Tomcat ignores runtime config

2006-07-16 06:09:51 AM
jbuilder20
Hi!
I found, that JBuilder 2006 ignores runtime config server settings. It
ignores launch path (I set up /admin/templates while it opens /), port
adress (I set up 8080, while it opens 8083), and the worse thing, that it
opens numerous instnces of servlets in different threads.
Why it van be so?

Re:Tomcat ignores runtime config

Also, when I change serverXXXX.xml (first, make it static by removing
apropriate comment) so, that URLs became wrong, I found, that it types in
Messages window
StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI /
[...]
/admin/templates
So, it is clear that it tries to launch wrong URL 16 times before trying to
launch URL from runtime config.
Why!?

Re:Tomcat ignores runtime config

So, it is clear that it tries to launch wrong URL 16 times before trying
to launch URL from runtime config.
And at last it types
StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI
/favicon.ico
Whats this?

{smallsort}

Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI /
That's the JBuilder environment itself just checking to see if the web
container is running. Aggravating but necessary and can be safely ignored.
StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI
/admin/templates
That's probably coming from your runtime configuration. Make sure you
have an appropriate URI setup for your application.
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI
/favicon.ico
That's IE doing that. It's looking for an icon for the website and it
doesn't know or care that the website is a development server.
--

"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >сообщи?сообщила ?
новостях следующе? news:xn0ep2ioi5q1mu003-kdean@www.teamb.com...
Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:

>StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI /

That's the JBuilder environment itself just checking to see if the web
container is running. Aggravating but necessary and can be safely
ignored.
It seems to me, that it can't be ignored, because if there is a servlet,
responding to requested URI, then it starts numerous times, hence extremely
complicating debug process. I want to be sure, that servlet starts so many
times as I call it.
Dims.

Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >сообщи?сообщила ?
новостях следующе? news:xn0ep2ioi5q1mu003-kdean@www.teamb.com...
>Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
>
>>StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI /
>That's the JBuilder environment itself just checking to see if the web
>container is running. Aggravating but necessary and can be safely
>ignored.

It seems to me, that it can't be ignored, because if there is a servlet,
responding to requested URI, then it starts numerous times, hence extremely
complicating debug process. I want to be sure, that servlet starts so many
times as I call it.

Dims.

Then you need to configure something to respond to request URI /.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:Tomcat ignores runtime config

"Lori M Olson [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >???????/???????? ? ????????
?????????: news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
>"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >сообщи?сообщила ?
>новостях следующе? news:xn0ep2ioi5q1mu003-kdean@www.teamb.com...
>>Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
>>
>>>StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI /
>>That's the JBuilder environment itself just checking to see if the web
>>container is running. Aggravating but necessary and can be safely
>>ignored.
>
>It seems to me, that it can't be ignored, because if there is a servlet,
>responding to requested URI, then it starts numerous times, hence
>extremely complicating debug process. I want to be sure, that servlet
>starts so many times as I call it.
>
>Dims.

Then you need to configure something to respond to request URI /.

So, this is the question. I wan't NOT TO configure something to respond in
order to make debugging possible. If Builder will not start his delirium, I
can easy start explorer and easy debug my servlet. So, I need to print some
garbage in launch URI field in order to exclude unexpected servlet starting
by Builder. But it ignores my setup. It always starts from "/".
I have config, that makes one servlet responding to any context. So, because
of this behavior, I can't debug it. Even when I totally broke my servlets,
it continues starting "/" multiple times.
So, the question is: how I can set up my own launch URI in order to make
Builder launch something wrong in order to make Builder not to launch
anything in order me can launch what I need?
Dims

Re:Tomcat ignores runtime config

Now I wrote stub servlet in order to place it in launch path. I named it
testservlet1 and mapped it to /admin/test/1 path.
Then I put string "/admin/test/" in two places:
1. In properties of webmodule - Web - launch URI.
2. In properties of runtime config of my project - Run - Category:Services =
JSP/Servlet - Launch URI.
BUT
Regardless of anything this "clever" Builder does one of the folowing
things:
1. If my config is broken, in wrotes FOUR{*word*249} times
"StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI /" and
only ONE time "StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for
request URI /admin/test/1".
2. If my config is good, it starts multiple (maybe 14) times the servlet,
responding to root path, making debug impossible.
So, the fact is, that configuration parameter "Launch URI" affects only 1/15
part of JBuilder Launch URI behavior. Other 14/15 part is controlled
somewhere else.
So, the question is WHERE is this place? How I can take control over 100%
launch URI behavior of JBuilder? I don't want to wait, while JBuilder starts
14 times what he wants and finaly what I want. I want it to start first I
want, and desirable THE ONLY I want!
Dims.

Re:Tomcat ignores runtime config

Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
[...]
So, the question is WHERE is this place? How I can take control over 100%
launch URI behavior of JBuilder? I don't want to wait, while JBuilder starts
14 times what he wants and finaly what I want. I want it to start first I
want, and desirable THE ONLY I want! [...]
Which version of Tomcat are you using? I regularly use Tomcat 5.5
in JBuilder 2006 but do not experience this problem. I do remember
seeing it, but am wondering if it is related to using Tomcat 4.1.x?
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:Tomcat ignores runtime config

"Paul Furbacher [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >???????/???????? ? ????????
?????????: news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:

>[...]
>So, the question is WHERE is this place? How I can take control over 100%
>launch URI behavior of JBuilder? I don't want to wait, while JBuilder
>starts 14 times what he wants and finaly what I want. I want it to start
>first I want, and desirable THE ONLY I want! [...]

Which version of Tomcat are you using? I regularly use Tomcat 5.5
in JBuilder 2006 but do not experience this problem. I do remember
seeing it, but am wondering if it is related to using Tomcat 4.1.x?

I'm using JB2006 and Tomcat 4, for compatimility issues.
Dims

Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >сообщи?сообщила ?
новостях следующе? news:xn0ep2ioi5q1mu003-kdean@www.teamb.com...
>Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
>
>>StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI /
>That's the JBuilder environment itself just checking to see if the web
>container is running. Aggravating but necessary and can be safely
>ignored.

It seems to me, that it can't be ignored, because if there is a servlet,
responding to requested URI, then it starts numerous times, hence extremely
complicating debug process. I want to be sure, that servlet starts so many
times as I call it.
I'm confused. In your original configuration, it seems that you did
not have a servlet mapped to that. Later in this thread, if I'm
reading things correctly, you tried a work-around. That shouldn't
be necessary because in the first place, if Tomcat 4.x cannot find
a mapping, it is not instantiating any servlet. It's just saying
that it is trying, not that it is succeeding.
As Kevin pointed out, I think you can safely ignore it. Especially
if you deploy this same Web app to a stand-alone instance of Tomcat
(i.e., not one started up and managed by JBuilder, but started from
one of the supplied scripts in <Tomcat-install-dir>/bin. Have you
run your Web app that way? If so, did it perform correctly? If so,
ignore the "mapping config error for request uri /". I did for
quite some time, and am still here to tell about it.
I Googled this
+"MAPPING configuration error /"
One hit (hard to find a good one though) includes a response from
Borland's Krishnan Subramanian, who works on Borland Enterprise
Server. He said:
You can ignore the "MAPPING configuration error /".
This just means that Tomcat does not have a mapping
to serve requests for that URI.
If Krishnan says it, I believe him.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:Tomcat ignores runtime config

"Paul Furbacher [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >???????/???????? ? ????????
?????????: news:44e24652$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
But the cause of all my attempts is not a config error! The cause is
impossibility of debug. Earlier everything worked well, including de{*word*81}.
Then something happened, and I found, that I can't debug servlet because it
starts several times and my logs contain mesh. I'v started research. At
first I thought, that it was my error, that it was some bug, that cause
multiple instances starting. But then I found this strange fact. So, I can't
ignore this fact because it prevent me from debugging! I'm looking to logs,
I'm looking at breakpoints and see them as interference of multiple
instances. I can't understand anything, because I don't know, does this
specific trace coresponds to one previous, or other. It stops 14 times at
every point, some threads goes ahead and stops at next breakpoint, and some
at previous!
So if Subramanian not only said that I can ignore messages, but also hinted,
how I can read logs in such case of multiple simultaneous threads, I would
believe him too. But he didn't, so I can't believe him.

Server. He said:

>You can ignore the "MAPPING configuration error /".
>This just means that Tomcat does not have a mapping
>to serve requests for that URI.

If Krishnan says it, I believe him.

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?

Thank you.

Re:Tomcat ignores runtime config

Switching to Tomcat 5.5 does not help: again Builder starts servlet
answering "/", not "/admin/test/1".

Dmitry S. Kravchenko wrote:
But the cause of all my attempts is not a config error! The cause is
impossibility of debug. Earlier everything worked well, including de{*word*81}.
Then something happened, and I found, that I can't debug servlet because it
starts several times and my logs contain mesh. I'v started research. At
first I thought, that it was my error, that it was some bug, that cause
multiple instances starting. But then I found this strange fact. So, I can't
ignore this fact because it prevent me from debugging! I'm looking to logs,
I'm looking at breakpoints and see them as interference of multiple
instances. I can't understand anything, because I don't know, does this
specific trace coresponds to one previous, or other. It stops 14 times at
every point, some threads goes ahead and stops at next breakpoint, and some
at previous!
Did you migrate this Web module from an earlier version of JBuilder?
If so, can you go back and inspect the Web Module Properties dialog
in that version of JBuilder and see what the values for the following
properties are on the "Web" panel/page of the properties dialog?
(Right-click on Web module node, select properties, select "Web"
in left-hand tree.) Write them down because you are going to compare
them to what they are in JBuilder 2006.
- Context root:
- Launch URI: ("/" is the typical value for my Web apps)
Close that and open your Runtime Configuration dialog, choose
your particular config. Click on "JSP/Servlet and note the value
of
- Launch URI:
Don't change these values in your earlier version.
Now compare those to what you have in the copy of your Web app
in JBuilder 2006. Is there any difference?