JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

2007-01-14 03:19:50 AM
jbuilder11
JBuilder 2007 Developer -- $399.00
* 512 MB RAM minimum (768 GB RAM recommended)
* 700 MB to 1.2 GB hard disk space minimum (depending on edition, plus additional space during installation)
WINDOWS?
* Intel?Pentium?4/1.7 GHz or higher (or compatible) for JBuilder Developer
* Microsoft?Windows?Windows XP
* DVD-ROM drive
* High-resolution monitor (1024x768 or higher, 256 colors)
* Mouse or other pointing device
-------
I'm running Eclipse 3.2.1 and VE 1.1 on Win2K running on an 800 Mhz Pentium with 256 meg of memory and it works just fine.
And it was free...

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

"Fine" is a vague term. I have added 2GB to original 1 to work in
Eclipse "fine". Everything depends on what features you are using, what
other applications are running in parallel, how many or heavy processes
you are debugging. For me a 256MB machine is good at most for VI - my
ANT scripts need -Xmx600M to run.
- Alexey.

--
Alexey N. Solofnenko
home: trelony.cjb.net/

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

I didn't say you had to run on 256 meg. I just said it works fine for me...
I like to ride my bicycle around town. I wouldn't recommend a bicycle for a 40 mile commute.
What's your point?

Ken Warner wrote:

>JBuilder 2007 Developer -- $399.00
>
>* 512 MB RAM minimum (768 GB RAM recommended)
>* 700 MB to 1.2 GB hard disk space minimum (depending on edition,
>plus additional space during installation)
>
>WINDOWS®
>* Intel® Pentium® 4/1.7 GHz or higher (or compatible) for JBuilder
>Developer
>* Microsoft® Windows® Windows XP
>* DVD-ROM drive
>* High-resolution monitor (1024x768 or higher, 256 colors)
>* Mouse or other pointing device
>
>-------
>
>I'm running Eclipse 3.2.1 and VE 1.1 on Win2K running on an 800 Mhz
>Pentium with 256 meg of memory and it works just fine.
>
>And it was free...

{smallsort}

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

My point is "your millage may vary". The number mentioned in the system
requirements is an estimate for most common projects people are going to
develop with JBuilder. Additional features do require more memory and
usually (unless JBuilder is very different) you can disable feature you
do not need.
- Alexey.

--
Alexey N. Solofnenko
home: trelony.cjb.net/

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

">>>And it was free..."
I think the other major thing that has not been pointed out in response to your initial comment is that there are customisations and/or additions to an "out of the box" eclipse install, and these functionality enhancements are what you are paying for.
It could very well be that you do not need (or want) any additional features vs the standard eclipse features. If this is the case, then *of course* you should not pay for un-needed items.

Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:
>"Fine" is a vague term. I have added 2GB to original 1 to work in
>Eclipse "fine". Everything depends on what features you are using, what
>other applications are running in parallel, how many or heavy processes
>you are debugging. For me a 256MB machine is good at most for VI - my
>ANT scripts need -Xmx600M to run.
>
>- Alexey.
>
>Ken Warner wrote:
>
>>JBuilder 2007 Developer -- $399.00
>>
>>* 512 MB RAM minimum (768 GB RAM recommended)
>>* 700 MB to 1.2 GB hard disk space minimum (depending on edition,
>>plus additional space during installation)
>>
>>WINDOWS®
>>* Intel® Pentium® 4/1.7 GHz or higher (or compatible) for JBuilder
>>Developer
>>* Microsoft® Windows® Windows XP
>>* DVD-ROM drive
>>* High-resolution monitor (1024x768 or higher, 256 colors)
>>* Mouse or other pointing device
>>
>>-------
>>
>>I'm running Eclipse 3.2.1 and VE 1.1 on Win2K running on an 800 Mhz
>>Pentium with 256 meg of memory and it works just fine.
>>
>>And it was free...

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:19:50 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:
I'm running Eclipse 3.2.1 and VE 1.1 on Win2K running on an 800 Mhz Pentium with 256 meg of memory and it works just fine.

And it was free...
You must have very limited Java development needs then.
--
David Orriss Jr. [TeamB]
www.codethought.com

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB] wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:19:50 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:

>I'm running Eclipse 3.2.1 and VE 1.1 on Win2K running on an 800 Mhz Pentium with 256 meg of memory and it works just fine.
>
>And it was free...

You must have very limited Java development needs then.

Ah! A thinly veiled insult. Could I expect less? Let's have a Java pissing contest...

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

Ken Warner wrote:
David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB] wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:19:50 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:
>

>>I'm running Eclipse 3.2.1 and VE 1.1 on Win2K running on an 800 Mhz
>>Pentium with 256 meg of memory and it works just fine.
>>
>>And it was free...
>

>You must have very limited Java development needs then.

Ah! A thinly veiled insult. Could I expect less? Let's have a Java
pissing contest...
I do not think it was an insult or intended as such. If all you need is
the Eclipse editor, then your Java needs are not nearly as great as the
majority of users, I would say.
That doesn't mean your work is not important. You could be writing
complex back end systems and only need an editor and de{*word*81}.. Nothing
wrong with that, but that is not how the majority of Java developers use
Java.

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:09:58 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:
David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB] wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:19:50 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:
>

>>I'm running Eclipse 3.2.1 and VE 1.1 on Win2K running on an 800 Mhz Pentium with 256 meg of memory and it works just fine.
>>
>>And it was free...
>

>You must have very limited Java development needs then.

Ah! A thinly veiled insult.
Not hardly. I can tell you that for the applications I write I need to
have a minimum of 1GB for development. Optimally I need 2GB if I want to
run the server and debug the software on the same system. We tried, just
to see if we could do it, using a machine with 384MB and the baseline
version of Eclipse to do work on the application.
Eclipse started firing off Out of Memory errors like there was no tomorrow.
Look if you don't like JBuilder, OK.. that's fine.. but why continue to
frequent these groups, then? Isn't that counterproductive to your own
efforts?
--
David Orriss Jr. [TeamB]
www.codethought.com
* Please limit all responses to the newsgroups. Thanks! *
My blog: codethought.com/blog (NEW)
Save yourself some time and check these sites:
Borland Newsgroup Search:
Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic:

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

Oh come on... you can{*word*211}harder than that.
I mean JB is Eclipse now isn't it???
David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB] wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:09:58 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:

>David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB] wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:19:50 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:
>>

>>>I'm running Eclipse 3.2.1 and VE 1.1 on Win2K running on an 800 Mhz Pentium with 256 meg of memory and it works just fine.
>>>
>>>And it was free...
>>

>>You must have very limited Java development needs then.
>>

>Ah! A thinly veiled insult.

Not hardly. I can tell you that for the applications I write I need to
have a minimum of 1GB for development. Optimally I need 2GB if I want to
run the server and debug the software on the same system. We tried, just
to see if we could do it, using a machine with 384MB and the baseline
version of Eclipse to do work on the application.

Eclipse started firing off Out of Memory errors like there was no tomorrow.

Look if you don't like JBuilder, OK.. that's fine.. but why continue to
frequent these groups, then? Isn't that counterproductive to your own
efforts?

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 10:58:01 -0800, Ken Warner
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

I mean JB is Eclipse now isn't it???
That's like saying a Jaguar is a Ford now.
My blog: codethought.com/blog (NEW)
Save yourself some time and check these sites:
Borland Newsgroup Search:
Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic:

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

Ken Warner wrote:
Oh come on... you can [...]
Ken,
I have to ask you to clean up your language.
You've stepped across the line of being
civil.
You have been around here long enough to
know the guidelines. You can have dissenting
opinions, but your use of language must remain civil
and be neither profane nor vulgar.
Thanks.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:JB2007 -- Eclipse for $399....

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
Ken Warner wrote:

>Oh come on... you can [...]

Ken,

I have to ask you to clean up your language.
You've stepped across the line of being
civil.

You have been around here long enough to
know the guidelines. You can have dissenting
opinions, but your use of language must remain civil
and be neither profane nor vulgar.

Thanks.

You would have a hard time proving anything I said was profane or vulgar when you can hear the same word on family television weekly...