Why use JBuilder?

2004-02-26 02:19:26 PM
jbuilder8
How to propose management to use JBuilder?
Really accelerate development? Any data support?

Re:Why use JBuilder?

X wrote:
How to propose management to use JBuilder?

Really accelerate development? Any data support?

You'll have to register to look at these. Don't worry, they won't send
you anything by email if you don't want it.
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,31301,00.html
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,31302,00.html
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Re:Why use JBuilder?

Lori M Olson (TeamB) wrote:
X wrote:

>How to propose management to use JBuilder?
>
>Really accelerate development? Any data support?

You'll have to register to look at these. Don't worry, they won't send
you anything by email if you don't want it.

bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,31301,00.html
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,31302,00.html

Sigh. Never mind that part about registering, because you don't have
to. I'm having a bad day...
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:Why use JBuilder?

How to propose management to use JBuilder?
How to propose anything to management?
Proposition should have "bussines look&feel" and a bit of "scientific/technical".
Executive summary - everything mentioned bellow, but in short and terse sentences, for quick reading,
with references to bellow
First, define your needs and goals - you need this, because you need to do that ...
Why do you need to do that?
Your options - things that would fullfill your need, how much they cost, who else uses them,
success stories, case studies, comparisons
Your choice - why is your choice better than other options
Who else shares your thougths, who did you consult also? (co-workers, outside consultants, experts, PhDs ...)

Re:Why use JBuilder?

Buch wrote:
# Executive summary - everything mentioned bellow, but in short and terse sentences, for
# quick reading, with references to bellow
I would love to bellow short and terse sentences at my manager.

Re:Why use JBuilder?

# Executive summary - everything mentioned bellow, but in short and terse
sentences, for
# quick reading, with references to bellow

I would love to bellow short and terse sentences at my manager.
They love short&terse, but only when they read. You can't talk to them like
that, because they would
feel like their ego is attacked.
But if you put summary, and then explain it afterwards, they will pretend
that they read it all, and would like it,
because they would have more time to do other things ... like sleeping. :)
But you need to elaborate, because otherwise it would look like you did not
work on it enough.

Re:Why use JBuilder?

"X" <XXX>wrote:
How to propose management to use JBuilder?

Really accelerate development? Any data support?
Here are my personal reasons for using JB in a short bulletlist.
(1) The IDE feels and flows naturally.
Many IDE are cluttered and non-intuitive. JBuilder works like I think.
(2) The Component Palette layout.
Compared to tools like Net Beans or Eclipse, JBuilder components are
logically laid out and rapidly accessible. No need for Drop Down list, etc.
to get to the component group I am looking for.
(3) The Built in testing procedures: The integration of JEdit and Cactus
test are not only integrated, but they work. In a matter of seconds, I can
build test using either one of these methodologies.
(4) Very good Web Services integration (JB X Enterprise). Hook that EJB or
Java Bean into a Web Service? Simple with JBuilder, easier than anything
else I have used (Net Beans, Eclipse, Sun One).
(5) stability. The JBuilder IDE is stable and steady. I tried the Sun One
Pro IDE (due to new Web services integration and the CachedRowSet hooks
into the JComponent Visual Controls (JTextBox, JLabel, JComboBox, etc). and
it constantly crashed on me.
(6) Integration with a bevy of Web Servers.
This is a big one. Most of the other IDEs are tied too closely with
proprietary models. I Ike Oracle JDeveloper next to JB the best, but it is
too closely tied to the Oracle App Server. JB works well with BEA, IBM Web
Sphere, Sun One (though I have not tried this one), JBoss and Borland's own
App Server,
(7) Debugging modules
The de{*word*81} is excellent in JBuilder. Better than other (with the exception
of Oracle JDeveloper which I would say is even with JB's de{*word*81}
features).
(8) Full Control over source code:
This is one of my pet peeves with Net Beans and Sun One. The only way you
can override the wizard of basic methods of a class in Net Bean is through
an outside editor. Dumb, IMHO, but I understand somewhat since they are
dependent on XML files for structure.
(9) Refracturing.
although weaker than some IDEs, works well.
(10) Great support community
Like here and Code Central.
(11) Accessible Plug ins
Next to Net Beans there are more plugins for the latest and greatest for JB
than any other IDE. They are also much easier to locate than Eclipse
(usually all listed on Code Central).
(12) Database Components
Though there are some bugs in these, for RAD development of GUI Swing
applets or applications, they do save time
(13) Jar Builders, Web Deployment features, native exe/bin builders.
Not much to say except the Wizards generally work. Saves a lot of deployment
time.
(14) ANT Integration
Works well
(15) Visual Struts Builder:
Very handy and makes it easy to see the process flow of the struts
application.It is easy to get lost in a hurry in a large struts
application. This feature is a welcome productivity enhancer.
(16) Support to Struts or JSTL
Support either/or.
(17) Fast JDK switching.
Define once, change with one click
(18) Library structure.
Though some find this archane at first, it pays off when doing many
projects. Define once and it is on the classpath with jar,ear, and war file
builders makes deployment much easier.
(19) Code formatting
Works well, most of the time.
(20) Visual EJB Builder:
Others have this to, but this one seems the most intuitive
(21) Simple UML Model
Once you design, and throughout the development process, you can view
relationships and hierarchy.
there are other reasons to be sure, but this is a small bulletized list why
I prefer JBuilder. Overall, these add up to one big reasons why I use it
over others, MORE PRODUCTIVE WITH JBUILDER OVERALL, THAN OTHERS.

Re:Why use JBuilder?

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:40:32 UTC, pnichols < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
<cut>
there are other reasons to be sure, but this is a small bulletized list why
I prefer JBuilder. Overall, these add up to one big reasons why I use it
over others, MORE PRODUCTIVE WITH JBUILDER OVERALL, THAN OTHERS.
:-)
It's refreshing to see 21 points of praise for a Borland product,
since I mostly see criticism and sometimes FUD in the newsgroups...
I also like JBuilder, although the only other Java IDE I have used is
VisualAge for Java.
--
Per Johansson
Systems developer

Re:Why use JBuilder?

Per Johansson wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:40:32 UTC, pnichols < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

<cut>

>there are other reasons to be sure, but this is a small bulletized list
>why I prefer JBuilder. Overall, these add up to one big reasons why I use
>it over others, MORE PRODUCTIVE WITH JBUILDER OVERALL, THAN OTHERS.

:-)

It's refreshing to see 21 points of praise for a Borland product,
since I mostly see criticism and sometimes FUD in the newsgroups...

I also like JBuilder, although the only other Java IDE I have used is
VisualAge for Java.

Yuk, Viusal Age, I never did like that IDE, possibly the same reason I am
not wild about Eclipse either. :)
However, I did reread my post and I made a series of mistakes. They are
listed below.
(3) This should read
The Built in testing procedures: The integration of JUnit (not JEdit) and
Cactus test are not only integrated, but they work. In a matter of seconds,
I can build test using either one of these methodologies.
(11) Should read:
(11) Accessible Plug ins
Next to Eclipse (not Net Beans) there are more plugins for the latest and
greatest for JB than any other IDE. They are also much easier to locate
than Eclipse.
(21) Should read
Once you design and begin coding, you can check on relationships and
hierarchal structure throughout the development process.
Have a good one!