Board index » jbuilder » running tomcat from (using) ant - again

running tomcat from (using) ant - again


2003-09-04 07:46:18 AM
jbuilder23
Hi again,
I understand that this in not an ANT newsgroup, therefore I will understand
if nobody answers to this question - thus I apologize if I am bothering you
people.
I have been dealing ant & tomcat for a long time. I am surprised how little
attention Lori paid to this problem, since this is a usual and common
problem. Some people face the problem while launching it (as I do), others
get problem with ZoneSomething jar, then again some of them experience some
weird ZIP Archive security problems, and so on.
There are tons of examples on the web about launching tomcat from ant, but
very little of them work correctly. I have tried to launch tomcat from ant
at least in 10 different ways with or without white spaces, using progra~1
instead of "program files", with and without forks, with and without arg and
jvmarg and using all the ZOO from the syntax of the ant. I also tried on
different PCs and some of them had the default JBuilder installation, etc,
etc.
Finally, the example I posted here was just to give you a picture of what I
am trying to do, and white spaces perhaps confused you, but the white spaces
are not the source of the problem ! Disregard them.
Now I will rephrase the question:
If someone has a working ant target to launch tomcat using ant, without
using external batch or without fork, please share it with me. I will figure
it out on my own and find and fix errors in my build.xml. I find quite some
difficulties with ant manuals which I consider to be very pure.
Once upon the time, someone mentioned, that exporting the project from
JBuilder to ant will solve all problems. Well, that was one fast and wrong
answer, since Jbuilder does not export the run configurations. Therefore
export facility is not appropriate to launch something from ant, perhaps
only to compile.
Thank you!
Quote
All of the install instructions in Jbuilder explicitly tell you NOT to
install JBuilder in a directory with spaces in the name. Most Java
applications don't play nicely with such directories, so it is policy to
avoid them.

You have installed JBuilder under C:\Program Files. That is your problem.

--

Regards,

Lori Olson (TeamB)
"Lori M Olson (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
Petar wrote:
>I need to run tomcat using ant and buil.xml.
>
>First solution works:
>
><exec executable="cmd" vmlauncher="false">
><arg line="/c "D:\work\mytomcat.bat\startup.bat"" />
></exec>
>
>bat has one line:
>java -classpath
>
..bla...\bootstrap.jar;...bla...\tools.jar" -Dcatalina.home="C:/Program
>Files/JBuilder/thirdparty/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6-LE-jdk14"
>org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -config "d:\work\server8080.xml"
start
>

All of the install instructions in Jbuilder explicitly tell you NOT to
install JBuilder in a directory with spaces in the name. Most Java
applications don't play nicely with such directories, so it is policy to
avoid them.

You have installed JBuilder under C:\Program Files. That is your problem.

--

Regards,

Lori Olson (TeamB)

------------

Save yourself, and everyone else, some time and search the
newsgroups and the FAQ-O-Matic before posting your next
question.

Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:
www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

 
 

Re:running tomcat from (using) ant - again

On 9/3/2003 at 7:46:18 PM, Petar wrote:
Quote
I understand that this in not an ANT newsgroup, therefore I will
understand if nobody answers to this question - thus I apologize
if I am bothering you people.
If the problem is with Ant (and Tomcat), then this is definitely not
the right place for it. You might try the Ant-User mailing list. You
can subscribe to it at ant.apache.org.
Quote
I have been dealing ant & tomcat for a long time. I am surprised
how little attention Lori paid to this problem, since this is a
usual and common problem.
What sort of a reaction were you expecting? I saw three messages from
you that she responded to:
In one message, you asked about tools for creating JAR files and she
told you about the Archive Builder.
In another message, you asked about creating a build configuration from
JBuilder's project file. She suggested that you look at the "Export to
Ant" wizard, which is the only thing in JBuilder that was likely to be
able to solve your problem. It turns out that it does not, but it was
still a good suggestion.
And in another, you posted a message about a problem with Ant. It was
clear from your message that you have improperly installed your copy of
JBuilder, so if the problem is in any way related to JBuilder, it made
a lot of sense to point that out, and that is what she did.
You seem to think Lori should have spent a lot more time helping you to
solve your problem. You should understand that these are
peer-supported newsgroups. You post a question and hope that someone
knows the answer, or at least can provide some help. And if someone
who can provide help has both the time and the inclination, they will
post a reply. But there is no guarantee that you will get any reply,
and even if you do, there is no guarantee that what the person has to
offer will help you.
Borland has set up TeamB (www.teamb.com) to make it somewhat
more likely that you will get a useful answer. We receive
(non-monetary) benefits from Borland and we agree to spend time on the
newsgroups, among other things. But that does not change the
fundamental nature of the newsgroup. You still depend on someone
having the answer and having the time to reply. I think you will find
that the Borland newsgroups are among the best on the Internet, but
there are still no guarantees of "service".
If you want more than that, you can certainly get it. But if you want
someone to dedicate their time to solving your problem, on your terms,
you will have to pay for that. One obvious source of that is Borland
support and another is professional consultants - I am sure that Lori
would be glad to give you a quote if you are interested.
Quote
and white spaces perhaps confused you,
I do not think they confused her at all. She correctly recognized them
as evidence that your JBuilder installation is invalid.
Quote
but the white spaces are not the source of the problem !
Disregard them.
If you want someone to help you with a problem, you should eliminate
any noise that might confuse the issue. That means that you either
correct the problem or you show some convincing evidence that it has no
bearing on the problem.
Quote
Once upon the time, someone mentioned, that exporting the project from
JBuilder to ant will solve all problems. Well, that was one fast and
wrong answer,
Here is what she said:
Have you tried the "Export to Ant" wizard? Ant is freely
available, and can be installed on and run from a CD.
Taken literally, this is simply a question. If interpreted somewhat
more liberally, you could take it as a suggestion that you take a look
at the "Export to Ant" wizard to see if it satisfied your needs. As to
how you could take this to mean that "ant will solve all problems",
well, I am completely confused by that. Or perhaps it is you?
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
---------------------------------------------------
Before sending me e-mail, please read:
www.JPMcGrath.net/newsgroups/e-mail.html
 

Re:running tomcat from (using) ant - again

Hello again,
It seems that you really like talking to me about everything, except
perhaps, the issue I asked. Well, then, let's talk. Although you already
mentioned that was wrong place to ask about ANT, I assume that you wish to
continue in wrong direction and talk about anything.
You seem to be trying to convince me that I got the right answer - and you
perhaps assume that I don't see how the answer helped me?
Well, can I say: "it doesn't help me at all", "it is not what I expected"?
If I can't - please let me know what you would be pleased to hear - so I
might wish to use it in future, when I got a wrong answer. I feel very
comfortable here to continue discussion and ask again and again if I find it
appropriate. Is that wrong? Against some rule maybe, do you think that
Borland has some rule about that? If so, you should have informed me about
that, I would complain. Anyway, I really appreciate answers and good will of
all people here, including TeamB as well - truly I do. That's why I don't
understand, why do you want to fight with me. What did I do to you? Do you
hate my questions for some reason? Why do you spend 1 page to fight with me
and 0 lines to answer my questions? What is your point? Really? Don't you
see that this kind of conversation usually drives nowhere?
Quote
You should understand that these are
peer-supported newsgroups. You post a question and hope that someone
knows the answer, or at least can provide some help. And if someone
who can provide help has both the time and the inclination, they will
post a reply. But there is no guarantee that you will get any reply,
and even if you do, there is no guarantee that what the person has to
offer will help you.
I understand that very well; however, when I offer an answer to someone,
believe me, it is much more constructive than, for example, your last
response.
What you should understand is that it is not good to take things personally
and fight with people here. You should keep in mind that you sign your mails
with TeamB. Therefore if you wish to exchange personal mails with someone,
you might want to use your personal mail, or perhaps not to answer at all
would be wise.
Although you have kindly directed me to the mail-list ant.apache.org,
I am afraid that I will have to disregard that, because I really believe
that there could be someone who can help me tomcat using ANT.
Thanks for writing to me anyway - every problem has and a bright side as
well, thus I would feel very happy if we booth learned something from our
long mails, and I guess the summary would be: "it's waste of our time". I
might not be available to talk to you next time, however, don't take it
personally again.
Best regards
Peter.
"John McGrath [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
On 9/3/2003 at 7:46:18 PM, Petar wrote:

>I understand that this in not an ANT newsgroup, therefore I will
>understand if nobody answers to this question - thus I apologize
>if I am bothering you people.

If the problem is with Ant (and Tomcat), then this is definitely not
the right place for it. You might try the Ant-User mailing list. You
can subscribe to it at ant.apache.org.

>I have been dealing ant & tomcat for a long time. I am surprised
>how little attention Lori paid to this problem, since this is a
>usual and common problem.

What sort of a reaction were you expecting? I saw three messages from
you that she responded to:

In one message, you asked about tools for creating JAR files and she
told you about the Archive Builder.

In another message, you asked about creating a build configuration from
JBuilder's project file. She suggested that you look at the "Export to
Ant" wizard, which is the only thing in JBuilder that was likely to be
able to solve your problem. It turns out that it does not, but it was
still a good suggestion.

And in another, you posted a message about a problem with Ant. It was
clear from your message that you have improperly installed your copy of
JBuilder, so if the problem is in any way related to JBuilder, it made
a lot of sense to point that out, and that is what she did.

You seem to think Lori should have spent a lot more time helping you to
solve your problem. You should understand that these are
peer-supported newsgroups. You post a question and hope that someone
knows the answer, or at least can provide some help. And if someone
who can provide help has both the time and the inclination, they will
post a reply. But there is no guarantee that you will get any reply,
and even if you do, there is no guarantee that what the person has to
offer will help you.

Borland has set up TeamB (www.teamb.com) to make it somewhat
more likely that you will get a useful answer. We receive
(non-monetary) benefits from Borland and we agree to spend time on the
newsgroups, among other things. But that does not change the
fundamental nature of the newsgroup. You still depend on someone
having the answer and having the time to reply. I think you will find
that the Borland newsgroups are among the best on the Internet, but
there are still no guarantees of "service".

If you want more than that, you can certainly get it. But if you want
someone to dedicate their time to solving your problem, on your terms,
you will have to pay for that. One obvious source of that is Borland
support and another is professional consultants - I am sure that Lori
would be glad to give you a quote if you are interested.

>and white spaces perhaps confused you,

I do not think they confused her at all. She correctly recognized them
as evidence that your JBuilder installation is invalid.

>but the white spaces are not the source of the problem !
>Disregard them.

If you want someone to help you with a problem, you should eliminate
any noise that might confuse the issue. That means that you either
correct the problem or you show some convincing evidence that it has no
bearing on the problem.

>Once upon the time, someone mentioned, that exporting the project from
>JBuilder to ant will solve all problems. Well, that was one fast and
>wrong answer,

Here is what she said:

Have you tried the "Export to Ant" wizard? Ant is freely
available, and can be installed on and run from a CD.

Taken literally, this is simply a question. If interpreted somewhat
more liberally, you could take it as a suggestion that you take a look
at the "Export to Ant" wizard to see if it satisfied your needs. As to
how you could take this to mean that "ant will solve all problems",
well, I am completely confused by that. Or perhaps it is you?

--
Regards,

John McGrath [TeamB]

---------------------------------------------------
Before sending me e-mail, please read:
www.JPMcGrath.net/newsgroups/e-mail.html
 

{smallsort}

Re:running tomcat from (using) ant - again

Take a look at Struts-1.1 build-tests.xml. It uses Ant to lunch Tomcats
-D
"Petar" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
Hi again,



I understand that this in not an ANT newsgroup, therefore I will
understand
if nobody answers to this question - thus I apologize if I am bothering
you
people.



I have been dealing ant & tomcat for a long time. I am surprised how
little
attention Lori paid to this problem, since this is a usual and common
problem. Some people face the problem while launching it (as I do), others
get problem with ZoneSomething jar, then again some of them experience
some
weird ZIP Archive security problems, and so on.



There are tons of examples on the web about launching tomcat from ant, but
very little of them work correctly. I have tried to launch tomcat from ant
at least in 10 different ways with or without white spaces, using progra~1
instead of "program files", with and without forks, with and without arg
and
jvmarg and using all the ZOO from the syntax of the ant. I also tried on
different PCs and some of them had the default JBuilder installation, etc,
etc.



Finally, the example I posted here was just to give you a picture of what
I
am trying to do, and white spaces perhaps confused you, but the white
spaces
are not the source of the problem ! Disregard them.



Now I will rephrase the question:



If someone has a working ant target to launch tomcat using ant, without
using external batch or without fork, please share it with me. I will
figure
it out on my own and find and fix errors in my build.xml. I find quite
some
difficulties with ant manuals which I consider to be very pure.



Once upon the time, someone mentioned, that exporting the project from
JBuilder to ant will solve all problems. Well, that was one fast and wrong
answer, since Jbuilder does not export the run configurations. Therefore
export facility is not appropriate to launch something from ant, perhaps
only to compile.



Thank you!









>All of the install instructions in Jbuilder explicitly tell you NOT to
>install JBuilder in a directory with spaces in the name. Most Java
>applications don't play nicely with such directories, so it is policy to
>avoid them.
>
>You have installed JBuilder under C:\Program Files. That is your
problem.
>
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Lori Olson (TeamB)



"Lori M Olson (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3f5518d6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Petar wrote:
>>I need to run tomcat using ant and buil.xml.
>>
>>First solution works:
>>
>><exec executable="cmd" vmlauncher="false">
>><arg line="/c "D:\work\mytomcat.bat\startup.bat"" />
>></exec>
>>
>>bat has one line:
>>java -classpath
>>
..bla...\bootstrap.jar;...bla...\tools.jar" -Dcatalina.home="C:/Program
>>Files/JBuilder/thirdparty/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6-LE-jdk14"
>>org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -config "d:\work\server8080.xml"
start
>>
>
>All of the install instructions in Jbuilder explicitly tell you NOT to
>install JBuilder in a directory with spaces in the name. Most Java
>applications don't play nicely with such directories, so it is policy to
>avoid them.
>
>You have installed JBuilder under C:\Program Files. That is your
problem.
>
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Lori Olson (TeamB)
>
>------------
>
>Save yourself, and everyone else, some time and search the
>newsgroups and the FAQ-O-Matic before posting your next
>question.
>
>Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
>www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
>Other Newsgroup Searches:
>www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
>Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:
>www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html
>


 

Re:running tomcat from (using) ant - again

Good, that works.
Thanks a lot.
"Dan Tran" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
Take a look at Struts-1.1 build-tests.xml. It uses Ant to lunch Tomcats

-D


"Petar" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Hi again,
>
>
>
>I understand that this in not an ANT newsgroup, therefore I will
understand
>if nobody answers to this question - thus I apologize if I am bothering
you
>people.
>
>
>
>I have been dealing ant & tomcat for a long time. I am surprised how
little
>attention Lori paid to this problem, since this is a usual and common
>problem. Some people face the problem while launching it (as I do),
others
>get problem with ZoneSomething jar, then again some of them experience
some
>weird ZIP Archive security problems, and so on.
>
>
>
>There are tons of examples on the web about launching tomcat from ant,
but
>very little of them work correctly. I have tried to launch tomcat from
ant
>at least in 10 different ways with or without white spaces, using
progra~1
>instead of "program files", with and without forks, with and without arg
and
>jvmarg and using all the ZOO from the syntax of the ant. I also tried on
>different PCs and some of them had the default JBuilder installation,
etc,
>etc.
>
>
>
>Finally, the example I posted here was just to give you a picture of
what
I
>am trying to do, and white spaces perhaps confused you, but the white
spaces
>are not the source of the problem ! Disregard them.
>
>
>
>Now I will rephrase the question:
>
>
>
>If someone has a working ant target to launch tomcat using ant, without
>using external batch or without fork, please share it with me. I will
figure
>it out on my own and find and fix errors in my build.xml. I find quite
some
>difficulties with ant manuals which I consider to be very pure.
>
>
>
>Once upon the time, someone mentioned, that exporting the project from
>JBuilder to ant will solve all problems. Well, that was one fast and
wrong
>answer, since Jbuilder does not export the run configurations. Therefore
>export facility is not appropriate to launch something from ant, perhaps
>only to compile.
>
>
>
>Thank you!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>All of the install instructions in Jbuilder explicitly tell you NOT to
>>install JBuilder in a directory with spaces in the name. Most Java
>>applications don't play nicely with such directories, so it is policy
to
>>avoid them.
>>
>>You have installed JBuilder under C:\Program Files. That is your
problem.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Lori Olson (TeamB)
>
>
>
>"Lori M Olson (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:3f5518d6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>Petar wrote:
>>>I need to run tomcat using ant and buil.xml.
>>>
>>>First solution works:
>>>
>>><exec executable="cmd" vmlauncher="false">
>>><arg line="/c "D:\work\mytomcat.bat\startup.bat"" />
>>></exec>
>>>
>>>bat has one line:
>>>java -classpath
>>>
>..bla...\bootstrap.jar;...bla...\tools.jar" -Dcatalina.home="C:/Program
>>>Files/JBuilder/thirdparty/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6-LE-jdk14"
>>>org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -config
"d:\work\server8080.xml"
>start
>>>
>>
>>All of the install instructions in Jbuilder explicitly tell you NOT to
>>install JBuilder in a directory with spaces in the name. Most Java
>>applications don't play nicely with such directories, so it is policy
to
>>avoid them.
>>
>>You have installed JBuilder under C:\Program Files. That is your
problem.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Lori Olson (TeamB)
>>
>>------------
>>
>>Save yourself, and everyone else, some time and search the
>>newsgroups and the FAQ-O-Matic before posting your next
>>question.
>>
>>Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
>>www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
>>Other Newsgroup Searches:
>>www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
>>Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:
>>www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html
>>
>
>


 

Re:running tomcat from (using) ant - again

On 9/4/2003 at 8:53:55 PM, Petar wrote:
Quote
It seems that you really like talking to me about everything,
except perhaps, the issue I asked.
As I pointed out in my previous message, you will get an answer to your
question if someone has the answer and the inclination to take the time
to answer you.
Quote
You seem to be trying to convince me that I got the right answer -
and you perhaps assume that I don't see how the answer helped me?

Well, can I say: "it doesn't help me at all", "it is not what I
expected"?
Yes, but I would recommend that you phrase it something like "Thank you
very much for taking the time to answer me. Unfortunately, that does
not help me because...". That works much better than antagonizing the
person who has taken the time to try to help you.
Quote
I really appreciate answers and good will of all people here,
including TeamB as well - truly I do.
That is good. Unfortunately, your messages do not reflect that.
Quote
That's why I don't understand, why do you want to fight with me.
I do not want to fight, rather I want to point out to you that it is
not a good idea to abuse people who are trying to help you. It was my
hope that it would get you to behave in a more reasonable manner.
Quote
What did I do to you? Do you hate my questions for some reason?
You did nothing to me personally. One of the jobs that TeamB members
have is to try to keep the newsgroups civil. I was (and am) trying to
do that job.
Quote
Why do you spend 1 page to fight with me and 0 lines to answer
my questions? What is your point? Really?
You seem to be assuming that I have the answer to your question, which
is not necessarily the case. And if I do, how likely do you think it
is that I would take the time to try to help you after you abused the
last person who tried to do that?
Quote
Although you have kindly directed me to the mail-list
ant.apache.org, I am afraid that I will have to disregard
that, because I really believe that there could be someone who can
help me tomcat using ANT.
I presume you meant to say that you *do not* believe there could be
someone who could help you. Nevertheless, that is probably the best
place to ask. If you are not going to accept the advice that you
receive, one wonders why you would bother asking for more.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
---------------------------------------------------
Before sending me e-mail, please read:
www.JPMcGrath.net/newsgroups/e-mail.html