Re: jBuilder 2006 -- READ THIS!

2006-04-19 08:21:18 PM
jbuilder4
Mike wrote:
What's going on with Borland?
- Oracle's JDeveloper 10.1.2.1 runs fine!
- Netbeans IDE 5.0 runs fine!

Where's Borland?!?!?
This is ridiculous already.
You are right ... and wrong, at the same time.
The problem has been with the launcher inside
the app bundle.
Lori and I are working on things, but one key
piece of the puzzle -- a ***working*** JDK 1.5
implementation from Apple -- was just released.
Until now, I've not been able to say anything
here because all the "field tests" for this release 4
were under NDA.
Now, I can say this: if you use the shell script we
have worked on (Lori published it here some months ago),
and are willing to modify it so that you add the
required JARs for any Open Tools or JDBC drivers
that you want to use (the latter would be used
in DB Pilot and the DataExpress Designer, not in
your own programs), you can have a fairly stable,
productive JBuilder 2006 environment. I've been
running it stably since the latest developer preview
leading up to Release 4 -- Apple fixed an important
bug which lead to JBuilder{*word*154} within minutes of
starting (three cheers for their rapid response on
that one).
Here's the shell script; cut and paste into a
file named jbuilder2006.command in your home
directory. Remember to set the executable bits
via chmod.
****
#!/bin/bash
# Credits:
# Original author -- Dave Yost (for JBuilder 7!)
# Modifications -- Paul Furbacher
# Modifications -- Lori Olson
# Use at your own risk; make modifications according to
# your installation.
# Optional arguments in the last line of this script:
#
# -build: Build projects and project groups
# -help: Display help on command line options
# -license: Displays the license manager
# -update: Update projects and project groups
# -verbose: Display OpenTools loading diagnostics
#
echo "Environment"
/usr/bin/env
# This next "echo" line seems to be critical to avoiding the following
error:
# Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/misc/Perf
# at com.borland.primetime.util.Profiler.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
# at com.borland.primetime.PrimeTime.k(Unknown Source)
# at
com.borland.primetime.PrimeTime.initializeOpenTools(Unknown Source)
# at
com.borland.primetime.PrimeTime.initializeOpenTools(Unknown Source)
# at com.borland.primetime.PrimeTime.start(Unknown Source)
# at com.borland.jbuilder.JBuilder.main(Unknown Source)
# The inspiration for this "fix" is from this:
#
weblogs.java.net/blog/scottschram/archive/2005/05/java_tiger_on_m_1.html
echo `java -version` ""
if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then args="-verbose"
else args=$@
fi
echo $args
JBUILDER_HOME=/Developer/Applications/Borland/JBuilder2006
JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home
useGrowBox=true
menubar="apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar"
#xbootcp=../lib/lawt.jar:../lib/TabbedPaneFix.jar:/System/Library/Java/Extensions/MRJToolkit.jar
jdi=../lib/jdi-extension.jar
sa=$JAVA_HOME/lib/sa-jdi.jar
lib=../lib/DesignerSwingFixes.jar:../lib/TabbedPaneFix.jar:../lib/SequencedEventFix.jar:../lib/PopupFixes.jar:../lib/AntiAliasSupport.jar
xbootcpp=../lib/javac.jar:../lib/lawt.jar:/System/Library/Java/Extensions/MRJToolkit.jar
xbootcpa=$jdi:$sa:$lib
echo "Boot Path /a =" $xbootcpa
echo "Boot Path /p =" $xbootcpp
cd $JBUILDER_HOME/JBuilder.framework/bin
# Dynamically create the classpath; this catches any Open Tools
# or patches you may have installed.
#jars=`find ../patch ../lib ../lib/ext -name \*.jar | tr '\012' : `
jars=`find ../patch ../lib ../lib/bes ../lib/servers ../lib/p2p
../lib/ext -name \*.jar -not -name sanctuary.jar | tr '\012' : `
tomcat=../thirdparty/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/common/lib/servlet-api.jar
echo "Classpath: " $jars
exec
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands/java \
-Xdock:name="JBuilder
2006":icon=$JBUILDER_HOME/JBuilder.app/Contents/Resources/JBuilder.icns \
-D$menubar=true \
-Dapple.awt.showGrowBox=$useGrowBox \
-Xverify:none \
-Xbootclasspath/p:$xbootcpp \
-Xbootclasspath/a:$xbootcpa \
-Xms512m \
-Xmx640m \
-cp ${jars}:${tomcat}:/System/Library/Java \
com.borland.jbuilder.JBuilder $args
****
Note that for DBPilot to see your JDBC driver (e.g., MySQL), you
have to add the path to it to the "jars" list in the shell script.
Likewise, if you have any OpenTool JARs in JBuilder.framework/lib/ext,
you will have to add those JARs to the path. The launcher normally
takes care of doing that, but as we said, the launcher doesn't
work on Tiger because Apple changed things.
But before you try any of this, you have to commit to upgrading
your Java to JDK 1.5 Release 4, and be forewarned that doing so
may set JDK 1.5 as the *default* JDK, thereby potentially messing
up other Java programs on your system. Talk to Apple about that
change in defaults, not Borland, or this newsgroup. JBuilder has
no dog in that fight.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:Re: jBuilder 2006 -- READ THIS!

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
Until now, I've not been able to say anything
here because all the "field tests" for this release 4
were under NDA.
Just to clarify, you're saying that this is due to an Apple NDA, right?
It's not like Borland has been saying, "Shh, don't tell anyone our
software actually works."
--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]

Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB] wrote:
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
>Until now, I've not been able to say anything
>here because all the "field tests" for this release 4
>were under NDA.

Just to clarify, you're saying that this is due to an Apple NDA, right?
It's not like Borland has been saying, "Shh, don't tell anyone our
software actually works."
Yes, to clarify:
I thought that was implied by the fact that Release 4 was
just released that it was an NDA on Release 4 as an ADC member.
It has nothing to do with any NDA with Borland.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: jBuilder 2006 -- READ THIS!

Do you think this might work for JBuilder 2005?
"Paul Furbacher [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Mike wrote:

> [...]

-Xmx640m \
-cp ${jars}:${tomcat}:/System/Library/Java \
com.borland.jbuilder.JBuilder $args
****

Note that for DBPilot to see your JDBC driver (e.g., MySQL), you
have to add the path to it to the "jars" list in the shell script.
Likewise, if you have any OpenTool JARs in JBuilder.framework/lib/ext,
you will have to add those JARs to the path. The launcher normally
takes care of doing that, but as we said, the launcher doesn't
work on Tiger because Apple changed things.

But before you try any of this, you have to commit to upgrading
your Java to JDK 1.5 Release 4, and be forewarned that doing so
may set JDK 1.5 as the *default* JDK, thereby potentially messing
up other Java programs on your system. Talk to Apple about that
change in defaults, not Borland, or this newsgroup. JBuilder has

Just to clarify, I'm referring to running JBuilder 2005 on a MacBook Pro.

news:44462b3b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Michael Truman wrote:
Just to clarify, I'm referring to running JBuilder 2005 on a MacBook Pro.
I'm going to start a new thread so that it will be easy for
everyone to find this info. I believe I have something which
works.
Watch for a thread "[Solution] JBuilder 2005, Release 4, shell
script".