Web run not working in external browser

2005-03-12 04:41:33 PM
jbuilder7
I am using JBuilder6 (6.0.438.0) and can use the internal browser fine. I want to put a file upload on my JSPs (for photos), but the internal browser doesn't want to show the "Browse" button. No problem I think, I'll just view things in an external browser. I have set it up to copy the in-the-box Tomcat server's URL to the clipboard (the copy works fine), but when I tell the external browser (IE 6.0.2900.somestuff in this case) to go the the localhost URL from JBuilder, it just times out and goes nowhere. Any ideas for me to try? Thanks in advance.

Re:Web run not working in external browser

Larry Mello wrote:
I am using JBuilder6 (6.0.438.0) and can use the internal browser
fine. I want to put a file upload on my JSPs (for photos), but the
internal browser doesn't want to show the "Browse" button. No
problem I think, I'll just view things in an external browser. I
have set it up to copy the in-the-box Tomcat server's URL to the
clipboard (the copy works fine), but when I tell the external
browser (IE 6.0.2900.somestuff in this case) to go the the
localhost URL from JBuilder, it just times out and goes nowhere.
Any ideas for me to try? Thanks in advance.
Can you run the simplest of Web apps -- e.g., consisting of
a fresh project, a fresh Web Module, and just a JSP which the
the Web Module Wizard offers to create for you, along with
the runtime config -- in JBuilder, and then while Tomcat
is *still* running in JBuilder, paste the URL into IE and
see the page?
If not, consider adding "127.0.0.1 localhost"
to the "hosts" file in c:/Windows/drivers/etc.
(Depending on the version of Windows, the "Windows"
directory might be "WINNT".)
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

"Paul Furbacher [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Larry Mello wrote:

>I am using JBuilder6 (6.0.438.0) and can use the internal browser
>fine. I want to put a file upload on my JSPs (for photos), but the
>internal browser doesn't want to show the "Browse" button. No
>problem I think, I'll just view things in an external browser. I
>have set it up to copy the in-the-box Tomcat server's URL to the
>clipboard (the copy works fine), but when I tell the external
>browser (IE 6.0.2900.somestuff in this case) to go the the
>localhost URL from JBuilder, it just times out and goes nowhere.
>Any ideas for me to try? Thanks in advance.

Can you run the simplest of Web apps -- e.g., consisting of
a fresh project, a fresh Web Module, and just a JSP which the
the Web Module Wizard offers to create for you, along with
the runtime config -- in JBuilder, and then while Tomcat
is *still* running in JBuilder, paste the URL into IE and
see the page?

If not, consider adding "127.0.0.1 localhost"
to the "hosts" file in c:/Windows/drivers/etc.
(Depending on the version of Windows, the "Windows"
directory might be "WINNT".)

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?

Thank you.
OK, some progress. I did as you suggested, created a brand new
project, a new web application and one JSP from the wizard. The
internal browser works fine, but external still has no luck.
However, I substituted '127.0.0.1' for 'localhost' in the URL
and the external browser worked fine. What's weird is that my
hosts file already has an entry for 127.0.0.1 localhost. I am
not sure what the problem is, but I know now the external
browser works just fine. Now, I just need to know why it is
having a hard time turning the IP address 127.0.0.1 into
localhost.

{smallsort}

Larry Mello wrote:
OK, some progress. I did as you suggested, created a brand new
project, a new web application and one JSP from the wizard. The
internal browser works fine, but external still has no luck.
However, I substituted '127.0.0.1' for 'localhost' in the URL
and the external browser worked fine. What's weird is that my
hosts file already has an entry for 127.0.0.1 localhost. I am
not sure what the problem is, but I know now the external
browser works just fine. Now, I just need to know why it is
having a hard time turning the IP address 127.0.0.1 into
localhost.
What happens when you "ping localhost" from a command line? What does
it resolve to?
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Larry Mello wrote:

>OK, some progress. I did as you suggested, created a brand new
>project, a new web application and one JSP from the wizard. The
>internal browser works fine, but external still has no luck.
>However, I substituted '127.0.0.1' for 'localhost' in the URL
>and the external browser worked fine. What's weird is that my
>hosts file already has an entry for 127.0.0.1 localhost. I am
>not sure what the problem is, but I know now the external
>browser works just fine. Now, I just need to know why it is
>having a hard time turning the IP address 127.0.0.1 into
>localhost.

What happens when you "ping localhost" from a command line? What does
it resolve to?

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.
www.datadevelopment.com/

NEW WHITEPAPERS
Securing Borland Enterprise Server

info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html
"ping localhost" works fine as does "tracert localhost". "ping
localhost" resolves to my computer name.
Larry