2005 is a slug.

2005-04-26 02:21:19 PM
jbuilder22
Have to put in a compaint here. I've been using 2005 for a week now and it's definitely slower than X. The worst offender is the project view tree. It sometimes take up to 15 seconds to respond
to a right mouse click request for a popup menu and if you have
any more than about 50 or so nodes (files, dirs, etc) visible,
scrolling becomes a series of "drag and stop and wait for it to
catch up" events.
PC: 2.6G P4 with 1G ram.
Derek

Re:2005 is a slug.

Derek Clarkson wrote:
Have to put in a compaint here. I've been using 2005 for a week now and it's definitely slower than X. The worst offender is the project view tree. It sometimes take up to 15 seconds to respond
to a right mouse click request for a popup menu and if you have
any more than about 50 or so nodes (files, dirs, etc) visible,
scrolling becomes a series of "drag and stop and wait for it to
catch up" events.

PC: 2.6G P4 with 1G ram.

Derek
I saw basically no performance difference between JBX and JB2005 on my
machine with similar specs.
Perhaps you had tweaked some of the JBX settings to get it to speed up?
There are things you can do in the IDE (Personality settings,
<X>Insight settings, etc), and things you can do in the config files
(<jbuilder>\bin\jdk.config and <jbuilder>\bin\jbuilder.config) that will
improve performance.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:2005 is a slug.

Are you running with any third-party OpenTools (ones which might not work
correctly with JB2005)?
Are you using any JB2005 new features? (Like having decorations enabled in
Project | Project Properties | Decorations.)
One thing you can try is launching JBuilder.exe from a console window and
taking multiple thread dumps during a delay displaying a popup. You should
be able to isolate what is taking so long if you have a long enough delay to
work with. (Take a thread dump by moving focus to the console window and
entering Ctrl+Break. I am assuming you are running on Windows.)
"Derek Clarkson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Have to put in a compaint here. I've been using 2005 for a week now and
it's definitely slower than X. The worst offender is the project view
tree. It sometimes take up to 15 seconds to respond
to a right mouse click request for a popup menu and if you have
any more than about 50 or so nodes (files, dirs, etc) visible,
scrolling becomes a series of "drag and stop and wait for it to
catch up" events.

PC: 2.6G P4 with 1G ram.

Derek

{smallsort}

Re:2005 is a slug.

Looks like this might be having an effect. However have hit another bug when attempting to turn them off. I have a project group with 7 projects in it. I turned then off in all of the projects and shut down JB. Upon restarting, I found that two of the projects have not saved the new settings and reset back to having the decorations on. I've now tried a number of things and cannot get either of these two projects to save their decoration settings. each time I start JB, it's restored them back to factory defaults. Any ideas ?
ciao
Derek

news:426ddddf$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Have to put in a compaint here. I've been using 2005 for a week now and
>it's definitely slower than X. The worst offender is the project view
>tree. It sometimes take up to 15 seconds to respond
>to a right mouse click request for a popup menu and if you have
>any more than about 50 or so nodes (files, dirs, etc) visible,
>scrolling becomes a series of "drag and stop and wait for it to
>catch up" events.
>
>PC: 2.6G P4 with 1G ram.
>
>Derek

Re:2005 is a slug.

I suppose there could be a problem with that property not triggering a
"dirty" status on the Project. You should see the Save and Save All toolbar
button become enabled. If you don't, then just change some other property
temporarily which does trigger that state change.
"Derek Clarkson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Looks like this might be having an effect. However have hit another bug
when attempting to turn them off. I have a project group with 7 projects
in it. I turned then off in all of the projects and shut down JB. Upon
restarting, I found that two of the projects have not saved the new
settings and reset back to having the decorations on. I've now tried a
number of things and cannot get either of these two projects to save their
decoration settings. each time I start JB, it's restored them back to
factory defaults. Any ideas ?

ciao
Derek

"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Are you running with any third-party OpenTools (ones which might not work
>correctly with JB2005)?
>
>Are you using any JB2005 new features? (Like having decorations enabled
>in
>Project | Project Properties | Decorations.)
>
>One thing you can try is launching JBuilder.exe from a console window and
>taking multiple thread dumps during a delay displaying a popup. You
>should
>be able to isolate what is taking so long if you have a long enough delay
>work with. (Take a thread dump by moving focus to the console window and
>entering Ctrl+Break. I am assuming you are running on Windows.)
>

>"Derek Clarkson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:426ddddf$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>
>>Have to put in a compaint here. I've been using 2005 for a week now and
>>it's definitely slower than X. The worst offender is the project view
>>tree. It sometimes take up to 15 seconds to respond
>>to a right mouse click request for a popup menu and if you have
>>any more than about 50 or so nodes (files, dirs, etc) visible,
>>scrolling becomes a series of "drag and stop and wait for it to
>>catch up" events.
>>
>>PC: 2.6G P4 with 1G ram.
>>
>>Derek

Re:2005 is a slug.

Bill Joy wrote:
Are you running with any third-party OpenTools (ones which might not work
correctly with JB2005)?

Are you using any JB2005 new features? (Like having decorations enabled in
Project | Project Properties | Decorations.)

That reminds me... Is your project hooked up to a repository like CVS?
If it is a remote repository, you might need to change your project's
"State Change Interval" to a higher number.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]
question.
Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:

Re:2005 is a slug.

Thanks Lori, had the setting at both 15 minutes and 0 minutes (Disabled ???). Either way, no noticable difference. The tree severly lags behind the mouse, especially when scrolling.
ciao
Derek.

Re:2005 is a slug.

I have to agree.
I run a reasonable spec machine but JBuilder 2005 grinds to a halt. I
recall this from JBuilder 3 days.
I'd go as far to say that it's virtually unusable! The designer screen is
appalling too.
Ted
"Derek Clarkson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Have to put in a compaint here. I've been using 2005 for a week now and
it's definitely slower than X. The worst offender is the project view tree.
It sometimes take up to 15 seconds to respond
to a right mouse click request for a popup menu and if you have
any more than about 50 or so nodes (files, dirs, etc) visible,
scrolling becomes a series of "drag and stop and wait for it to
catch up" events.

PC: 2.6G P4 with 1G ram.

Derek

Re:2005 is a slug.

I dont find the normal aspects of 2005 that slow, just the GUI designer.
In the designer, when toggling back and forth for example between source and designer takes at least 30 seconds before the designer responds.
Then each time I click on a different component in the designer, it takes another 20-30 seconds before it responds
:(
makes the designer almost unusable when I need to change several componments.
For example, I have a 3x3 grid of 9 edit fields in a gridbag layout, and need to change all of them.
It will take me almost 5 min just of refresh time to click each one, let alone the time to change them.