Iddon wrote:
Hello,

Im new to Jbuilder and i was wondering why when I select the buttonGroup
component it does not show in my design, or in the final product.

Thanks

Paul

A button group is just a conceptual object. It is not a visual
component, per se. It is used to add *behavior* to a set of (usually)
radio buttons, such that only one button can be "selected" at a time.
If you want to visually group your buttons, you need to create a panel
and add those buttons to the panel. And maybe add a nice beveled,
titled border to the panel.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:buttonGroup

Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:
Paul Iddon wrote:

>Im new to Jbuilder and i was wondering why when I select the buttonGroup
>component it does not show in my design, or in the final product.

A button group is just a conceptual object. It is not a visual
component, per se. It is used to add *behavior* to a set of (usually)
radio buttons, such that only one button can be "selected" at a time.

If you want to visually group your buttons, you need to create a panel
and add those buttons to the panel. And maybe add a nice beveled,
titled border to the panel.
Just had an idea after all these years of
manually adding buttons to a button group:
Create a descendent of JPanel, override the
"addImpl(...)" method, calling super.addImpl(...),
and then adding the component, if an instanceof
JButton, to a ButtonGroup member. Add a getButtonGroup()
method to the special panel.
There are other implementation details, but
that might be a good start.
This way, after adding this component to the
Palette, you could do what you want to do
in the Designer.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

{smallsort}

Re:buttonGroup

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:

Just had an idea after all these years of
manually adding buttons to a button group:

Create a descendent of JPanel, override the
"addImpl(...)" method, calling super.addImpl(...),
and then adding the component, if an instanceof
JButton, to a ButtonGroup member. Add a getButtonGroup()
method to the special panel.

There are other implementation details, but
that might be a good start.

This way, after adding this component to the
Palette, you could do what you want to do
in the Designer.

LOL. I was just explaining this problem to someone who isn't a
programmer, and the first question was something like, ... "So why
doesn't someone write a panel that acts like a button group...?"
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:
LOL. I was just explaining this problem to someone who isn't a
programmer, and the first question was something like, ... "So why
doesn't someone write a panel that acts like a button group...?"
That's funny, but I don't know what to think since
it was a non-programmer. Was our idea just wacky,
or was his outsider's perspective valuable in seeing
a solution which we insiders just don't immediately
see because we're too close to it? (I had the sensation
of having a set of blinders fall from my thinking when
the idea struck me. Sort of, "how come I hadn't
thought of it earlier?")
Oh well.
--

On 11/22/2004 at 4:49:02 PM, Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:
"So why doesn't someone write a panel that acts like a button group...?"
I did that a few years back.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

Re:buttonGroup

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:
>LOL. I was just explaining this problem to someone who isn't a
>programmer, and the first question was something like, ... "So why
>doesn't someone write a panel that acts like a button group...?"

That's funny, but I don't know what to think since
it was a non-programmer. Was our idea just wacky,
or was his outsider's perspective valuable in seeing
a solution which we insiders just don't immediately
see because we're too close to it? (I had the sensation
of having a set of blinders fall from my thinking when
the idea struck me. Sort of, "how come I hadn't
thought of it earlier?")
Beware of the dark side, me young apprentice. You've just grasped the basic
concepts of the magic that is OO. Pretty soon you will have trancended mere
mortal programming and will have to be elevated to that lofty realm they
call management.
Watch out for the pitfalls of over-enthusiastic decomposition. Pretty soon
you are adrift in a morass of intertwined little classlets and
overreferenced, underutilized interdependant non-deterministic objectless
subclasses which serve merely to deference unsubstatiated widgets that some
idiot left in the sandbox.
regards,
Dar7yl

Re:buttonGroup

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:

That's funny, but I don't know what to think since it was a
non-programmer. Was our idea just wacky, or was his outsider's
perspective valuable in seeing a solution which we insiders just
don't immediately see because we're too close to it? (I had the
sensation of having a set of blinders fall from my thinking when the
idea struck me. Sort of, "how come I hadn't thought of it earlier?")

Oh well.

I know why it never occurred to me. I learned about button groups from
the first edition Core Java book in 1996. It was not presented from a
"WYSIWYG" designer point of view. I think that if my first introduction
to button groups was in the designer, I would have come up with that
idea a whole lot sooner.
Interesting how context changes things.
--
Regards,