Re: Mustang jdk1.6 build 61 on jbuilder 2005

2005-12-02 06:51:40 AM
jbuilder15
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:04:52 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:
The old time programmers on this list know that there are ways to keep
up with changing specs. But that requires the will to do so and Borland
doesn't seem interested. In the mean time, about the best we will get
are the Borland appologists asking us why we don't see it their way...
Speaking as one of those "old time programmers" I would be inclined to
agree. However, where do you put the development dollars? In tools that
have support for technologies like EJB, Web, XML and SOA's or in constantly
updating the tool to make sure the latest and greatest beta of the JDK is
supported? I'm sure if you were the VP in charge of Java tools development
you would have different priorities from the current management.
Bottom line - it's technically possible and financially prohibitive to do
what you're suggesting. No apologies here. It's just simple facts and
dollars.
--
David Orriss Jr. [TeamB]
www.codethought.com

Re:Re: Mustang jdk1.6 build 61 on jbuilder 2005

David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB] wrote:
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:04:52 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:

>The old time programmers on this list know that there are ways to keep
>up with changing specs. But that requires the will to do so and Borland
>doesn't seem interested. In the mean time, about the best we will get
>are the Borland appologists asking us why we don't see it their way...

Speaking as one of those "old time programmers" I would be inclined to
agree. However, where do you put the development dollars? In tools that
have support for technologies like EJB, Web, XML and SOA's or in constantly
updating the tool to make sure the latest and greatest beta of the JDK is
supported? I'm sure if you were the VP in charge of Java tools development
you would have different priorities from the current management.

Bottom line - it's technically possible and financially prohibitive to do
what you're suggesting. No apologies here. It's just simple facts and
dollars.

Yup! All about the bottom line. Or you could hire me as VP of
Development :-)

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:06:56 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:
Yup! All about the bottom line. Or you could hire me as VP of
Development :-)
Hey man.. if only I was cutting the checks.. ;)
--
[...]

Over the last couple of days since I first posted this I have
started forming the opinion that JBuilder might *not* be the
product for me anymore. I am not a multi-national who has to
hot-swap WARs, EARs, JSPs, etc. I am part of a small company
working on code-centric desktop java applications. Maybe
I'm not in Jbuilder's target market anymore?
This heated debate has really surprised me; I only expected a
couple of responses that said either "yes we support the beta,
here's how..." or "no, not interested". To add my two cents
worth, since my original post I have learned that JBuilder is
eventually going to be a tool on top of the Eclipse platform,
so that makes things even more confusing.
I personally think that it's a cop out to not support the
Mustang beta. Whatever the beta policy was in the past, Mustang
is publicly available and has had over 60 beta builds. I would
say that most of the bugs are shaken out by now.
At the very least, JBuilder should allow you to turn off some
aspects of ErrorInsight, etc, that cause all the design time
problems.
Raj.

Re:Re: Mustang jdk1.6 build 61 on jbuilder 2005

Raj,
I sense a disturbance in the Force -- there is a definite tug on the
middle of my nerd soul to look at Eclipse. I'm even smaller than you.
I'm an independent with micro-bucks. I wait for Foundation to come
around. But Foundation -- instead of being the first thing out the gate
-- is always the last. AND always way late on the Java release curve.
I mean, I'm waiting for Java 5 and Java 6 is already strong beta!
What's up with that (to coin a phrase)?