JBuilder 2006 FC5 x86_64

2006-04-08 07:24:23 AM
jbuilder3
Hey guys,
After much difficulty, I have finally gotten the silly Install Anywhere
installer to install on my 64bit machine. After hours of tracing and
trying to read their silly scripts, I finally found that it was trying
to 'fix' a problem on older libc systems for threading support. ARGH!
IF THEY WOULD JUST FRICKIN' USE JAVA in my path and not a bunch of shell
commands, they'd be much better off. We're stinkin' Java developers!
We already have an appropriate VM on our frickin' boxes!
Ok, so the easiest solution (don't ask me why) is to temporarily rename
/usr/bin/strings to /usr/bin/strings.bak and then run the actual
installation script from a place copied to your hard drive (it may work
off the CD, but moving to my hard drive was one of my first steps in
trying to fix this problem):
[root@charis ~]# LAX_DEBUG=true /JB/Disk1/InstData/Linux/VM/install.bin
Don't forget to rename your strings command back.
-Troy A. Griffitts
crosswire.org

Re:JBuilder 2006 FC5 x86_64

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
IF THEY WOULD JUST FRICKIN' USE JAVA in my path and not a bunch of shell
commands, they'd be much better off. We're stinkin' Java developers!
We already have an appropriate VM on our frickin' boxes!

Yep, I would agree. JB is really the only Java IDE (I do not know about
Idea), that doesn't use a simple tarball or zip file structure. That is
really all you need unless you are a Windows novice, who only understands
the traditional installer model. If you need this type of installer, it is
ok to ship one with it, but it should not be required. I think JB 9 or X
was the last version that had the more traditional zip option.

Re:JBuilder 2006 FC5 x86_64

Wow, I am really curious how/why this works and how you figured it out.

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder 2006 FC5 x86_64

I was puzzling over the same problem for 32bit version of FC5, until I saw this. Nice one!
Steve.