Java-based Spell Checker...

2003-08-18 09:50:44 AM
jbuilder17
Can anybody recommend a free-ware Java-based Spell Checker. I would also
be interested in commercial versions if there are no freeware candidates...

Re:Java-based Spell Checker...

Dennis Landi wrote:
Can anybody recommend a free-ware Java-based Spell Checker. I would also
be interested in commercial versions if there are no freeware candidates...

Dennis,
We started porting EDSSpell to Java but the project is "back burner"
because there was no call for it.
In fact, you are the first to mention the need for a Java spell
checker. We do not want to add support like we did with Kylix where
"every body" wanted it, and then few actually bought it.
Let me know if you do not find the component you need. We may need to
revive this project.
Good luck!
Eduardo A. Salgado
Eminent Domain Software
"Custom Software Development For Your Domain"
Makers of EDSSpell, EDSPrint, EDSZipCodes and
XSpell, the IDE Expert.

Re:Java-based Spell Checker...

There are a couple of commericial versions, I uncovered. But frankly the
actual functionality:
1) Store and index of alphabetized words to be searched,
2) and provide an update mechanism
is so trivial, I might just write one fast for my own use...
-dennis
"Eduardo A. Salgado" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:3f421ff9
Let me know if you do not find the component you need. We may need to
revive this project.

Good luck!

{smallsort}

Re:Java-based Spell Checker...

Dennis Landi wrote:
There are a couple of commercial versions, I uncovered. But frankly the
actual functionality:

1) Store and index of alphabetized words to be searched,
2) and provide an update mechanism

is so trivial, I might just write one fast for my own use...

HAHAHA!
Oh, you are serious?
Spell checking is about doing very fast checks of words against a wordlist but also includes suggesting words when the one you search for is not in your dictionary (using Soundex or some such). Further, the list of words should be manageable. For example, our Spanish dictionary has over 420,000 words and compresses to about 8% of the size of the text file used to create it.
But, if what you need can be done the way you describe it, then you should be OK.

"Dennis Landi" <none[at]none.com>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Can anybody recommend a free-ware Java-based Spell Checker. I would also
be interested in commercial versions if there are no freeware
candidates...
Well, I don't know what you really need for spellchecker capabilities and
thus I can't recommend something special here, but you might try out some of
these:
- czerwonykapturek.tripod.com/jbSpell/jbspell.html
jbSpell also includes a pure Java spellcheck component I once upon a time
contributed.
- www.iu.hio.no/~frodes/sprell/sprell.html
Sprell is a free pure Java solution.
- codecentral.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/listing
Another one for JB.
- www.thesolutioncafe.com/jspell.html
A commercial one.
I bet there are much more Java related spellcheckers available free and
commercial ones. Maybe you give gogle a search try.
-Valentino

Re:Java-based Spell Checker...

Thanks Valentino.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

On 8/17/2003 at 9:50:44 PM, Dennis Landi wrote:
Can anybody recommend a free-ware Java-based Spell Checker. I would
also be interested in commercial versions if there are no freeware
candidates...
There is one called "Jazzy" on SourceForge.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]