JBuilder and Struts 1.1 patch

2003-08-09 07:22:38 AM
jbuilder23
Hi,
is there any patch for JBuilder 9 to support Struts 1.1? or when will it be
ready?
Amir Pashazadeh

Re:JBuilder and Struts 1.1 patch

Amir Pashazadeh wrote:
is there any patch for JBuilder 9 to support Struts 1.1? or when will it
be ready?

Amir Pashazadeh
Yes, and I spoke with Borland last week about documenting this. I am not
sure exactly what you will need to do, but look on the Borland site and do
a search. The JBuilder team informed me that they will soon put up this
information.
FWIU, it simply means installing the Struts 1.1 on the classpath of JBuilder
and creating a struts lib that points to the Struts 1.1 jar files. You will
have to modify the Action classes to use execute rather than perform, which
is deprecated in Struts 1.1.
You could, as well, replace the current Struts folder with the 1.1 folder. I
would make a backup first however of the Struts 1.0 folder before
attempting this. See my FWIU and try this first, however. Even if you are
successful using 1.1 (and this is what I understood to be true by the dev
team), the wizard will not auto-create the new methods, so you will have to
change the method signatures (aka change definitions or override them) to
make sure that you are not using deprecated methods. Of course you could
always modify the Open Tool that is used to create the Struts wizard to use
the newer methods. ActionForms and Action classes are the only ones I know
where the default methods would be deprecated from 1.0 Struts to 1.1
Good luck!!

Re:JBuilder and Struts 1.1 patch

It's fairly straight forward. Follow the instructions in the jbuilder 9
online docs. If you have any more questions
let me know. I have a tutorial available for download on using struts1.1,
ejb and jboss. You can get it at
www.javabitsnbytes.com it uses ant and xdoclet so you don't need any ide,
vi would be enough.
Brent
"Amir Pashazadeh" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
is there any patch for JBuilder 9 to support Struts 1.1? or when will it
be
ready?

Amir Pashazadeh

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder and Struts 1.1 patch

After a bit of reading and some experimentation, this is what worked for me:
1. Copy the struts 1.1 release into the Jbuilder9\thirdparty directory.
2. Copy the struts 1.1 src into the extra's JBuilder9\directory.
3. Select Tools | Configure Libraries.
4. Choose the Struts library and click the Framework tab. Set the Framework
option to <None>.
In Mike Rozlog's "Mastering Jbuilder" book he mentions that you can only
have one Struts framework in Jbuilder. I have no need for Struts 1.0 so this
is what I did. Your mileage may vary.
5. Now click New... From the New Library Wizard enter Struts 1.1 for the
name and Jbuilder for the location.
6. Use the Add... button and select the
Jbuilder9\thirdparty\jakarta-struts-1.1 directory.
All the .jar files were added for me. You can leave this as is, or remove
all but the \lib\struts.jar. I've tried both and haven't noticed a
difference as yet. If someone knows of an issue, please speak up.
7. Click OK and now modify the Class, Source, Documentation and Framework
tabs.
Simply put, I used the same entries as found in Struts 1.0, adjusted for the
new directory locations. Don't forget to choose Struts as the framework.
In other resources I've read I was told you'd have to modify the DTD
reference in the struts-config.xml file that is generated as it used the
Stuts 1.0 DTD. However I'm finding that the struts-config.xml file is
generated correctly for 1.1.
That's about it. One other thing though: by default Jbuilder generates
ActionForwards that call "perform" which you should change to "execute".
Hope this helps a bit.
Chris