JBuilder 2006: auto generating import statements/getting help on needed import statements

2006-12-21 11:24:10 PM
jbuilder18
I am evaluating JBuilder 2006 and I am rather new to Java, so I may be
missing the obvious. Any help appreciated.
I wish for an easy way to get help from within JBuilder 2006 when I
need to write an import statement for a class. Say that I declare an
instance of JPanel and that I do not already have a line saying:
import javax.swing.JPanel;
If I place the caret on the JPanel class name in my declaration and
press F1, all I get is some generic help on the IDE, not what I
really need (which is information on the methods and members of
JPanel, and on which package I must import). Only after I add the
appropriate import statement I can access the context help on JPanel.
I suspect that this is because, in theory, there may be other classes
called JPanel somewhere in more than one package, but at least I would
like to have some quick help on which package(s) within the Java path
contain a JPanel class definition, instead of having to leaf through
the Java API reference on my desk.

Re:JBuilder 2006: auto generating import statements/getting help on needed import statements

ErrorInsight has options "Find with ClassInsight" and "Suggest Class
Reference".
Add a line to one of your methods such as
new JPanel();
And you will see an icon in the left gutter of the Editor. Either click on
it or do Alt+Enter and choose either menu option which will help you add the
needed import.
You can always use Search | Find Classes to just find/open any class.
"Deedee Tee" <abuse@localhost>wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Probably I missed it
before because there can be different incons in the gutter, and
clicking on the exclamation mark icon does nothing. The exclamation
mark + key icon, as you suggested, brings up ErrorInsight.
I am having second thoughts about JBuilder because it essentially has
been abandoned by its developers. Since JBuilder 2007 is basically
Eclipse, then maybe I should look at Eclipse instead of learning an
IDE without a future. Sun Java Studio is another free alternative.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I am evaluating JBuilder 2006 and I am rather new to Java, so I may be
>missing the obvious. Any help appreciated.
>
>I wish for an easy way to get help from within JBuilder 2006 when I
>need to write an import statement for a class. Say that I declare an
>instance of JPanel and that I do not already have a line saying:
>
>import javax.swing.JPanel;
>
>If I place the caret on the JPanel class name in my declaration and
>press F1, all I get is some generic help on the IDE, not what I
>really need (which is information on the methods and members of
>JPanel, and on which package I must import). Only after I add the
>appropriate import statement I can access the context help on JPanel.
>I suspect that this is because, in theory, there may be other classes
>called JPanel somewhere in more than one package, but at least I would
>like to have some quick help on which package(s) within the Java path
>contain a JPanel class definition, instead of having to leaf through
>the Java API reference on my desk.

{smallsort}

Deedee Tee wrote:
I am having second thoughts about JBuilder because it essentially has
been abandoned by its developers.
Um, the response you got to your question was from one of the
developers, so he might disagree with you on that.
--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]