Hierarchical Lookups

2003-11-13 04:29:15 AM
jbuilder5
Imagine two tables with the following fields:
MAIN: ID, FLD1, FLD2, ...
LOOKUP: ID, FLD1
The values that are legal for MAIN:FLD1 can be any value in LOOKUP:FLD1, as
long as LOOKUP:ID is equal to the current value of MAIN:ID.
It seems like you should be able to tweak the lookup jdbQueryDataSet to be
parameterized by the main table jdbQueryDataSet using the "ID" field as the
parameter, and then setting up a master/detail link in the lookup
jdbQuerySet. However I keep getting "Operation not allowed on empty null
DataSet".
Any clues greatly appreciated. Thx.

Re:Hierarchical Lookups

In <3fb2981b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Steve wrote:

It seems like you should be able to tweak the lookup jdbQueryDataSet
to be parameterized by the main table jdbQueryDataSet using the "ID"
field as the parameter, and then setting up a master/detail link in
the lookup jdbQuerySet.
As I remember it, there is a tutorial on parameterized queries that
you can find in the help. Are you using a picklist..??? If so you will
get more detailed help on that in the dbswing section..
John..
TeamB are volunteer helpers. Please DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL!
Post all questions and replies to this newsgroup ONLY
For papers on DataExpress, Applets, JSP, and Web Development go to:
www.microps.com/mps/papers.html

Re:Hierarchical Lookups

"John B. Moore (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
In <3fb2981b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Steve wrote:

>It seems like you should be able to tweak the lookup jdbQueryDataSet
>to be parameterized by the main table jdbQueryDataSet using the "ID"
>field as the parameter, and then setting up a master/detail link in
>the lookup jdbQuerySet.

As I remember it, there is a tutorial on parameterized queries that
you can find in the help. Are you using a picklist..??? If so you will
get more detailed help on that in the dbswing section..
Yep, got that. I just figured that the master/detail feature would support
this, but you have to roll your own. Just do a refresh on the picklist
queries in the Opened and Navigated events of the main dataset.

{smallsort}