CPU maxing out after five/ten minutes of using JB9 Ent

2003-10-16 09:14:55 AM
jbuilder4
Has anyone else seen their CPU maxing out at 99%+ while using JB9 after
five/then minutes? I can't figure out what's going on. Is this normal? As
soon as I minimuze JB, the cpu drops back down to some normal/acceptable %,
but spikes back up as soon as I restore the JB window again. I have dual
monitors and have the Task Manager up on the other window which is how I'm
monitoring the situation.
Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.

Re:CPU maxing out after five/ten minutes of using JB9 Ent

Flip wrote:
Has anyone else seen their CPU maxing out at 99%+ while using JB9 after
five/then minutes? I can't figure out what's going on. Is this normal? As
soon as I minimuze JB, the cpu drops back down to some normal/acceptable %,
but spikes back up as soon as I restore the JB window again. I have dual
monitors and have the Task Manager up on the other window which is how I'm
monitoring the situation.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.

How much memory do you have? If you are really memory constrained, then
this could be a sign of the garbage collector thrashing itself.
Have you tuned the memory settings in the <jbuilder>\bin\jbuilder.config
file? (vmparam -Xms...)
Also, on a dual head system (I have one) you may have some video
problems, so try futzing with the settings in <jbuilder>\bin\jdk.config.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Re:CPU maxing out after five/ten minutes of using JB9 Ent

How much memory do you have? If you are really memory constrained, then
this could be a sign of the garbage collector thrashing itself.
I have a piddly 256MB. :< I know, I know, it's not enough, but it runs. :>
I'm thankful for that. I thought it might be the garbage collector at work,
but how long should that go on for? Half an hour seems to be a bit
excessive. :>
Have you tuned the memory settings in the <jbuilder>\bin\jbuilder.config
file? (vmparam -Xms...)
I looked around the web after I posted this to see what those three java
video config parms do, and one article said to update my vid drivers. I've
been seeing this for a while, so I assumed I already had the latest drivers
but thought I would double check. Good thing I did, there were new drivers
released in August for my card.
Also, on a dual head system (I have one) you may have some video
problems, so try futzing with the settings in <jbuilder>\bin\jdk.config.
I was hoping to not have to do this, but that's my next step tonight. Do I
have to turn them all on or all off? Or can I do one at a time? I think I
can do one at a time, but I wasn't sure.
Thanks.

{smallsort}

"Flip" <[remove] XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>Also, on a dual head system (I have one) you may have some video
>problems, so try futzing with the settings in
<jbuilder>\bin\jdk.config.
I was hoping to not have to do this, but that's my next step tonight.
Do I
have to turn them all on or all off? Or can I do one at a time? I
think I
can do one at a time, but I wasn't sure.
I'm putting my money on this one.
Start with them all on or off (whichever is the opposite of what they
are now :-) to verify that as the solution, then try them individually.
My impression is that the default settings offer better performance in
general, so you only want to change the minimal subset that corrects the
problem.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:CPU maxing out after five/ten minutes of using JB9 Ent

Howdy.
Start with them all on or off (whichever is the opposite of what they
I tried it again after I updated all the drivers, but no dice. However, it
appears to be chugging along nicely with all of them non-default. So next
I'll go through them one by one. Man that bites, but I guess the only way
to squeeze out any performance.

Flip wrote:
I'll go through them one by one. Man that bites, but I guess the only way
to squeeze out any performance.

Yes, it bites. I've had this problem through several JBuilder versions
now. But it's not JBuilder. It's the JDK. Go search in Sun's bug
database for video problems, and you will see...
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)