Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

2005-05-22 08:51:16 AM
jbuilder21
Dear People,
I recently downloaded the jbuilder Foundation. Then I found out that it has Java 2 SDK 1.4 and I would like to use the new
Java 2 JDK 1.5 because of the new for(Integer i : list){}
to iterate over the elements of a collection and
also the simple input mechanism of the Scanner class
Scanner myScanner = Scanner.create(System.in);
int n = myScanner.nextInt();
( it doesn't throw exceptions that the client code must catch
so no try catch blocks are needed ! )
Anyway, if I download the J2SE SDK 1.5 will the jbuilder Foundation automatically use the newest version on my
hard drive ? And when I download it, where should I
install the SDK 1.5 on my hard drive ?
God bless you and thank you
Stan

Re:Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

On 5/21/2005 at 8:51:16 PM, Stan Dominski wrote:
if I download the J2SE SDK 1.5 will the jbuilder Foundation
automatically use the newest version on my hard drive ?
No. You need to configure it (Tools | Configure | JDKs...).
And when I download it, where should I install the SDK 1.5 on my
hard drive ?
Anywhere.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

Re:Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

>>You need to configure it (Tools | Configure | JDKs...).
Dear John,
I went to Project
Default Project Properties
Opened Build->Java
I changed the Language features to
Java 2 SDK v5.0 generics enabled
I changed the Target VM : to Java 2 SDK v5.0 and later
I openned the paths menu item and selected the
Required Libraries tab
selected ADD, New
I set the Name to rt
I set the Location to User Home
I opened the Tools menu and selected Configure ->JDKs
I clicked the "class" tab
I clicked "ADD"
A vertical directory structure appeared.
I selected:
C:/Documents and Settings/Gateway User/.jbuilder2005/re.library
when I clicked "OK" this path jumped up to the top of my screen
and at the bottom of my screen the blicnking cursor waited
for me to type in a name. I didn't know what to do, so I typed
in nothing and hit "OK"
Then I thought that maybe I needed to type in a name, so I went
back and did the same sequence and this time when the blinking cursor waited for me to type in a name I typed in Java 1.5
Then I got a popup that said :
"Java 1.5 does not exist . Accept anyway ?
I clicked on "yes"
Now I see under the class tab at the bottom of the list
C:/Documents and Settings/Gateway User/.jbuilder2005/rt.library
C:/Documents and Settings/Gateway User/.jbuilder2005/rt.library/
Java 1.5
Now when I try to run a simple applet I get error messages that say:
error reading C:\Documents and Settings\Gateway User\.jbuilder2005\rt.library; java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
error reading C:\Documents and Settings\Gateway User\.jbuilder2005\rt.library; java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
"MakeBox.java": package objectdraw does not exist at line 2, column 1
"MakeBox.java": cannot find symbol; symbol: class WindowController at line 4, column 30
"MakeBox.java": cannot find symbol; symbol : class Location, location: class MakeBox at line 13, column 30
"MakeBox.java": cannot find symbol; symbol : variable Controller, location: class MakeBox at line 15, column 9
"MakeBox.java": cannot find symbol; symbol : class FilledRect, location: class MakeBox at line 16, column 13
"MakeBox.java": cannot find symbol; symbol : variable canvas, location: class MakeBox at line 16, column 37
Here is the applet coding:
import objectdraw.*;
4 public class MakeBox extends WindowController
{
6 public void begin()
{
}
13 public void onMousePress(Location point)
{
15 Controller.getVersion();
16 new FilledRect(30,150,30,20,canvas);
}
}
God bless you and thank you.
Stan
Stan Dominski wrote:

>if I download the J2SE SDK 1.5 will the jbuilder Foundation
>automatically use the newest version on my hard drive ?

No. You need to configure it (Tools | Configure | JDKs...).

>And when I download it, where should I install the SDK 1.5 on my
>hard drive ?

Anywhere.

--

On 5/27/2005 at 11:27:46 AM, Stan Dominski wrote:
>>>You need to configure it (Tools | Configure | JDKs...).
I openned the paths menu item and selected the
Required Libraries tab
selected ADD, New
I set the Name to rt
I set the Location to User Home
I do not understand what you are trying to do here. Is there a
third-party library you are trying to configure?
I opened the Tools menu and selected Configure ->JDKs

I clicked the "class" tab
I clicked "ADD"

A vertical directory structure appeared.
I selected:
C:/Documents and Settings/Gateway User/.jbuilder2005/re.library
This sounds like you changed the configuration for one of your existing
JDKs - more than likely the JBuilder host JDK. You probably hosed it, so
you should undo whatever you did to it. If you are not absolutely sure
how you can do that, you probably ought to un-install JBuilder, cleaning
out the .jbuilder2005 directory, and then re-install it.
In order to install a new JDK, you should have pressed the "New..." button
in the lower left corner of that dialog. There is also a "Help" button in
the lower right corner. Had you selected that, it would have shown you
documentation on what these buttons do.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

I apologize; I forgot to tell you that in order to do applets
I need to add the objectdraw library found at:
applecore.cs.williams.edu/~cs134/eof/library/
I only followed instructions for:
"Part 1: Setting up JBuilder to use Java 1.5"
I am not trying to install a new JDK only the upgrade
to 1.5 I am TOTALLY CONFUSED. But I am trying to do 2 things:
add the objectdraw library, and upgrade
Thank you for a little bit more guidance
God bless you
Stan

On 5/27/2005 at 11:29:53 PM, Stan Dominski wrote:
I apologize; I forgot to tell you that in order to do applets
I need to add the objectdraw library found at:
applecore.cs.williams.edu/~cs134/eof/library/
I see. And the name you chose for the "objectdraw" library was "rt"?
Interesting choice.
I only followed instructions for:
"Part 1: Setting up JBuilder to use Java 1.5"
I have no idea what document you are referring to here.
I am not trying to install a new JDK only the upgrade to 1.5
You cannot *upgrade* a JDK. You can install a new one.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

>>I have no idea what document you are referring to here.
I found the "Setting up JBuilder to use Java 1.5" at:
www.cs.utsa.edu/~javalab/cs1723/recitations/recitation
The page is listed below :
Part I: Setting up JBuilder to use Java 1.5
Verify that JBuilder is using Java 1.5. If not, follow these steps to set it up.
Open JBuilder 2005.
Open the Project menu and select the Default Project Properties option.
Open the Build ->Java menu item:
Change the Language features: to Java 2 SDK, v5.0(generics enabled).
Change the Target VM: to Java 2 SDK, v5.0 and later.
Open the Paths menu item and select the Required Libraries tab.
Select Add and then New.
Set the Name to rt.
Set the Location to User Home.
Select the Add button to the library path for rt.jar. If Java 1.5 is installed in the default location this will be
C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/rt.jar.
Click the OK buttons all the way back to close all of the menus.
At this point all of the menus should be closed. If not, click the OK buttons to close them.
Open the Tools menu and select Configure ->JDKs.
Select New.
Set the Existing JDK homepath: to the directory where Java 1.5 is installed on your machine. The usual place is
C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.5.0.
If the Name for this JDK is not automatically filled in, enter Java 1.5.
Click OK to close the new menu.
Now on the Configure JDKs menu click on the name of the JDK 1.5 that you just set. The JDK Settings should now reflect the new JDK.
Click OK to close the menu.
At this point all future projects should by default be created under Java 1.5.
That is what I thought, but when I went to SunMicrosystems
Java 2 sdk 1.5 download page at:
https://jsecom15d.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet/LegalPage:~:com.sun.sunit.sdlc.content.LegalWebPageInfo;jsessionid=27073ED8BAF9CD428A90E67D945EFCCD;jsessionid=27073ED8BAF9CD428A90E67D945EFCCD
it said " J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 3"
and it only told a few minutes to download.
The full download told 3-5 hours the last time.
>>>I see. And the name you chose for the "objectdraw" library was "rt"?
Listed below is what I did to try to get the objectdraw library usable in the Foundation IDE:
Double click on “New Project?in Foundation
You should see “Project Wizard step 1 of 3?
At “name? type in last_Name_first_name_period_classname (all lower case)
Click on “Next?
You should see “Project Wizard step 2 of 3?
Click on “Required Library?
Click on the “ADD?button
You should now see a tree directory structure
Under “User Home?
Highlight “objectdraw?
“OK?
click “Next?
You should see “Project Wizard step 3 of 3?
click “Finish?
Now do File | New |
Under the “Web? tab click on “Applet?, “OK?
You should now see at the top “Applet Wizard step 1 of 4?
You should see your package name already typed in
At “Class Name?type in your classname (no spaces) (class name always starts with a capital)
Put a check next to “can run standalone?
Click “Next?
it should say at the top”Applet Wizard step 2 of 4?
click “next?
it should say at the top”Applet Wizard step 3 of 4?
“generate HTML page?should be checked
next to “Title?type in the class name (spaces in between words is acceptable here )
next to “Name?type in the name of the class (no spaces between words here)
put a value of ?00?for Width and Height if it is not already there
click “Next?
it should say at the top?Applet Wizard step 4 of 4?click “Finish?
To ensure that the ObjectDraw library is available, go to
"Project | Project Properties" and check the
"Required Libraries" tab in "Paths".
Then, if it is there,
click on the "Preview" tab and inspect the list of JAR files
to ensure that the JAR file itself is listed.
I need some guidance as to what to do next.
God bless you and thank you
Stan

On 5/29/2005 at 12:04:21 AM, Stan Dominski wrote:
I found the "Setting up JBuilder to use Java 1.5" at:
www.cs.utsa.edu/~javalab/cs1723/recitations/recitation
404 - Object not found.
The page is listed below :
[snip]
Was it really formatted that poorly? That is very difficult to read.
it said " J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 3"
and it only told a few minutes to download.
The full download told 3-5 hours the last time.
You probably downloaded the "online" installation package, which is an
installer program that will download the required files when you run it.
"Update" does not mean "upgrade". It is a complete installation kit which
you should install it in a new directory.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

Dear John,
Thank you very much for your assistance. I appreciate it.
I especially appreciate the way you always help with
politeness, even when my ignorance is apparent Thank you !
You say:
>Was it really formatted that poorly? That is very difficult to read.
I just copied the web page as it was. If there is a particular
format that I should use when posting please tell me.
You say:
>>You probably downloaded the "online" installation package,
which is an installer program that will download the required
files when you run it.
You are right. I didn't understand what was ment by the
word "online" installation.
You say:
>>"Update" does not mean "upgrade". It is a complete
installation kit which you should install it in a new
directory.
When I typed " Java 2 SDK 15. upgrade into the Google search
engine I got:
JAVA SOFTWARE MANUAL DOWNLOAD page
www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
I think I will be spending time doing the correct download
this morning.
God bless you and Thank you :)
Stan

Stan Dominski wrote:
Part I: Setting up JBuilder to use Java 1.5

Verify that JBuilder is using Java 1.5. If not, follow these steps to
set it up.
The steps you copied from that web page are patently wrong and were
quite obviously written by someone who has absolutely no understanding
of the JBuilder environment. There is more than enough documentation
within JBuilder itself to explain to you how to configure a JDK; please
read it. (Hint: Tools | Configure | JDKs)
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Re:Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

Dear John,
I spoke too soon...
"I think I will be spending time doing the correct download"
When I went to:
www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp
and clicked on "download"
I received a popup that said
" Your current security settings prohibits running ActiveX
conrols on this page."
I have Norton Antivirus and SpySweeper, but I don't know what
to do to reactivate ActiveX ( and I'm not sure that would be
a good idea anyway.)
Your advice is greatly appreciated.
God bless you and thank you.
Stan

Stan Dominski wrote:

>>I found the "Setting up JBuilder to use Java 1.5" at:
>>www.cs.utsa.edu/~javalab/cs1723/recitations/recitation
>
>404 - Object not found.
>
>>The page is listed below :
>[snip]
>
>Was it really formatted that poorly? That is very difficult to read.
>
>>it said " J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 3"
>>and it only told a few minutes to download.
>>The full download told 3-5 hours the last time.
>
>You probably downloaded the "online" installation package, which is an
>installer program that will download the required files when you run it.
>
>"Update" does not mean "upgrade". It is a complete installation kit which
>you should install it in a new directory.
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>John McGrath [TeamB]

>Before sending me e-mail, please read:
>www.JPMcGrath.net/newsgroups/e-mail.html

Re:Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

Stan Dominski wrote:
Dear John,
I spoke too soon...
"I think I will be spending time doing the correct download"

When I went to:
www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

and clicked on "download"
I received a popup that said
" Your current security settings prohibits running ActiveX
conrols on this page."

I have Norton Antivirus and SpySweeper, but I don't know what
to do to reactivate ActiveX ( and I'm not sure that would be
a good idea anyway.)

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
God bless you and thank you.

Stan

Stan,
You are a Java developer, not a Java user. You need to learn the
difference between the Java runtime (JRE) that people use to run Java
applications, and the Java development kit (JDK) that developers use to
develop Java applications.
You do NOT go to www.java.com for your downloads.
Go to java.sun.com for Developer downloads.
Specifically, you need to go to:
java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
DO NOT download the Netbeans bundle. You want the JDK 5.0 Update 3 ONLY
link.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

On 5/30/2005 at 1:12:22 PM, Stan Dominski wrote:
I received a popup that said
" Your current security settings prohibits running ActiveX
conrols on this page."
That sounds like your web browser speaking. If you cannot figure out how
to configure it, try posting to an appropriate newsgroup for the browser.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

Dear Lori,
Thank you for accurately telling me what I need to do.
And thank you for defining the difference between JRE
and JDK. I guess I became oblivious to the acronyms.
You seem to know exactly what my brain is missing,
(besides a complete brain transplant :)
I am on my way to the correct download page now.
God bless you and thank you.
Stan
Stan Dominski wrote:
>Dear John,
>I spoke too soon...
>"I think I will be spending time doing the correct download"
>
>When I went to:
>www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp
>
>and clicked on "download"
>I received a popup that said
>" Your current security settings prohibits running ActiveX
>conrols on this page."
>
>I have Norton Antivirus and SpySweeper, but I don't know what
>to do to reactivate ActiveX ( and I'm not sure that would be
>a good idea anyway.)
>
>Your advice is greatly appreciated.
>God bless you and thank you.
>
>Stan

Stan,

You are a Java developer, not a Java user. You need to learn the
difference between the Java runtime (JRE) that people use to run Java
applications, and the Java development kit (JDK) that developers use to
develop Java applications.

You do NOT go to www.java.com for your downloads.

Go to java.sun.com for Developer downloads.

Specifically, you need to go to:

java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

DO NOT download the Netbeans bundle. You want the JDK 5.0 Update 3 ONLY
link.

--

Regards,

Lori Olson [TeamB]

------------

question.

Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:

Re:Can jbuilder Foundation use SDK 1.5 ?

Dear People,
I downloaded the jdk-1_5_0_03-windows-i586-p.exe
when I double clicked on the icon to install it.
The error message said:
"You already have the J2SE Development Kit 5.0 Update 3
installed"
Gulp . I am getting deeper into the mire .
Yes I mistakenly downloaded the 2 minute update this morning
But then I correctly downloaded the 3 1/2 hour
jdk-1_5_0_03-windows-i586-p.exe
When I used the search function to find J2SE to delete the
short update nothing came up.
God bless you and thank you in advance
Stan