Beginer question

2003-12-02 12:02:42 PM
jbuilder0
Hi,
I'm a Delphi 6 Developer and I'd like to start learning Java using the
JBuilder Personal Edition; it'll be my first contact with the Java World.
1- Having experience with Delphi developing tools for client/server
applications, how long would you think will be the learning curve to feel
confortable in java to build data base applications?
2- The provided documentation for personal edition, its appropiate for a
person that would start from 0 in java?
3- Would you recomend a good java introductory book ? or for Java database
applications?
I intend to use Java as multiplatform tool for Client/server or multi-tier
database applications.
Thank you,
Guillermo N.

Re:Beginer question

This web site isn't running. Why?

Re:Beginer question

Guillermo N. wrote:
I'm a Delphi 6 Developer and I'd like to start learning Java using the
JBuilder Personal Edition; it'll be my first contact with the Java World.
1- Having experience with Delphi developing tools for client/server
applications, how long would you think will be the learning curve to feel
confortable in java to build data base applications?
2- The provided documentation for personal edition, its appropiate for a
person that would start from 0 in java?
3- Would you recomend a good java introductory book ? or for Java database
applications?

I intend to use Java as multiplatform tool for Client/server or multi-tier
database applications.

Thank you,
Guillermo N.
You could start with Java for Delphi Programmers site.
(www.computer-logic.net/javadelphi/).
I personally like the Deitel series books, "Java 2, How to Program".
Expensive, but very good. It is a text book that we use in corporate
teachings and colleges.
Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java" is a good book as well and can be
downloaded for free in PDF format. Do a google search for it.
As far as Database programming, I find that IBM (www.ibm.com/developer) has
some very good tutorials. Please get a handle on JDBC in general, before
becoming dependent upon the Database Components in JBuilder. They do make
things more Delphish, but you would serve yourself better learning JDBC in
general instead of relying totally on the DBComponents. At times they are
appropriate, at othet times straight JDBC will work better for you.
My apporach would be the Java for Delphi Programmers first as an
introduction to the simularities of Java and Delphi and a good brief
introduction to Java, Then I woudl tackle the Deitel series of books, and
the IBM tutorials. Sun has some good ones as well, but many of the IBM
Tutorials are interactive.

{smallsort}

Re:Beginer question

Thank you very much !!!
"pNichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje

Arda Han wrote:
This web site isn't running. Why?
>(www.computer-logic.net/javadelphi/).
Make sure the forwardslash after javadelphi is showing in yoiur url.
Site runs fine for me.