More Applet Difficulties with Internet Explorer

2003-08-06 07:52:03 PM
jbuilder5
I am trying to get an AWT-only applet to run in Internet Explorer. I have configured JBuilder (project properties/build) to target VMs of all Java SDK vintages. This got me past an earlier issue. Now when I try to load the applet into Internet Explorer, the console gives me the following error message:
Error Loading Class : com.borland.jbcl.layout.XYLayout.
I am using JBuilder's XY layout extensively. My guess is that the associated library is built to run on newer Java SDK VM versions than Internet Explorer can handle. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

Re:More Applet Difficulties with Internet Explorer

Hi Scott,
I don't know whether Borland's layout classes are fully compatible with the
older default VM of ie5, but even if they are, you will have to include them
in a jar file that is included in the applet's archive. I suspect this is
causing your problem. Try keeping with the standard Sun layout managers,
this will help keep down the size of the jar file for users of your applet.
A quick fix would be to change all you XYLayout stuff to null layout.
However, I tried using XYLayout with ie6 and got a slightly different error
message to you if I didn't include the JBCL library (required classes and
known resources if you have JBuilder archive builder) in the archive. Once I
included those classes in my jar file, everything ran OK, so I think it
should work for you.
Arth
"Scott" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

I am trying to get an AWT-only applet to run in Internet Explorer. I have
configured JBuilder (project properties/build) to target VMs of all Java SDK
vintages. This got me past an earlier issue. Now when I try to load the
applet into Internet Explorer, the console gives me the following error
message:

Error Loading Class : com.borland.jbcl.layout.XYLayout.

I am using JBuilder's XY layout extensively. My guess is that the
associated library is built to run on newer Java SDK VM versions than
Internet Explorer can handle. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Re:More Applet Difficulties with Internet Explorer

They're quite compatible; you just need to deploy them (and, based on
the error message, the classes just aren't deployed). You're spot on
that you should use the regular layout managers from Sun and not the
co-ordinate based ones, though.
-Rich

news:3f30ebe3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I am trying to get an AWT-only applet to run in Internet Explorer. I have

configured JBuilder (project properties/build) to target VMs of all Java SDK
vintages. This got me past an earlier issue. Now when I try to load the
applet into Internet Explorer, the console gives me the following error
message:

>Error Loading Class : com.borland.jbcl.layout.XYLayout.
>
>I am using JBuilder's XY layout extensively. My guess is that the

associated library is built to run on newer Java SDK VM versions than
Internet Explorer can handle. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,
>
>Scott

{smallsort}

Re:More Applet Difficulties with Internet Explorer

Scott:
Target JDK 1.1.4 instead of "all" and make sure that the classes are
deployed in your jar. If that doesn't do it, post the full trace of the
error message you get.
-Rich

"Scott" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Error Loading Class : com.borland.jbcl.layout.XYLayout.
You need to check "Include dependencies" for JBCL in the Archive
Builder.