The good and Bad Technologies.

2005-06-04 02:27:21 AM
jbuilder12
Hi,
I want o earn Java mainly to Produce ERP Software,
What Technologies should I Study and What are 'Garbage' or not a priority Right Now for me.
Struts,Spring,Hibernate.........
I´m saying that because American Books are really expensive here in Brazil and of course I don´t want to study technologies for months and finally realize that they´re bad or at least that they´re not for me.
Marcello

Re:The good and Bad Technologies.

"Marcello Dias" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

I want o earn Java mainly to Produce ERP Software,
What Technologies should I Study and What are 'Garbage' or not a priority
Right Now for me.

That should be dictated by the scope, size, and requirements of your
software. I do not mean to sound facetious, but using a framework or tools,
just because they are popular, is why so many projects fail.
Personally, I would suggest that you learn Java basics first, before trying
to adopt a suitable framework(s).
Struts,Spring,Hibernate.........

All of these are good and useful, but see paragraph response above. No one
can give you a good answer until they know the project specs.
I´m saying that because American Books are really expensive here in Brazil
and of course I don´t want to study technologies for months and finally
realize that they´re bad or at least that they´re not for me.

Look on the Web. Most have excellent tutorials, including Sun's javasoft
site.
Best of luck to you.

Re:The good and Bad Technologies.

Hi,
Thank you again.
I´m 'wasting' almost a week reading reading everything I can in Magazines and in the Net.Specially stories of success and fail.
Regards,
Marcello

news:42a0a109$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Hi,
>
>I want o earn Java mainly to Produce ERP Software,
>What Technologies should I Study and What are 'Garbage' or not a priority
Right Now for me.

That should be dictated by the scope, size, and requirements of your
software. I do not mean to sound facetious, but using a framework or tools,
just because they are popular, is why so many projects fail.

Personally, I would suggest that you learn Java basics first, before trying
to adopt a suitable framework(s).

>Struts,Spring,Hibernate.........

All of these are good and useful, but see paragraph response above. No one
can give you a good answer until they know the project specs.

>I´m saying that because American Books are really expensive here in Brazil
and of course I don´t want to study technologies for months and finally
realize that they´re bad or at least that they´re not for me.

Look on the Web. Most have excellent tutorials, including Sun's javasoft
site.

Best of luck to you.

{smallsort}

Re:The good and Bad Technologies.

I want o earn Java mainly to Produce ERP Software,
What Technologies should I Study and What are 'Garbage' or not a priority
Right Now for me.

Struts,Spring,Hibernate.........
You need good experience and knowledge of databases and their design. ERA
diagrams and tools to do it also.
You alo need to have some idea about basic bussines processes, and how it
works. IDEF0 diagrams and tools for it.
UML diagrams and tools.
As for Java, it is only front end for database, which changes alot, and
average lifecycle is 5 years.
Hibernate is must. New data access in upcoming enterprose Java, this summer,
is going to be based on Hibernate.
Although, old fashioned people, and ones with legacy software, needs to know
J2EE entity and session beans.
For building UI, you better find generator. Manually doing Swing or SWT is
very painfull.

"Buch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
,Spring,Hibernate.........

You need good experience and knowledge of databases and their design. ERA
diagrams and tools to do it also.
You alo need to have some idea about basic bussines processes, and how it
works. IDEF0 diagrams and tools for it.
That´s what I Do right now.
UML diagrams and tools.
As for Java, it is only front end for database, which changes alot, and
average lifecycle is 5 years.
Not in Brazil,This week I saw a company wich still uses Clipper.

Hibernate is must. New data access in upcoming enterprose Java, this summer,
is going to be based on Hibernate.
Although, old fashioned people, and ones with legacy software, needs to know
J2EE entity and session beans.
Is Hibernate fast?
Marcello

Re:The good and Bad Technologies.

"Marcello" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

"Buch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
,Spring,Hibernate.........
Is Hibernate fast?
That depends upon what you are comparing it to. In relation to EJBs (Entity
CMP or BMP), definitely YES.
Compared to JDBC accessing Stored Procs, not as fast :)
Any auto generated ORM solution cannot be as fast as direct JDBC access
where the queries are optimized for that particular database. ORMs attempt
to build the best queries they can, but of course, there is some
genericities in any ORM (including CMP). However, the advantage is faster
development, and it isolates you from having to build each query string and
a data mapping in Object form to that database.
Unless you are doing inserts, updates, and/or deletes, you will invariably
need ORM mappings. Even when doing inserts and updates, it is much easier to
pass an object for params than it is an ArrayList, HashMap, etc. to the data
layer which will ultimately be responsible for the updates.
Although I am not currently using Hibernate (we are creating our own ORM to
run Stored Procs on Oracle from Java and NET), the Hibernate ORM is
excellent. I have used it before and found performance more than acceptable.