Trial Version of Software ???

2004-11-08 02:46:04 PM
jbuilder22
How might I create a trial version of some software in Java? I have a Java
app that I'd like to allow a 30 day evaluation period for. This isn't hard
to do in the Windows world (simply stuffing a file with a date in the
\system directory or in the registry or ....) but I have no idea how this
might be done in the Java world -- espeically in a cross platform manner.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
-Art

Re:Trial Version of Software ???

Art Pollard wrote:
How might I create a trial version of some software in Java? I have a Java
app that I'd like to allow a 30 day evaluation period for. This isn't hard
to do in the Windows world (simply stuffing a file with a date in the
\system directory or in the registry or ....) but I have no idea how this
might be done in the Java world -- espeically in a cross platform manner.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

-Art

Most of the Java-based install programs offer this kind of feature, but
I've never investigated this thoroughly. I'm pretty sure you have to
get the "pay-for" versions in order to get this functionality.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:Trial Version of Software ???

There is an API to store user preferences in registry on Windows or in
user home on Unices, but I recommend signing your code with a
certificate that expires in 30 days. The drawback is that you need to
produce a new build every day, but you will not need to store anything
on a client, if you use this option.
- Alexey.
Art Pollard wrote:
How might I create a trial version of some software in Java? I have a Java
app that I'd like to allow a 30 day evaluation period for. This isn't hard
to do in the Windows world (simply stuffing a file with a date in the
\system directory or in the registry or ....) but I have no idea how this
might be done in the Java world -- espeically in a cross platform manner.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

-Art

{smallsort}