How to import war file into a project?

2003-06-29 09:47:56 AM
jbuilder16
I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to import a war file from a jdeveloper project into a project in jbuilder. I don't see why I'd have to reimport every file, when all the information is in the war file.
How would I accomplish this? Thanks for responding...

Re:How to import war file into a project?

Thanks Bill:
That is what I did...I should have checked back here earlier! I didn't expect anyone else to be crazy enough to be workin on a Saturday nite. ;-)
Thanks.
"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
This is a JBuilder Enterprise feature.

Use File | New | Project | Project for Existing Code. I believe you
should be able to use the browse button in the wizard to navigate to the
root directory inside the WAR -- if not, then you will have to un-JAR it
first.

"alan akers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3efe454c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to import a war
file from a jdeveloper project into a project in jbuilder. I don't see
why I'd have to reimport every file, when all the information is in the
war file.

>How would I accomplish this? Thanks for responding...

Re:How to import war file into a project?

Hi Bill:
Thanks. So this is not available in the JDeveloper Professional version? at 999$? It's important because we are targeting a
potential purchase of copies of that. There's no trial for the
Pro version, and we don't need most of the features in the
Enterprise version...
Also, the browse button _definitely_ does not work. When I attempt to browse inside the war, and hit 'Next', the wizard
claims that the war file is not a valid directory. I had to
unjar the src's and place them manually...
Is there anyway to get an exact list of what features are
available in the Pro version that are not available in
Enterprise?
Thanks.
"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
This is a JBuilder Enterprise feature.

Use File | New | Project | Project for Existing Code. I believe you
should be able to use the browse button in the wizard to navigate to the
root directory inside the WAR -- if not, then you will have to un-JAR it
first.

"alan akers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3efe454c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to import a war
file from a jdeveloper project into a project in jbuilder. I don't see
why I'd have to reimport every file, when all the information is in the
war file.

>How would I accomplish this? Thanks for responding...

{smallsort}

Re:How to import war file into a project?

The Project for Existing Code wizard is available in JBuilder Developer,
however the features of identifying EJB, WAR, or EAR descriptors and
creating the corresponding build targets in the Project Pane are
Enterprise features.
The Borland website has a feature matrix.
www.borland.com/jbuilder/pdf/jb9_feamatrix.pdf
"Alan Akers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Hi Bill:

Thanks. So this is not available in the JDeveloper Professional
version? at 999$? It's important because we are targeting a
potential purchase of copies of that. There's no trial for the
Pro version, and we don't need most of the features in the
Enterprise version...

Also, the browse button _definitely_ does not work. When I attempt to
browse inside the war, and hit 'Next', the wizard
claims that the war file is not a valid directory. I had to
unjar the src's and place them manually...

Is there anyway to get an exact list of what features are
available in the Pro version that are not available in
Enterprise?

Thanks.

"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>This is a JBuilder Enterprise feature.
>
>Use File | New | Project | Project for Existing Code. I believe you
>should be able to use the browse button in the wizard to navigate to
the
>root directory inside the WAR -- if not, then you will have to un-JAR
it
>first.
>

>"alan akers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:3efe454c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>
>>I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to import a
war
>file from a jdeveloper project into a project in jbuilder. I don't
see
>why I'd have to reimport every file, when all the information is in
the
>war file.
>>
>>How would I accomplish this? Thanks for responding...

Re:How to import war file into a project?

Thanks Bill.
That helps, even if it poses another issue for the team. Building wars is free w/jdev. This decision is looking harder and harder to convince others...
I STILL do not see where any information about creating the war file goes....even in the enterprise trial i have. that question has never been answered. for all i can see, you can't create a war file at all in jbuilder...
i created this project FROM a war file, it should be able to update the war file upon make....can someone specifically show me where this information is?

news:3eff7bcb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Hi Bill:
>
>Thanks. So this is not available in the JDeveloper Professional
version? at 999$? It's important because we are targeting a
>potential purchase of copies of that. There's no trial for the
>Pro version, and we don't need most of the features in the
>Enterprise version...
>
>Also, the browse button _definitely_ does not work. When I attempt to
browse inside the war, and hit 'Next', the wizard
>claims that the war file is not a valid directory. I had to
>unjar the src's and place them manually...
>
>Is there anyway to get an exact list of what features are
>available in the Pro version that are not available in
>Enterprise?
>
>Thanks.
>
>"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>This is a JBuilder Enterprise feature.
>>
>>Use File | New | Project | Project for Existing Code. I believe you
>>should be able to use the browse button in the wizard to navigate to
the
>>root directory inside the WAR -- if not, then you will have to un-JAR
it
>>first.
>>

>>"alan akers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news:3efe454c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>>
>>>I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to import a
war
>>file from a jdeveloper project into a project in jbuilder. I don't
see
>>why I'd have to reimport every file, when all the information is in
the
>>war file.
>>>
>>>How would I accomplish this? Thanks for responding...

Re:How to import war file into a project?

It probably would be clearer if you tried to create from scratch rather
than trying to import something created elsewhere and not be able to see
the process.
The wizard scans the directory you provided. For each web.xml file
encountered, it creates a Web Module in the new project file.
Ultimately doing a Make on a Web Module creates an WAR file. The
scanner also looks for EJB descriptors and can similarily create an EJB
Module.
Note that creating an archive is free in JBuilder as well. If you don't
want a lot of value-added features, you can construct a WAR in JBuilder
for free too.